Dr Zhe Hui Hoo MBChB, MRCP (UK), MSc (Clinical Research)
Clinical Research Fellow/PhD Student
Medical Statistics Group
Design, Trials & Statistics, ScHARR
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Room 1.03, Innovation Centre, 217, Portobello, Sheffield, S1 4DP
Cystic Fibrosis Office, Brearley Outpatient, Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield S5 7AU
Tel: +44 (0) 114 226 6281
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
I studied medicine in Edinburgh before moving to Cardiff as a core medical trainee and then to Sheffield as an NIHR academic clinical fellow (ACF) for respiratory medicine and general (internal) medicine. During my respiratory registrar training in Sheffield, I developed a sub-specialty interest in cystic fibrosis.
I therefore spent my ACF research period pursuing health services research relating to medication adherence in cystic fibrosis. The work I did during this period led to an NIHR doctoral research fellowship (DRF) which will build on the progress I made as an ACF.
My general research interests are in the area of health services research essential to deliver a better performing healthcare system. More specifically, I am interested in using time series analysis of electronically captured behaviour data to understand habit and to support behaviour change among people with CF & healthcare professionals.
- Honorary clinical fellow respiratory medicine, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Title of PhD: Exploring habit formation in medication adherence for an archetypal long-term condition: time series analyses of objective nebuliser data in people with Cystic Fibrosis.
- Prof Mike Campbell, Design, Trials & Statistics, ScHARR
- Prof Stephen Walters, Design, Trials & Statistics, ScHARR
- Dr Martin Wildman, Health Services Research, ScHARR
- Dr Ben Gardner, Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience, King’s College London
Please click here to view all Dr Zhe Hui Hoo's Publications
- Hoo ZH, Curley R, Walters SJ, Campbell MJ & Wildman MJ (2019) Exploring the implications of different approaches to estimate centre-level adherence using objective adherence data in an adult cystic fibrosis centre - a retrospective observational study. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis. View this article in WRRO
- Hoo ZH, Bramley NR, Curley R, Edenborough FP, Walters SJ, Campbell MJ & Wildman MJ (2019) Intravenous antibiotic use and exacerbation events in an adult cystic fibrosis centre: A prospective observational study. Respiratory Medicine. View this article in WRRO
- Hoo Z, Campbell MJ, Walters SJ & Wildman MJ (2019) Understanding FEV1 for the purpose of cystic fibrosis registry comparisons: Does bias in annual review FEV1 affect between-centre comparison within the UK? An analysis of registry data. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. View this article in WRRO
- Hoo Z, Coates E, Maguire C, Cantrill H, Shafi N, Nash E, McGowan A, Bourke S, Fight W, Daniels T , Nightingale J et al (2018) Pragmatic criteria to define chronic pseudomonas aeruginosa infection among adults with cystic fibrosis. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. View this article in WRRO
- Hoo Z, Curley R, Campbell MJ, Walters SJ & Wildman MJ (2018) The importance of data issues when comparing cystic fibrosis registry outcomes between countries: Are annual review FEV1 in the UK only collected when subjects are well?. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 24(4), 745-751. View this article in WRRO
- Hoo Z, Gardner B, Arden MA, Waterhouse S, Walters SJ, Campbell MJ, Hind D, Maguire C, Dewar J & Wildman MJ (2018) Role of habit in treatment adherence among adults with cystic fibrosis. Thorax. View this article in WRRO
- Hoo ZH, Campbell MJ, Curley R, Walters SJ & Wildman MJ (2018) Do cystic fibrosis centres with the lowest FEV1 still use the least amount of intravenous antibiotics? A registry-based comparison of intravenous antibiotic use among adult CF centres in the UK. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis, 17(3), 360-367. View this article in WRRO
- Hoo Z, Curley R & Wildman MJ (2017) Potential effect of centre size on continuity of care and healthcare performance. British Medical Journal, 2017(356). View this article in WRRO
- Hoo Z, Campbell MJ, Curley R & Wildman MJ (2017) An empirical method to cluster objective nebulizer adherence data among adults with cystic fibrosis. Patient Preference and Adherence, 11, 631-642. View this article in WRRO
- Hoo ZH, Curley R, Campbell MJ, Walters SJ, Hind D & Wildman MJ (2016) Accurate reporting of adherence to inhaled therapies in adults with cystic fibrosis: methods to calculate normative adherence. Patient Preference and Adherence, 10, 887-900. View this article in WRRO
- Hoo ZH, Wildman MJ, Curley R & Gardner B (2014) Part VI: Delivering a “Personalised” Behaviour Change Intervention to Support Adherence with Nebulised Treatment with the “PDSA cycle” at an Individual Level. Journal of Improvement Science, 17, 1-7.
- Hoo ZH, Wildman MJ, Curley R, Hinchliffe C & Gardner B (2014) Part V: Time of Nebuliser Use and the Process of Habit Formation. Journal of Improvement Science, 16, 1-10.
- Wildman MJ & Hoo ZH (2014) Moving cystic fibrosis care from rescue to prevention by embedding adherence measurement in routine care. Paediatric Respiratory Reviews, 15, 16-18.
Conference proceedings papers
- Hoo ZH, Campbell MJ, Curley RE & Wildman M (2016) 268 Rescue and prevention in cystic fibrosis: an exploration of the impact of adherence to preventative nebulised therapy upon subsequent rescue therapy with IV antibiotics in adults with CF. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis, Vol. 15 (pp S120-S120) View this article in WRRO
- Hoo ZH, Daniels T, Bradley JM, Heller BW, Rose C & Wildman MJ (2014) Feasibility study to objectively measure Airway Clearance Technique in Cystic Fibrosis. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis, Vol. 13(Suppl 2) (pp S30-S30)