Roberta Ara BSc Hons (Sheffield Hallam), MSc Hons (Sheffield)
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0788
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
- Assessing cost-effectiveness of new interventions
- Arthritis, obesity, cardiovascular disease
- Health related quality of life:
* Issues involved in populating models with utilities
* Mapping between preference-based instruments
I lecture on the MSc Health Economics and Decision Modelling and supervise MSc dissertation projects. I also lecture on the short course "Using Utility Data in Cost-Effectiveness Models" and associated training courses.
- Eun-Ju Kim: Optimal cost-effectiveness resource allocation modelling of antihypertensive drugs (http://www.shef.ac.uk/scharr/sections/heds/staff/kim_e)
I am currently working on the following projects:
Economic Evaluation of Health and Social Care Policy Research Unit (EEPRU) (Enhancement and Extension)
Co-Investigator (Principal Investigator: John Brazier)
Department of Health £4,128,201 (2010-2018)
Utilities in Health Economic Evaluation: Key Aspects, Preferred Methods, and Best Practices
Funder: Takeda Pharmeceuticals International AG
Cost-Effectiveness of physical activity programmes in people with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee
- Ara R, Kearns B, vanHout BA & Brazier JE (2014) Predicting preference-based utility values using partial proportional odds models. BMC Research Notes, 7(1), 438-438. View this article in WRRO
- Kearns B, Ara R, Wailoo A, Manca A, Alava MH, Abrams K & Campbell M (2013) Good practice guidelines for the use of statistical regression models in economic evaluations.. Pharmacoeconomics, 31(8), 643-652.
- Ara R & Wailoo AJ (2013) Estimating health state utility values for joint health conditions: a conceptual review and critique of the current evidence.. Med Decis Making, 33(2), 139-153.
- Ara R & Wailoo A (2012) Using health state utility values in models exploring the cost-effectiveness of health technologies.. Value Health, 15(6), 971-974.
- Ara R, Blake L, Gray L, Hernández M, Crowther M, Dunkley A, Warren F, Jackson R, Rees A, Stevenson M, Abrams K, Cooper N, Davies M, Khunti K & Sutton A (2012) What is the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of using drugs in treating obese patients in primary care? A systematic review.. Health Technol Assess, 16(5), iii-195.
- Ara R, Pandor A, Stevens J, Rafia R, Ward SE, Rees A, Durrington PN, Reynolds TM, Wierzbicki AS & Stevenson M (2012) Prescribing high-dose lipid-lowering therapy early to avoid subsequent cardiovascular events: is this a cost-effective strategy?. Eur J Prev Cardiol, 19(3), 474-483.
- Ara R & Wailoo AJ (2011) A LITERATURE REVIEW OF METHODS USED TO ESTIMATE MEAN PREFERENCE-BASED UTILITIES FOR COMORBIDITIES USING PUBLISHED SUMMARY STATISTICS. VALUE IN HEALTH, 14(7), A425-A425.
- Ara R & Brazier JE (2011) Using health state utility values from the general population to approximate baselines in decision analytic models when condition-specific data are not available.. Value Health, 14(4), 539-545. View this article in WRRO
- Ara R & Brazier JE (2010) Populating an economic model with health state utility values: moving toward better practice.. Value Health, 13(5), 509-518.
- Ara R & Brazier J (2008) Deriving an algorithm to convert the eight mean SF-36 dimension scores into a mean EQ-5D preference-based score from published studies (where patient level data are not available).. Value Health, 11(7), 1131-1143.