Postgraduate Research Student
School of Health and Related Research
University of Sheffield
30 Regent Street
I am a part-time PhD student at ScHARR (under the supervision of Professor Aki Tsuchiya and Dr Jenny Owen), and a senior health economist at BresMed; a consultancy based in Sheffield.
The aims of my PhD research are to:
• investigate what opportunities matter to young people,
• investigate how these opportunities, in both the present and the future, are affected by health problems in adolescence and
• identify how young people (and their families) reduce the negative effects of illness on their current and future opportunities.
The research is undertaken from the theoretical perspective of the capability approach.
Title of Research
Good health: a foundation for the development of capabilities which foster well-being in the present and future (Faculty Studentship 2011)
• The formation of capabilities over time
• Health Technology Assessment
Senior Health Economist, BresMed (July 2011-present)
1. Popli G, Gladwell D, and Tsuchiya A, (2013) Estimating the Critical and Sensitive Periods of Investment in Early Childhood: A Methodological Note. Social Science & Medicine.
2. Lee D, Gladwell D, Batty A, Brereton N, Tate E (2013) The Cost Effectiveness of Licensed Oromucosal Midazolam (Buccolam®) for the Treatment of Children Experiencing Acute Epileptic Seizures: An Approach When Trial Evidence is Limited. Pediatric Drugs 15: 151-162