Dr Edward Goka (BSc.PH, MPH, MRes, PhD)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield S1 4DA
Tel: +44 (0)114 222 5154
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I obtained my PhD in medicine from the University of Manchester (UK) in May 2014. I also have an MRes in epidemiology obtained from the University of York (UK) in December 2010, a Master of Public Health (MPH) obtained from the National Yangming University in Taiwan in June 2006 and a Bachelor of Science in Public Health (BSc.PH) obtained from the University of Malawi in March 2001. I joined ScHARR in September 2014 as a Research Associate (Evidence Synthesis).
Prior to this, I practiced public health at the Lilongwe City Council in Malawi for ten years (1997 – 2007) where I was responsible for the provision of preventive health services to the city residents including: Infectious diseases control, chronic diseases control, occupational health, maternal and child health, water and sanitation, health promotion and environmental health services. I also worked as a lecturer in communicable diseases control (May 2002 to August 2004) at the Malawi College of Health Sciences (Lilongwe Campus).
- Health technology assessment on the effectiveness of treatments or public health interventions
- Epidemiology of infectious diseases (e.g. viruses) and cancers due to infections (e.g. hepatitis B, C)
- Disease surveillance, e.g. the syndromic surveillance
- Health behavioural research, e.g. understanding the factors associated with acceptance of HIV testing
- Global health research (Health Services Research/Outcome Research in clinical and public health interventions)
- Translational medical research (design and validation of diagnostic tests/assays for viruses)
- The relationship between hospital and surgeon volume and outcomes in vascular surgery (Projects Grants for Research, NIHR)
Recently Completed Research
- Multiple Technology Assessment (MTA): Bisphosphonates in the prevention of fragility fractures in osteoporosis (NICE project)
- Single Technology Assessment (STA): Certolizumab Pegol (CZP) for treating rheumatoid arthritis after inadequate response to a TNF inhibitor (NICE project)
Teaching and Supervision of Student Thesis Projects
I participate in teaching the following courses:
- HAR6501 Systematic Reviews and Critical Appraisal Techniques (Masters of Public Health, MPH, ScHARR, Faculty of Medicine Dentistry and Health)
- OCP602, Cancer epidemiology (MRes Translational Oncology, Department of Oncology & Metabolism, School of Medicine)
- Scheltema NM, Gentile A, Lucion F, Nokes DJ, Munywoki PK, Madhi SA, Groome MJ, Cohen C, Moyes J, Thorburn K, Thamthitiwat S, Oshitani H, Lupisan SP, Gordon A, Sánchez JF, O'Brien KL, Gessner BD, Sutanto A, Mejias A, Ramilo O, Khuri-Bulos N, Halasa N, de-Paris F, Pires MR, Spaeder MC, Paes BA, Simões EAF, Leung TF, Oliveira MT, Emediato CC, Bassat Q, Butt W, Chi H, Aamir UB, Ali A, Lucero MG, Fasce RA, Lopez O, Rath BA, Polack FP, Papenburg J, Roglić S, Ito H, Goka EA, Grobbee DE, Nair H & Bont LJ (2017) Global respiratory syncytial virus-associated mortality in young children (RSV GOLD): a retrospective case series. The Lancet Global Health, 5(10), e984-e991. View this article in WRRO
- Sanderson J, Martyn-St James M, Stevens J, Goka E, Wong R, Campbell F, Selby P, Gittoes N & Davis S (2016) Clinical effectiveness of bisphosphonates for the prevention of fragility fractures: A systematic review and network meta-analysis. Bone, 89, 52-58. View this article in WRRO
- GOKA EA, VALLELY PJ, MUTTON KJ & KLAPPER PE (2015) Single, dual and multiple respiratory virus infections and risk of hospitalization and mortality. Epidemiology and Infection, 143(01), 37-47.
- Goka EA, Vallely PJ, Mutton KJ & Klapper PE (2014) Pan‑human coronavirus and human bocavirus SYBR Green and TaqMan PCR assays; use in studying influenza A viruses co‑infection and risk of hospitalization. Journal of Infection(In Press).
- Goka EA, Vallely PJ, Mutton KJ & Klapper PE (2014) Mutations associated with severity of the pandemic influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 in humans: a systematic review and meta-analysis of epidemiological evidence. Archives of Virology, 159(12), 3167-3183.
- Goka EA, Vallely PJ, Mutton KJ & Klapper PE (2014) Single and multiple respiratory virus infections and severity of respiratory disease: A systematic review. Paediatric Respiratory Reviews, 15(4), 363-370.
- Goka E, Vallely P, Mutton K & Klapper P (2012) Influenza A virus dual and multiple infections with other respiratory viruses and risk of hospitalization and mortality. Influenza and other Respiratory Viruses, 7(6), 1079-1087.
- Goka EA, Yen P-MN, Chiou J-Q, Lin C-L, Wu C-M, Fan H-H & Chen Y-MA (2007) HIV/AIDS Knowledge, attitudes, and practices among antenatal Taiwanese women and their satisfaction with prevention of mother-to-child program. Journal of International Cooperation, 2(1), 65-88.