Dr Edward Goka (BSc.PH, MPH, MRes, PhD)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield S1 4DA
Tel: +44 (0)114 222 5154
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I obtained my PhD in medicine from the University of Manchester (UK) in May 2014. I also have an MRes in epidemiology obtained from the University of York (UK) in December 2010, a Master of Public Health (MPH) obtained from the NationalY angming University in Taiwan in June 2006 and a Bachelor of Science in Public Health (BSc.PH) obtained from the University of Malawi in March 2001.
I joined ScHARR in September 2014 as a Research Associate (Evidence Synthesis). Prior to this, I practiced public health at the Lilongwe City Council in Malawi for ten years (1997 – 2007) where I was responsible for the provision of preventive health services to the city residents including: Infectious diseases control, chronic diseases control, occupational health, maternal and child health, water and sanitation, health promotion and environmental health services. I also worked as a lecturer in communicable diseases control (May 2002 to August 2004) at the Malawi College of Health Sciences (Lilongwe Campus).
- Health technology assessment on the effectiveness of treatments or public health interventions
- Epidemiology of infectious diseases (e.g. viruses) and cancers due to infections (e.g. hepatitis B, C)
- Disease surveillance, e.g. the syndromic surveillance
- Health behavioural research, e.g. understanding the factors associated with acceptance of HIV testing
- Global health research (Health Services Research/Outcome Research in clinical and public health interventions)
- Translational medical research (design and validation of diagnostic tests/assays for viruses)
- Surveillance for the prevention of colorectal cancer in people with polyps (Public Health England Grant)
Recently Completed Research
- Development of a Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Return on Investment Tool (Public Health England Grant).
- Alternatives to total arthroplasty for patients with hip and knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review of treatment options and outcomes (NHS – CLAHRC Project)
- Single Technology Appraisal (STA): Comparative effectiveness of 3M™ Coban™ 2 Layer Compression vs. 4 Layer and other 2 Layer compression bandages in patients with venous leg ulcer (3M)
- A Single Technology Appraisal (STA): Certolizumab pegol for treating rheumatoid arthritis after inadequate response to a TNF inhibitor (NICE)
- PROJECT GRANTS for Public Health Research: The relationship between hospital and surgeon volume and outcomes in vascular surgery (NIHR Grant)
- Multiple Technology Assessment (MTA) Bisphosphonates in the prevention of fragility fractures (NICE)
Teaching and Supervision of student Dissertations
I participate in teaching the following courses:
- HAR6501, Systematic Reviews and Critical Appraisal Techniques (MSc Clinical Research, MSc Human Nutrition, ScHARR, Faculty of Medicine Dentistry and Health)
- HAR679/HAR6024, Dissertation (MSc Clinical Research, MSc Human Nutrition, ScHARR, Faculty of Medicine Dentistry and Health)
- HAR685, Communicable Disease Control (MPH, NIHR Continuing Professional Development (CPD))
- MBChB 1 SD (School of Medicine)
- MBChB 1 CA RCT (School of Medicine)
Recently Supervised/Completed Student Dissertations
- Effectiveness of micronutrient fortified cereal-based supplementary foods on nutritional status of children in developing countries
- Universal health coverage in developing countries and its impact on improving access to care and health care outcomes in antenatal care
- Effectiveness of community based sex education programmes in preventing HIV/STDs and unplanned teenage pregnancies in developing countries
- The role of coronaviruses in peritoneal encapsulation
- Scheltema NM, Gentile A, Lucion F, Nokes DJ, Munywoki PK, Madhi SA, Groome MJ, Cohen C, Moyes J, Thorburn K , Thamthitiwat S et al (2017) Global respiratory syncytial virus-associated mortality in young children (RSV GOLD): a retrospective case series. The Lancet Global Health, 5(10), e984-e991. View this article in WRRO
- Sanderson J, Martyn-St James M, Stevens J, Goka E, Wong R, Campbell F, Selby P, Gittoes N & Davis S (2016) Clinical effectiveness of bisphosphonates for the prevention of fragility fractures: A systematic review and network meta-analysis. Bone, 89, 52-58. View this article in WRRO
- Goka EA, Vallely PJ, Mutton KJ & Klapper PE (2015) Pan-human coronavirus and human bocavirus SYBR Green and TaqMan PCR assays; use in studying influenza A viruses co-infection and risk of hospitalization. Infection, 43(2), 185-192.
- GOKA EA, VALLELY PJ, MUTTON KJ & KLAPPER PE (2015) Single, dual and multiple respiratory virus infections and risk of hospitalization and mortality. Epidemiology and Infection, 143(1), 37-47.
- Goka EA, Vallely PJ, Mutton KJ & Klapper PE (2014) Mutations associated with severity of the pandemic influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 in humans: a systematic review and meta-analysis of epidemiological evidence. Archives of Virology, 159(12), 3167-3183.
- Goka EA, Vallely PJ, Mutton KJ & Klapper PE (2014) Single and multiple respiratory virus infections and severity of respiratory disease: A systematic review. Paediatric Respiratory Reviews, 15(4), 363-370.
- Goka E, Vallely P, Mutton K & Klapper P (2013) Influenza A viruses dual and multiple infections with other respiratory viruses and risk of hospitalisation and mortality. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses, 7(6), 1079-1087.
- Goka EA, Yen P-MN, Chiou J-Q, Lin C-L, Wu C-M, Fan H-H & Chen Y-MA (2007) HIV/AIDS Knowledge, attitudes, and practices among antenatal Taiwanese women and their satisfaction with prevention of mother-to-child program. Journal of International Cooperation, 2(1), 65-88.