Professor Eva Kaltenthaler BSc, BGSU (USA), MSc (London) PhD (London)
Professor of Health Technology Assessment
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0810
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
My methodological expertise is in the systematic reviewing of clinical effectiveness evidence and how this is used in decision making. I undertake systematic reviews for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). Health Technology Assessment Programme on behalf of a range of policy makers, including the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). My work includes reviews on many topics such as: computerised cognitive behaviour therapy and sexual health interventions for people with severe mental illness.
I am Deputy Section Director of the Health Economics and Decision Science Section within ScHARR, Director of the ScHARR Equality and Diversity Committee and the Chair of the ScHARR Athena SWAN Self Assessment Group.
My research interests are:
• selecting rapid review methods
• the identification and review of estimates for cost effectiveness model parameters within health technology assessments
• methods used in the critical appraisal of manufacturers’ submissions within the NICE single technology appraisal process
• mental health technologies and therapies
I supervise Master's level dissertation students with a range of systematic review topics.
I supervise research students in areas such as systematic review methodology and issues around the reviewing of cost effectiveness model parameters.
I teach on a short course on The Identification and Review of Evidence to Inform Cost Effectiveness Models Link
- Member of the NICE Medical Technologies Advisory Committee
• NICE FTA Golimumab for Axial Spondyloarthritis
• NICE MTA Cabozatenib and vandetanib for Medullary Thyroid Cancer
• NIHR HTA TAR: The use of exploratory analyses within the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence single technology appraisal process: an evaluation and qualitative analysis
• NIHR Programme Grant: The design, development, commissioning and evaluation of patient focussed vascular services
Eva Kaltenthaler is based in Health Economics and Decision Science (HEDS)
- Kaltenthaler E, Carroll C, Hill-McManus D, Scope A, Holmes M, Rice S, Rose M, Tappenden P & Woolacott N (2016) Issues Related to the Frequency of Exploratory Analyses by Evidence Review Groups in the NICE Single Technology Appraisal Process. PharmacoEconomics - Open. View this article in WRRO
- Carroll C, Kaltenthaler E, Hill-McManus D, Scope A, Holmes M, Rice S, Rose M, Tappenden P & Woolacott N (2016) The type and impact of Evidence Review Group (ERG) exploratory analyses in the NICE Single Technology Appraisal (STA) process. Value in Health. View this article in WRRO
- Kaltenthaler E, Cooper K, Pandor A, Martyn-St James M, Chatters R & Wong R (2016) The use of rapid review methods in health technology assessments: 3 case studies. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 16(1). View this article in WRRO
- Kaltenthaler E, Carroll C, Hill-McManus D, Scope A, Holmes M, Rice S, Rose M, Tappenden P & Woolacott N (2016) The use of exploratory analyses within the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence single technology appraisal process: an evaluation and qualitative analysis. Health Technology Assessment, 20(26), 1-48. View this article in WRRO
- Kaltenthaler E, Essat M, Tappenden P & Paisley S (2014) IDENTIFICATION AND REVIEW OF COST-EFFECTIVENESS MODEL PARAMETERS: A QUALITATIVE STUDY. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, 30(03), 333-340. View this article in WRRO
- Kaltenthaler E, Pandor A & Wong R (2014) The effectiveness of sexual health interventions for people with severe mental illness: a systematic review.. Health Technol Assess, 18(1), 1-74. View this article in WRRO
- Scope A, Leaviss J, Kaltenthaler E, Parry G, Sutcliffe P, Bradburn M & Cantrell A (2013) Is group cognitive behaviour therapy for postnatal depression evidence-based practice? A systematic review.. BMC Psychiatry, 13, 321. View this article in WRRO
- Kaltenthaler E, Tappenden P & Paisley S (2013) Reviewing the evidence to inform the population of cost-effectiveness models within health technology assessments. Value in Health, 16(5), 830-836. View this article in WRRO
- Rathbone J, Kaltenthaler E, Richards A, Tappenden P, Bessey A & Cantrell A (2013) A systematic review of eculizumab for atypical haemolytic uraemic syndrome (aHUS).. BMJ Open, 3(11), e003573. View this article in WRRO