Professor Eva Kaltenthaler BSc, BGSU (USA), MSc (London) PhD (London)
Professor of Health Technology Assessment
Managing Director of ScHARR Technology Assessment Group (ScHARR-TAG)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0810
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I am the managing director of the ScHARR Technology Assessment Group (ScHARR-TAG). ScHARR-TAG undertakes reviews of the clinical and cost effectiveness of health care interventions for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). Health Technology Assessment Programme on behalf of a range of policy makers, including the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). My methodological expertise is in the systematic reviewing of clinical effectiveness evidence and how this is used in decision making. I have worked as a clinical effectiveness reviewer and have undertaken systematic reviews on many topics including: computerised cognitive behaviour therapy and sexual health interventions for people with severe mental illness.
I am Deputy Section Director of the Health Economics and Decision Science Section within ScHARR.
My research interests are:
• mental health technologies and therapies;
• the identification and review of estimates for cost effectiveness model parameters within health technology assessments
• methods used in the critical appraisal of manufacturers’ submissions within the NICE single technology appraisal process.
My teaching interests lie in Systematic Reviews and Critical Appraisal. I supervise Master's level dissertation students with a range of systematic review topics.
I supervise research students in areas such as systematic review methodology and issues around the reviewing of cost effectiveness model parameters.
I teach on a short course on The Identification and Review of Evidence to Inform Cost Effectiveness Models Link
- Member of the NICE Medical Technologies Advisory Committee
- Member of InterTASC, a collaboration of nine universities undertaking technology assessments
- Member of Health Technology Assessment international (HTAi)
- Member of ISPOR (Interntational Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Reseach)
- NIHR HTA TAR: The use of exploratory analyses within the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence single technology appraisal process: an evaluation and qualitative analysis
- NIHR Programme Grant: The design, development, commissioning and evaluation of patient focussed vascular services
- NICE STA: Ibrutinib for treating relapsed or refractory mantle cell lymphoma [ID753]
- NICE STA: Pertuzumab for treating early HER 2 positive breast cancer [ID767]
- NICE STA: Adalimumab for treating moderate to severe hidradenitis suppurativa [ID812]
Eva Kaltenthaler is based in Health Economics and Decision Science (HEDS)
- Kaltenthaler E, Carroll C, Hill-McManus D, Scope A, Holmes M, Rice S, Rose M, Tappenden P & Woolacott N (2016) The use of exploratory analyses within the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence single technology appraisal process: an evaluation and qualitative analysis. Health Technology Assessment, 20(26), 1-48. View this article in WRRO
- Kaltenthaler E, Essat M, Tappenden P & Paisley S (2014) IDENTIFICATION AND REVIEW OF COST-EFFECTIVENESS MODEL PARAMETERS: A QUALITATIVE STUDY. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, 30(03), 333-340. View this article in WRRO
- Kaltenthaler E, Pandor A & Wong R (2014) The effectiveness of sexual health interventions for people with severe mental illness: a systematic review.. Health Technol Assess, 18(1), 1-74. View this article in WRRO
- Scope A, Leaviss J, Kaltenthaler E, Parry G, Sutcliffe P, Bradburn M & Cantrell A (2013) Is group cognitive behaviour therapy for postnatal depression evidence-based practice? A systematic review.. BMC Psychiatry, 13, 321. View this article in WRRO
- Rathbone J, Kaltenthaler E, Richards A, Tappenden P, Bessey A & Cantrell A (2013) A systematic review of eculizumab for atypical haemolytic uraemic syndrome (aHUS).. BMJ Open, 3(11), e003573. View this article in WRRO
- Kaltenthaler E, Tappenden P & Paisley S (2013) Reviewing the evidence to inform the population of cost-effectiveness models within health technology assessments. Value in Health, 16(5), 830-836. View this article in WRRO
- Kaltenthaler E, Papaioannou D, Boland A & Dickson R (2011) The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence Single Technology Appraisal process: lessons from the first 4 years.. Value Health, 14(8), 1158-1165.
- Carroll C, Kaltenthaler E, FitzGerald P, Boland A & Dickson R (2011) A thematic analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of manufacturers' submissions to the NICE Single Technology Assessment (STA) process.. Health Policy, 102(2-3), 136-144.
- Kaltenthaler E, Sutcliffe P, Parry G, Beverley C, Rees A & Ferriter M (2008) The acceptability to patients of computerized cognitive behaviour therapy for depression: a systematic review.. Psychol Med, 38(11), 1521-1530.