Professor Aki Tsuchiya, PhD(Kyoto)
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street, Sheffield, S1 4DA, UK
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0710
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
Office: 109, ScHARR, West Court, Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 4DP
Department of Economics
9 Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 4DT, UK
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 3422
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 3458
I hold a joint appointment between the School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR) and the Department of Economics.
I came to the UK in 1998 as a Visiting Research Fellow at the Centre for Health Economics, University of York, funded as an Overseas Post-Doctoral Research Fellow of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science. I came to Sheffield and joined ScHARR in 2000, where I worked as a Research Associate, a Research Fellow, and a Lecturer. Since 2005 I have held a joint appointment between ScHARR and the Department of Economics, as a Senior Lecturer, a Reader, and a Professor. Currently, I am a member of the EuroQol Group, the Sheffield Centre for Criminological Research, and co-Director of the Centre for Well-being in Public Policy.
- measuring, valuing, and modelling health, and other aspects of well-being
- incorporating equity concerns into social welfare functions
- normative economics of health and beyond
- health economics for economists
- valuation of health states
- normative health economics
I teach health economics, which is about the application of economic tools to health, health care, and health care insurance. But, to what extent can we apply economics to matters of life and limb? Some think that whenever somebody’s life is at stake, it is unethical to think of costs, and thus “health” and “economics” sit very awkwardly with each other. However, if we ignore opportunity costs, then efficiency would be compromised and we would achieve less health overall. At the same time, most of us want a health care system that is not just efficient, but also equitable. Health economics enables the analysis of health care systems in the light of efficiency, equity, or both.
In health economics, there are numerous issues that involve judgements, with no easy right answers. Should we use monetary valuation of health to analyse the efficiency of different drugs? Should health policy aim to maximise health or to maximise more general wellbeing? Should we forego any efficiency in order to improve equity in health outcomes? My approach to teaching is to encourage taking an informed view on such issues, and then to defend these views (which may not agree with mine!).
- Exploring non-iterative Time Trade-Off (ENITTO), funded by the EuroQol Group
- Co-Director for Centre for Well-being in Public Policy
- Course Director for MSc Economics and Health Economics
- Member of Teaching Functional Working Group (HEDS, ScHARR)
A full list of publications can be downloaded from the link in the box to the right of this page.
- Brazier J, Rowen DL, Karimi M, Peasgood T, Tsuchiya A & Ratcliffe J (2017) Experience-based utility and own health state valuation for a health state classification system: why do it and how to do it. The European Journal of Health Economics. View this article in WRRO
- Ali S, Tsuchiya A, Asaria M & Cookson R (2017) How Robust Are Value Judgments of Health Inequality Aversion? Testing for Framing and Cognitive Effects. Medical Decision Making, 37(6), 635-646. View this article in WRRO
- Mulhern B, Bansback N, Hole AR & Tsuchiya A (2017) Using Discrete Choice Experiment with duration to model EQ-5D-5L health state preferences: Testing experimental design strategies. Medical Decision Making, 37(3), 285-297. View this article in WRRO
- Tsuchiya A & Watson V (2017) Re-Thinking ‘The Different Perspectives That can be Used When Eliciting Preferences in Health’. Health Economics. View this article in WRRO
- Rowen D, Brazier J, Mukuria C, Keetharuth A, Risa Hole A, Tsuchiya A, Whyte S & Shackley P (2016) Eliciting Societal Preferences for Weighting QALYs for Burden of Illness and End of Life. Medical Decision Making, 36(2), 210-222.
- Rowen D, Brazier J, Keetharuth A, Tsuchiya A & Mukuria C (2016) Comparison of Modes of Administration and Alternative Formats for Eliciting Societal Preferences for Burden of Illness. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, 14(1), 89-104. View this article in WRRO
- Tilling C, Krol M, Attema AE, Tsuchiya A, Brazier J, van Exel J & Brouwer W (2016) Exploring a new method for deriving the monetary value of a QALY. The European Journal of Health Economics, 17(7), 801-809. View this article in WRRO
- Brazier J & Tsuchiya A (2015) Improving Cross-Sector Comparisons: Going Beyond the Health-Related QALY. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, 13(6), 557-565. View this article in WRRO
- Gomersall T, Spencer S, Basarir H, Tsuchiya A, Clegg J, Sutton A & Dickinson K (2015) Measuring quality of life in children with speech and language difficulties: a systematic review of existing approaches. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, 50(4), 416-435. View this article in WRRO
- Yang Y, Rowen D, Brazier J, Tsuchiya A, Young T & Longworth L (2015) An Exploratory Study to Test the Impact on Three “Bolt-On” Items to the EQ-5D. Value in Health, 18(1), 52-60. View this article in WRRO
- Shah KK, Tsuchiya A & Wailoo AJ (2015) Valuing health at the end of life: A stated preference discrete choice experiment. Social Science & Medicine, 124, 48-56. View this article in WRRO
- Bansback N, Hole AR, Mulhern B & Tsuchiya A (2014) Testing a discrete choice experiment including duration to value health states for large descriptive systems: addressing design and sampling issues.. Soc Sci Med, 114, 38-48. View this article in WRRO
- Shah KK, Tsuchiya A & Wailoo AJ (2014) Valuing health at the end of life: an empirical study of public preferences.. Eur J Health Econ, 15(4), 389-399.
- Longworth L, Yang Y, Young T, Mulhern B, Hernández Alava M, Mukuria C, Rowen D, Tosh J, Tsuchiya A, Evans P, Devianee Keetharuth A & Brazier J (2014) Use of generic and condition-specific measures of health-related quality of life in NICE decision-making: a systematic review, statistical modelling and survey.. Health Technol Assess, 18(9), 1-224. View this article in WRRO
- Mulhern B, Bansback N, Brazier J, Buckingham K, Cairns J, Devlin N, Dolan P, Hole AR, Kavetsos G, Longworth L, Rowen D & Tsuchiya A (2014) Preparatory study for the revaluation of the EQ-5D tariff: methodology report.. Health Technol Assess, 18(12), vii-191. View this article in WRRO
- Abásolo I & Tsuchiya A (2014) Blood donation as a public good: An empirical investigation of the free rider problem. European Journal of Health Economics, 15(3), 313-321.
- Abásolo I & Tsuchiya A (2014) Egalitarianism and altruism in health: some evidence of their relationship.. Int J Equity Health, 13, 13. View this article in WRRO
- Yang Y, Brazier J & Tsuchiya A (2014) Effect of adding a sleep dimension to the EQ-5D descriptive system: A "bolt-on" experiment. Medical Decision Making, 34(1), 42-53. View this article in WRRO
- Harding AH, Frost G, Tan E, Tsuchiya A & Mason H (2013) The cost of hypertension-related ill-health attributable to environmental noise. Noise and Health, 15(67), 437-445.
- Dolan P, Kavetsos G & Tsuchiya A (2013) Sick but satisfied: The impact of life and health satisfaction on choice between health scenarios. Journal of Health Economics, 32(4), 708-714.
- Ternent L & Tsuchiya A (2013) A Note on the Expected Biases in Conventional Iterative Health State Valuation Protocols. MEDICAL DECISION MAKING, 33(4), 544-546.
- Popli G, Gladwell D & Tsuchiya A (2013) Estimating the critical and sensitive periods of investment in early childhood: a methodological note.. Soc Sci Med, 97, 316-324.
- Alava MH, Brazier J, Rowen D & Tsuchiya A (2013) Common scale valuations across different preference-based measures: estimation using rank data.. Med Decis Making, 33(6), 839-852.
- Bansback N, Brazier J, Tsuchiya A & Anis A (2013) Erratum to "Using a discrete choice experiment to estimate health state utility values" [J. Health Econ. 31 (1) (2012) 306-318]. Journal of Health Economics, 32(2), 486-486.
- Mulhern B, Longworth L, Brazier J, Rowen D, Bansback N, Devlin N & Tsuchiya A (2013) Binary choice health state valuation and mode of administration: head-to-head comparison of online and CAPI.. Value Health, 16(1), 104-113. View this article in WRRO
- Devlin N, Buckingham K, Shah K, Tsuchiya A, Tilling C, Wilkinson G & Van Hout B (2013) A comparison of alternative variants of the lead and lag time TTO. Health Economics (United Kingdom), 22(5), 517-532.
- Edlin R, Tsuchiya A & Dolan P (2012) PUBLIC PREFERENCES FOR RESPONSIBILITY VERSUS PUBLIC PREFERENCES FOR REDUCING INEQUALITIES. HEALTH ECONOMICS, 21(12), 1416-1426.
- Dolan P & Tsuchiya A (2012) It is the lifetime that matters: public preferences over maximising health and reducing inequalities in health.. J Med Ethics, 38(9), 571-573.
- Brazier JE, Rowen D, Mavranezouli I, Tsuchiya A, Young T, Yang Y, Barkham M & Ibbotson R (2012) Developing and testing methods for deriving preference-based measures of health from condition-specific measures (and other patient-based measures of outcome).. Health Technol Assess, 16(32), 1-114.
- Bansback N, Tsuchiya A, Brazier J & Anis A (2012) Canadian Valuation of EQ-5D Health States: Preliminary Value Set and Considerations for Future Valuation Studies. PLOS ONE, 7(2). View this article in WRRO
- Oluboyede Y, McCabe C, Hill A, Tsuchiya A & Hulme C (2012) The Adolescent Perspective of the Impact of Weight Status on Quality of Life (MT). QUALITY OF LIFE RESEARCH, 20, 81-82.
- Oluboyede Y, McCabe C, Hill A, Tsuchiya A & Hulme C (2012) A Review of QoL and HRQoL Instruments used in the Obese and Overweight Adolescent Population (MT). QUALITY OF LIFE RESEARCH, 20, 93-93.
- Tsuchiya A (2012) Distributional judgements in the context of economic evaluation, 406-414.
- Abasolo I & Tsuchiya A (2012) Is more health always better for society? Exploring public preferences that violate monotonicity.. Theory and Decision. View this article in WRRO
- Bansback N, Brazier J, Tsuchiya A & Anis A (2012) Using a discrete choice experiment to estimate health state utility values.. J Health Econ, 31(1), 306-318.
- Tilling C, Krol M, Tsuchiya A, Brazier J, Exel JV & Brouwer W (2012) Does the EQ-5D reflect lost earnings?. Pharmacoeconomics, 30(1), 47-61.
- McTaggart-Cowan HM, O'Cathain A, Tsuchiya A & Brazier JE (2012) Using mixed methods research to explore the effect of an adaptation exercise on general population valuations of health states.. Qual Life Res, 21(3), 465-473.
- Rowen D, Brazier J, Tsuchiya A, Young T & Ibbotson R (2012) It's all in the name, or is it? The impact of labeling on health state values.. Med Decis Making, 32(1), 31-40.
- Rowen D, Brazier J, Tsuchiya A & Alava MH (2012) Valuing states from multiple measures on the same visual analogue sale: A feasibility study. Health Economics, 21(6), 715-729.
- Brazier J, Rowen D, Yang Y & Tsuchiya A (2012) Comparison of health state utility values derived using time trade-off, rank and discrete choice data anchored on the full health-dead scale.. Eur J Health Econ, 13(5), 575-587.
- Shah K, Wailoo AJ & Tsuchiya A (2011) Valuing Health at the End of Life: An Exploratory Preference Elicitation Study.
- McTaggart-Cowan H, Tsuchiya A, O'Cathain A & Brazier J (2011) Understanding the effect of disease adaptation information on general population values for hypothetical health states.. Soc Sci Med, 72(11), 1904-1912.
- Devlin NJ, Tsuchiya A, Buckingham K & Tilling C (2011) A UNIFORM TIME TRADE OFF METHOD FOR STATES BETTER AND WORSE THAN DEAD: FEASIBILITY STUDY OF THE 'LEAD TIME' APPROACH. HEALTH ECON, 20(3), 348-361.
- Yang Y, Brazier JE, Tsuchiya A & Young TA (2011) Estimating a preference-based index for a 5-dimensional health state classification for asthma derived from the asthma quality of life questionnaire.. Med Decis Making, 31(2), 281-291.
- McTaggart-Cowan HM, O'Cathain A, Tsuchiya A & Brazier JE (2011) Using mixed methods research to explore the effect of an adaptation exercise on general population valuations of health states. Quality of Life Research, 1-9.
- Brazier J, Rowen D, Tsuchiya A, Yang Y & Young TA (2011) The impact of adding an extra dimension to a preference-based measure.. Soc Sci Med, 73(2), 245-253.
- Hauck K & Tsuchiya A (2011) Health Dynamics: Implications for Efficiency and Equity in Priority Setting. VALUE IN HEALTH, 14(2), 387-389.
- Dolan P & Tsuchiya A (2011) Determining the parameters in a social welfare function using stated preference data: an application to health. APPL ECON, 43(18), 2241-2250. View this article in WRRO
- Young TA, Yang Y, Brazier JE & Tsuchiya A (2011) The use of rasch analysis in reducing a large condition-specific instrument for preference valuation: the case of moving from AQLQ to AQL-5D.. Med Decis Making, 31(1), 195-210.
- Tilling C, Devlin N, Tsuchiya A & Buckingham K (2010) Protocols for time tradeoff valuations of health states worse than dead: a literature review.. Med Decis Making, 30(5), 610-619.
- McTaggart-Cowan HM, Brazier JE & Tsuchiya A (2010) Clustering Rasch results: a novel method for developing rheumatoid arthritis states for use in valuation studies.. Value Health, 13(6), 787-795.
- Brazier JE, Yang Y, Tsuchiya A & Rowen DL (2010) A review of studies mapping (or cross walking) non-preference based measures of health to generic preference-based measures.. Eur J Health Econ, 11(2), 215-225.
- Brazier J & Tsuchiya A (2010) PREFERENCE-BASED CONDITION-SPECIFIC MEASURES OF HEALTH: WHAT HAPPENS TO CROSS PROGRAMME COMPARABILITY?. HEALTH ECON, 19(2), 125-129.
- Tilling C, Krol M, Tsuchiya A, Brazier J & Brouwer W (2010) In or out? Income losses in health state valuations: a review.. Value Health, 13(2), 298-305.
- Ratcliffe J, Brazier J, Tsuchiya A, Symonds T & Brown M (2009) USING DCE AND RANKING DATA TO ESTIMATE CARDINAL VALUES FOR HEALTH STATES FOR DERIVING A PREFERENCE-BASED SINGLE INDEX FROM THE SEXUAL QUALITY OF LIFE QUESTIONNAIRE. HEALTH ECON, 18(11), 1261-1276.
- Dolan P & Tsuchiya A (2009) The social welfare function and individual responsibility: Some theoretical issues and empirical evidence (vol 28, pg 210, 2009). J HEALTH ECON, 28(3), 758-759.
- Mann R, Brazier J & Tsuchiya A (2009) A comparison of patient and general population weightings of EQ-5D dimensions.. Health Econ, 18(3), 363-372.
- Young T, Yang Y, Brazier JE, Tsuchiya A & Coyne K (2009) The first stage of developing preference-based measures: constructing a health-state classification using Rasch analysis.. Qual Life Res, 18(2), 253-265.
- Tsuchiya A & Dolan P (2009) Equality of what in health? Distinguishing between outcome egalitarianism and gain egalitarianism.. Health Econ, 18(2), 147-159.
- Dolan P & Tsuchiya A (2009) The social welfare function and individual responsibility: Some theoretical issues and empirical evidence. J HEALTH ECON, 28(1), 210-220.
- Wailoo A, Tsuchiya A & McCabe C (2009) Weighting must wait: incorporating equity concerns into cost-effectiveness analysis may take longer than expected.. Pharmacoeconomics, 27(12), 983-989.
- Cookson R, McCabe C & Tsuchiya A (2008) Public healthcare resource allocation and the Rule of Rescue. J MED ETHICS, 34(7). View this article in WRRO
- Abasolo I & Tsuchiya A (2008) Understanding preference for egalitarian policies in health: are age and sex determinants?. APPL ECON, 40(19), 2451-2461.
- Dolan P, Edlin R, Tsuchiya A & Wailoo A (2007) It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it: Characteristics of procedural justice and their importance in social decision-making. J ECON BEHAV ORGAN, 64(1), 157-170.
- Bansback N, Marra C, Tsuchiya A, Anis A, Guh D, Hammond T & Brazier J (2007) Using the health assessment questionnaire to estimate preference-based single indices in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. ARTHRIT RHEUM-ARTHR, 57(6), 963-971.
- Brazier J & Tsuchiya A (2007) The Role of Condition Specific Measures in Economic Evaluation: It's a Trade-Off.
- Tsuchiya A & Dolan P (2007) Do NHS clinicians and members of the public share the same views about reducing inequalities in health?. Soc Sci Med, 64(12), 2499-2503.
- Aballea S & Tsuchiya A (2007) Seeing for yourself: Feasibility study towards valuing visual impairment using simulation spectacles. HEALTH ECON, 16(5), 537-543.
- Abasolo I & Tsuchiya A (2007) In response to Indranil Dutta, "Health inequality and non-monotonicity of the health related social welfare function". J HEALTH ECON, 26(2), 422-425.
- McCabe C, Tsuchiya A, Claxton K & Raftery J (2007) Assessing the economic challenges posed by orphan drugs: A comment on Drummond et al.. INT J TECHNOL ASSESS, 23(3), 397-401.
- McCabe C, Tsuchiya A, Claxton K & Raftery J (2006) Orphan drugs revisited.. QJM, 99(5), 341-345.
- McCabe C, Brazier J, Gilks P, Tsuchiya A, Roberts J, O'Hagan A & Stevens K (2006) Using rank data to estimate health state utility models.. J Health Econ, 25(3), 418-431. View this article in WRRO
- Tsuchiya A, Brazier J & Roberts J (2006) Comparison of valuation methods used to generate the EQ-5D and the SF-6D value sets.. J Health Econ, 25(2), 334-346.
- Nelstrop L, Chandler-Oatts J, Bingley W, Bleetman T, Corr F, Cronin-Davis J, Fraher D-M, Hardy P, Jones S, Gournay K, Johnston S, Pereira S, Pratt P, Tucker R & Tsuchiya A (2006) A systematic review of the safety and effectiveness of restraint and seclusion as interventions for the short-term management of violence in adult psychiatric inpatient settings and emergency departments.. Worldviews Evid Based Nurs, 3(1), 8-18.
- Nord E, Dolan P & Tsuchiya A (2006) Severity of illness and priority setting: Worrisome lack of discussion of surprising finding. Journal of Health Economics, 25(1), 170-174.
- Dolan P & Tsuchiya A (2006) Severity of illness and priority setting: Worrisome criticism of inconvenient finding? - A reply to Erik Nord. J HEALTH ECON, 25(1), 173-174.
- Karnon J, Tsuchiya A & Dolan P (2005) Developing a relativities approach to valuing the prevention of non-fatal work-related accidents and ill health.. Health Econ, 14(11), 1103-1115.
- Dolan P, Loomes G, Peasgood T & Tsuchiya A (2005) Estimating the intangible victim costs of violent crime. BRIT J CRIMINOL, 45(6), 958-976.
- McCabe C, Claxton K & Tsuchiya A (2005) Orphan drugs and the NHS: should we value rarity?. BMJ, 331(7523), 1016-1019.
- Tsuchiya A & Dolan P (2005) The QALY model and individual preferences for health states and health profiles over time: a systematic review of the literature.. Med Decis Making, 25(4), 460-467. View this article in WRRO
- Dolan P & Tsuchiya A (2005) Health priorities and public preferences: the relative importance of past health experience and future health prospects.. J Health Econ, 24(4), 703-714.
- Dolan P, Shaw R, Tsuchiya A & Williams A (2005) QALY maximisation and people's preferences: a methodological review of the literature.. Health Econ, 14(2), 197-208.
- Tsuchiya A, Miguel LS, Edlin R, Wailoo A & Dolan P (2005) Procedural justice in public health care resource allocation.. Appl Health Econ Health Policy, 4(2), 119-127.
- Tsuchiya A & Williams A (2005) A "fair innings" between the sexes: are men being treated inequitably?. Soc Sci Med, 60(2), 277-286.
- Brazier J, Roberts J, Tsuchiya A & Busschbach J (2004) A comparison of the EQ-5D and SF-6D across seven patient groups.. Health Econ, 13(9), 873-884. View this article in WRRO
- Olsen JA, Abasolo I & Tsuchiya A (2004) Exploring social welfare functions and violation of monotonicity: An example from inequalities in health - A comment. Journal of Health Economics, 23(2), 331-334.
- Abasolo I & Tsuchiya A (2004) Exploring social welfare functions and violation of monotonicity: an example from inequalities in health - a reply to Jan Abel Olsen. J HEALTH ECON, 23(2), 333-334.
- Abasolo I & Tsuchiya A (2004) Exploring social welfare functions and violation of monotonicity: an example from inequalities in health. J HEALTH ECON, 23(2), 313-329.
- Dolan P, Tsuchiya A & Wailoo A (2003) NICE's citizen's council: what do we ask them, and how?. LANCET, 362(9387), 918-919.
- Tsuchiya A, Dolan P & Shaw R (2003) Measuring people's preferences regarding ageism in health: some methodological issues and some fresh evidence.. Soc Sci Med, 57(4), 687-696.
- Dolan P & Tsuchiya A (2003) The person trade-off method and the transitivity principle: an example from preferences over age weighting.. Health Econ, 12(6), 505-510.
- Greiner W, Weijnen T, Nieuwenhuizen M, Oppe S, Badia X, Busschbach J, Buxton M, Dolan P, Kind P, Krabbe P, Ohinmaa A, Parkin D, Roset M, Sintonen H, Tsuchiya A & De Charro F (2003) A single European currency for EQ-5D health states: Results from a six-country study. European Journal of Health Economics, 4(3), 222-231. View this article in WRRO
- Tsuchiya A, Ikeda S, Ikegami N, Nishimura S, Sakai I, Fukuda T, Hamashima C, Hisashige A & Tamura M (2002) Estimating an EQ-5D population value set: the case of Japan.. Health Econ, 11(4), 341-353. View this article in WRRO
- Tsuchiya A (2000) The future of age-based policy. SOC SCI MED, 51(7), 1136-1137.
- Tsuchiya A (2000) QALYs and ageism: philosophical theories and age weighting.. Health Econ, 9(1), 57-68.
- Tsuchiya A (1999) Age-related preferences and age weighting health benefits.. Soc Sci Med, 48(2), 267-276.