Sue Ward BA (Durham)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0816
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I graduated with an Economics degree from Durham University. After working in marketing and operational research with the electricity industry I moved to the University of Sheffield in 1994. My main area of interest is economic evaluation in health care, with a particular focus on economic modelling of cancer therapies.
Economic evaluation in cancer
I have been a major contributor to the HEDS section input to rapid review projects in the cancer field for the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), including the cost effectiveness of gemcitabine in pancreatic cancer, oral drugs for advanced colorectal cancer and hormonal therapies and taxanes for early breast cancer. I have also led a series of economic evaluations of new guidance for the management and treatment of a range of cancers (including upper gastro-intestinal cancers, haematological, cancers and breast cancer) for the Department of Health in England and Wales, along with an economic evaluation of the recent guidance on supportive and palliative care. In addition I have been involved in a series of industry funded projects for cancer treatment in the field of chronic myeloid leukaemia, gastro-intestinal stromal tumours and renal cell carcinoma and worked on a HTA project relating to the cost effectiveness of enhanced imaging techniques for assessment of axillary lymph node metastases.
Coronary heart disease
Developing on work undertaken in 1997 and 1998 on the roles of statins in coronary heart disease and the development of a decision support tool for evaluation of alternative policies on HMG Co-A Reductase Inhibitor (Statin) prescribing, I led a Health Technology Assessment for statins in the prevention of cardiovascular events.
Work in other disease areas
I have also managed a number of projects in non-cancer related areas, including a series of industry-funded projects evaluating the use of a new treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
My research interests are:
- Modelling in health care
- Economic evaluation of cancer therapies
- Economic evaluation of therapies for the prevention of coronary heart disease
I deliver lectures on the critical appraisal of economic evaluations on the MSc Health Economics and Decision Modelling.
I am currently working on the following projects:
- Cost effectiveness of second line treatments for chronic myeloid leukaemia
- Cost effectiveness of lapatinib in breast cancer
- The economic impact of avoidable admissions in palliative care
- Systematic review of utilities for breast cancer
- The use of surgery in the treatment of ER+ early stage breast cancer in England: Variation by time, age and patient characteristics. European Journal of Surgical Oncology (EJSO), 42(4), 489-496. View this article in WRRO
- Gene expression profiling and expanded immunohistochemistry tests to guide the use of adjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer management: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis.. Health Technol Assess, 17(44), 1-302. View this article in WRRO
- Economic analysis of potentially avoidable hospital admissions in patients with palliative care needs. Progress in Palliative Care, 20(3), 147-153.
- Principles of health economic evaluations of lipid-lowering strategies. Current Opinion in Lipidology, 23(4), 271-281.
- Positron emission tomography (PET) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) for the assessment of axillary lymph node metastases in early breast cancer: systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 15(4), iii-134.
- Cost-effectiveness of MRI and PET imaging for the evaluation of axillary lymph node metastases in early stage breast cancer.. Eur J Surg Oncol, 37(1), 40-46.
- Health-state utility values in breast cancer.. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res, 10(5), 553-566.
- Hormonal therapies for early breast cancer: systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 11(26), iii-134.
- A systematic review and economic evaluation of statins for the prevention of coronary events.. Health Technol Assess, 11(14), 1-iv.
- Taxanes for the adjuvant treatment of early breast cancer: systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 11(40), 1-144.