University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Office: Ground floor open plan, desk 5
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 6124
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I began my studies at the University of Sheffield in 2013 and graduated with a BSc in Mathematics. In December 2016, I started working part-time as a research assistant in the Sheffield Alcohol Research Group (SARG) in ScHARR, whilst undertaking the Master of Health Economics and Decision Modelling course. Since June 2018, I have been working full-time as a research assistant in SARG. I am currently writing my dissertation exploring the cost-effectiveness of e-cigarettes as a public health intervention to support smoking quit attempts in England.
My research covers a range of themes that fit under the development of new health economic modelling for tobacco and alcohol. My research has been focused on supporting the extension of the Sheffield Alcohol Policy Model to include tobacco. This model will allow the investigation of the synergistic effects of alcohol and tobacco interventions on inequality, health and economic outcomes.
I have developed analysis for calculating alcohol and smoking attributable fractions from the latest Health Survey for England data - showing socioeconomic variation and considering the joint contribution of tobacco and alcohol to disease risk. This work has led to estimations of condition specific mortality rates, hospital admission rates, and costs from tobacco and alcohol. Currently I am analysing Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) to investigate the trends in hospital admissions and costs associated with tobacco and alcohol consumption.
- Public health modelling
- Analysing hospital data
- Health economic modelling of e-cigarettes
- Joint contribution of alcohol and tobacco to disease risk
- Webster L, Angus C, Brennan A & Gillespie D () Smoking and the risks of adult diseases.
- Angus C, Henney M, Webster L & Gillespie D () Alcohol-attributable diseases and dose-response curves for the Sheffield Alcohol Policy Model version 4.0. View this article in WRRO
- Webster L, Angus C, Holmes J, Brennan A & Gillespie D () Alcohol attributable fractions for England.
- Webster L, Angus C, Brennan A & Gillespie D () Smoking attributable fractions for adult diseases in England.