Helen Buckley Woods BA (Hons) (Sheffield), MSc (Sheffield), EdD (Sheffield)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 2994
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined the information Resources Group, HEDS in June 2009. My principal role is to identify evidence for systematic and other literature reviews. I have worked on numerous review projects, particularly reviews of public health evidence. I also teach research methods, and supervise M level dissertation projects. I have a teaching qualification (PG certificate in learning and teaching in higher education) and I am a Senior Fellow of the HEA. My doctorate is in higher education studies. I conducted a cross-disciplinary qualitative case study, using social realist theories of knowledge to explore current working practices and changes in disciplinary knowledge production.
I am interested in ‘research on research’ including research methods, dissemination and evaluation of research, and academic freedom in higher education. I am also interested in evidence based practice and the design and delivery of research methods teaching.
My teaching interests centre on research methods and evidence based practice, including identifying evidence for systematic reviews. I also facilitate journal clubs and other training workshops.
ScHARR Director of Staff Teaching Development
Reviewer for the ScHARR Research Ethics Committee
Contributor to the Public Health Education Research Group
- NIHR Public Health Review Team
- Blank L, Baxter S, Woods HB, Goyder E, Lee A, Payne N & Rimmer M (2014) Referral interventions from primary to specialist care: a systematic review of international evidence. British Journal of General Practice, 64(629), e765-e774.
- Woods HB & Booth A (2014) What is the current state of practitioner research? The 2013 LIRG Research Scan. Library and Information Research, 116(37), 2-22. View this article in WRRO
- Woods HB (2013) EBLIP and active learning: A case study. Evidence Based Library and Information Practice, 8(4), 93-109.
- Woods HB (2012) Know your RO from your AE? Learning styles in practice.. Health Info Libr J, 29(2), 172-176.
Conference proceedings papers
- Sutton A & Woods HB () Resisting the MOOC stampede – is there still a place for small-scale tailored online CPD for library and information professionals?. http://cilipconference2015.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Digital-Futures-3-July-14.45-1.-Buckley-Wood-and-Sutton.pdf. St George's Hall, Liverpool, 2 July 2015 - 3 July 2015.
- Woods HB () Opening the Information Literacy Toolbox [pre-conference workshop]. https://eahil2011.ku.edu.tr/education. Koç University, Istanbul, 5 July 2011 - 8 July 2011.
- Woods HB () Searching for public health problems. NICE Joint Information Day. Royal Institute of British Architects, London., 14 November 2011 - 14 November 2011.
- Woods HB & Levay P () Practical issues in identifying evidence for complex problems.. ScHARR and NICE Workshop: Identification of Evidence on Complex Problems.. Hilton Garden Inn, Birmingham., 14 May 2012 - 14 May 2012.
- Woods HB () Evidence based library and information practice and active learning – a no brainer?. LIS DREaM event 5.. British Library, London, 9 July 2012 - 9 July 2012.
- Woods HB () Activate your journal club. https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1oz5tFmuY_qy7GnHpa_Tei-a3iuGXdAdjIJkYxk7ayac/edit?usp=sharing. University of Manchester, Manchester, 25 March 2013 - 27 March 2013.