Dr Emma Knowles PhD, MA (Applied Research & Quality Evaluation), BSc Hons (Sociology)
Senior Research Fellow
Health Services Research Section
School of Health and Related Research
30 Regent Street
University of Sheffield
Tel no: 0114 2220781
Fax no: 0114 2220749
I have been a health services researcher for almost 20 years, with an interest in emergency and urgent care research. During this time I have been part of teams evaluating ‘new’ services such as NHS Direct, NHS 111, Paramedic Practitioners, and Emergency Care Practitioners. I have recently completed a study of variation in avoidable emergency admissions. I am currently leading a study looking at the impact of closing Emergency Departments in England, and am also managing a project to look at the variation in ambulance non-conveyance rates in England.
My research interests are emergency and urgent health care systems, new roles/services within emergency and urgent health care, violence directed towards staff in the Emergency Department.
I am the Student Experience Officer for PGRs in ScHARR. I also contribute to the supervision and marking of Masters dissertations.
- closED (Impact of closing Emergency Department in England)
- VAN (Variation in Ambulance Non-conveyance)
For a full list of publications see here
- O’Cathain A, Knowles E, Turner J, Hirst E, Goodacre S & Nicholl J (2016) Variation in avoidable emergency admissions: multiple case studies of emergency and urgent care systems. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy, 21(1), 5-14. View this article in WRRO
- Knowles E, O'Cathain A, Turner J & Nicholl J (2014) Awareness and use of a new urgent care telephone service, NHS 111: cross-sectional population survey.. J Health Serv Res Policy, 19(4), 224-230.
- O'Cathain A, Knowles E, Turner J & Nicholl J (2014) Acceptability of NHS 111 the telephone service for urgent health care: cross sectional postal survey of users' views.. Fam Pract, 31(2), 193-200. View this article in WRRO
- Knowles E, Mason SM & Moriarty F (2013) 'I'm going to learn how to run quick': exploring violence directed towards staff in the Emergency Department.. Emerg Med J, 30(11), 926-931.
- Knowles E, O'Cathain A & Nicholl J (2012) Patients' experiences and views of an emergency and urgent care system.. Health Expect, 15(1), 78-86.
- Mason S, Knowles E, Colwell B, Dixon S, Wardrope J, Gorringe R, Snooks H, Perrin J & Nicholl J (2007) Effectiveness of paramedic practitioners in attending 999 calls from elderly people in the community: cluster randomised controlled trial.. BMJ, 335(7626), 919. View this article in WRRO
- Knowles E, Munro J, O'Cathain A & Nicholl J (2006) Equity of access to health care. Evidence from NHS Direct in the UK.. J Telemed Telecare, 12(5), 262-265.
- Knowles E, O'Cathain A, Morrell J, Munro JF & Nicholl JP (2002) NHS Direct and nurses--opportunity or monotony?. Int J Nurs Stud, 39(8), 857-866.