Sally Ohlsen, MSc Pre-reg Occupational Therapy, BA, AFHEA
Research Associate/Study Skills Coordinator/Senior Occupational Therapist
Mental Health Research Unit
School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 6388
I joined the Health Service Research department of ScHARR in January 2015 within the Mental Health Group. I work across a number of research projects and combined teaching responsibilities. I currently work as part of the CLAHRC YH MH Co-morbidity theme, which looks at the evidence base for interventions for patients with coexisting physical and mental health problems. This entails narrative systematic reviews, qualitative service evaluations and mixed method approaches. I previously worked on the PRaCTICED trial which aims to produce robust evidence relating to the effectiveness of counselling for depression versus cognitive behavioural therapy in treating moderate to severe depression in adults.
I am also the ScHARR study skills coordinator, within this role I aim to established stronger networks and links with the wider university support services and disseminate this to ScHARR students.
I am a registered senior occupational therapist with the HCPC and a member of the British College of Occupational Therapist (BCOT), I have subsequently worked across a range of physical and mental health services, both in the public NHS and voluntary sectors across the UK.
- Social prescribing
- Mental health and physical health co-morbidity and service development
- The mental health and retention of the mental health work force
- Risk assessments and collaborative approaches
- Qualitative methods; Realist Evaluation, Narrative synthesis reviews
- Research dissemination and public engagement
- PPI involvement in research
- HAR6030 Introduction to Research Methods Module Lead.
- ScHARR ELTC & Study Skills Coordinator
- Personal Tutor
- Public Health Masters dissertation tutor
- HAR6051: Practical Aspects of Clinical Research module tutor
I am currently working on:
- Mental health wellbeing and retention of the health care workforce.
- CLARHC YH MH - Supporting the Intergrated Management of Multi morbidity (SIMM) A realist evaluation of third sector.
- Smokefree Mental Health Services:- Qualitative analysis of the ‘staff smoke-free survey’ across Yorkshire and Humberside.
- Sheffield Physical Health and Psychological Wellbeing (IAPT) Project:- Evaluating the impact of dual trained practitioners.
- Systematic review of depression and anxiety interventions by district nurses.
- Pet assisted therapy evaluation with Sheffield university counselling service.
- Tom R, Saxon D, Wood E, Hulin J, Soady J, Ohlsen S & Mitchell C (2018) The effect of comorbid depression on the use of unscheduled hospital care by people with a long term condition: A retrospective observational study. Journal of Affective Disorders, 227, 366-371. View this article in WRRO
- Wood EF, Ohlsen S, Thompson J, Hulin J & Knowles L (2017) The feasibility of brief dog assisted therapy on university students stress levels: The PAwS study.. Journal of Mental Health. View this article in WRRO
- Wood EF, Ohlsen S & Ricketts T (2017) What are the barriers and facilitators to implementing Collaborative Care for depression? A systematic review. Journal of Affective Disorders, 214, 26-43. View this article in WRRO
- Saxon D, Ashley K, Bishop-Edwards L, Connell J, Harrison P, Ohlsen S, Hardy GE, Kellett S, Mukuria C, Mank T , Bower P et al (2017) A pragmatic randomised controlled trial assessing the non-inferiority of counselling for depression versus cognitive-behaviour therapy for patients in primary care meeting a diagnosis of moderate or severe depression (PRaCTICED): Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.. Trials, 18(1), 93-93. View this article in WRRO
- Ohlsen S, Ashley K, Saxon D & Barkham M (2016) Putting PRaCTICED into practice. Therapy Today. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Ricketts T, Wood E, Soady J, Saxon D, Hulin J, Ohlsen S & Mitchell C (2017) What is the effect of co-morbid depression on the use of unscheduled hospital care by people with a long term condition?. Society For Academic Primary Care National Conference Programme, 12 July 2017 - 14 July 2017.
- Bishop D, Wood E, Ohlsen S & Mitchell C (2017) ‘Don't just Screen, Intervene’: What are the barriers and facilitators to weight loss for people with a serious mental illness and obesity? . A systematic narrative metasynthesis. National Conference Society for Academic Primary Care Programme, 12 July 2017 - 14 July 2017.
- Ohlsen S, Paul C & Williamson K (2016) Towards totally smoke-free mental health services: Using a staff survey to support regional implementation. UKNSCC conference 2016. http://www.uknscc.org/uknscc2016_programme_2.php, 9 June 2016 - 10 June 2016.
- Paul C, Brabyn S, Cooke F, Leahy M, Ohlsen S, Peckham E, Stevens S & Wylde M (2017) Rolling Out a Staff Survey Across Organizations, in the Context of Implementing Smoke-Free Guidance in National Health Services.