Dave Saxon BA (Hons), MSc
Mental Health Research Unit
School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0) 114 222 0718
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
From a background of psychology in social services and education I began as a research assistant/data manager in NHS counselling/psychotherapy services in 1999. Over the next 8 years I became gradually more involved with NHS/ScHARR research collaborations and became F/T at ScHARR in 2008.
The use of large sets of routinely collected clinical data for research purposes. I am interested in why some patients benefit more from psychological therapies than others. A particular interest is the use of multilevel modelling to study variability in the outcomes of therapists.
- My teaching interests are in outcomes in psychological therapies, statistics and multilevel modelling
- MSc Supervision: HAR679 (Masters in Public Health) and HAR6024 (Masters in Clinical Research)
- Statistical support for Clinical Psychology Unit doctoral students.
I would be pleased to hear from potential PhD students who would like to work on quantitative or mixed methods projects which are related to my research interests, particularly practitioner variability in psychological therapy services and the analysis of large samples of routinely collected data.
- PRaCTICED: Non-inferiority trial of counselling for depression and CBT
- CLAHRC-II: Mental health & long-term physical conditions
- Adult Psychiatric Morbidity Survey
- Analysis of routine service data including, IAPT services and CORE national dataset
- Holt RI, Hind D, Gossage-Worrall R, Bradburn MJ, Saxon D, McCrone P, Morris TA, Etherington A, Shiers D, Barnard K , Swaby L et al (2018) Structured lifestyle education to support weight loss for people with schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder and first episode psychosis: the STEPWISE RCT.. Health Technology Assessment, 22(65). View this article in WRRO
- Barkham M & Saxon D (2018) The effectiveness of high-intensity CBT and counselling alone and following low-intensity CBT: A reanalysis of the 2nd UK National Audit of Psychological Therapies data. BMC Psychiatry, 18. View this article in WRRO
- Holt R, Gossage-Worrall R, Hind D, Bradburn M, McCrone P, Morris T, Edwardson C, Barnard K, Carey M, Davies M , Dickens C et al (2018) Structured lifestyle education for people with schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder and first-episode psychosis (STEPWISE): randomised controlled trial. The British journal of psychiatry : the journal of mental science. View this article in WRRO
- Johns RG, Barkham M, Kellett S & Saxon D (2018) A systematic review of therapist effects: A critical narrative update and refinement to Baldwin and Imel's (2013) review. Clinical Psychology Review. View this article in WRRO
- Schiefele AK, Lutz W, Barkham M, Rubel J, Böhnke J, Delgadillo J, Kopta M, Schulte D, Saxon D, Nielsen SL & Lambert MJ (2018) Correction to: Reliability of Therapist Effects in Practice-Based Psychotherapy Research: A Guide for the Planning of Future Studies. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. View this article in WRRO
- Delgadillo J, Saxon D & Barkham M (2018) Associations between therapists' occupational burnout and their patients' depression and anxiety treatment outcomes. Depression and Anxiety. View this article in WRRO
- Barkham M, Delgadillo J, Firth N & Saxon D (2018) LA EVIDENCIA BASADA EN LA PRÁCTICA Y LA LEY DE LA VARIABILIDAD: EFECTIVIDAD DEL TRATAMIENTO, EFECTOS DEL TERAPEUTA Y MÁS. REVISTA ARGENTINA DE CLINICA PSICOLOGICA, XXVII. View this article in WRRO
- Tom R, Saxon D, Wood E, Hulin J, Soady J, Ohlsen S & Mitchell C (2018) The effect of comorbid depression on the use of unscheduled hospital care by people with a long term condition: A retrospective observational study. Journal of Affective Disorders, 227, 366-371. View this article in WRRO
- Pereira JA, Barkham M, Kellett S & Saxon D (2017) The Role of Practitioner Resilience and Mindfulness in Effective Practice: A Practice-Based Feasibility Study. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 44(5), 691-704. View this article in WRRO
- Lucock M, Barkham M, Donohoe G, Kellett S, McMillan D, Mullaney S, Sainty A, Saxon D, Thwaites R & Delgadillo J (2017) The Role of Practice Research Networks (PRN) in the Development and Implementation of Evidence: The Northern Improving Access to Psychological Therapies PRN Case Study. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. View this article in WRRO
- Pybis J, Saxon D, Hill A & Barkham M (2017) The comparative effectiveness and efficiency of cognitive behaviour therapy and generic counselling in the treatment of depression: evidence from the 2(nd) UK National Audit of psychological therapies. BMC Psychiatry, 17(1). View this article in WRRO
- Saxon D, Ashley K, Bishop-Edwards L, Connell J, Harrison P, Ohlsen S, Hardy GE, Kellett S, Mukuria C, Mank T , Bower P et al (2017) A pragmatic randomised controlled trial assessing the non-inferiority of counselling for depression versus cognitive-behaviour therapy for patients in primary care meeting a diagnosis of moderate or severe depression (PRaCTICED): Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.. Trials, 18(1), 93-93. View this article in WRRO
- Saxon D, Barkham M, Foster A & Parry G (2017) The Contribution of Therapist Effects to Patient Dropout and Deterioration in the Psychological Therapies. CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY & PSYCHOTHERAPY, 24(3), 575-588. View this article in WRRO
- Schiefele A-K, Lutz W, Barkham M, Rubel J, Böhnke J, Delgadillo J, Kopta M, Schulte D, Saxon D, Nielsen SL & Lambert MJ (2017) Reliability of Therapist Effects in Practice-Based Psychotherapy Research: A Guide for the Planning of Future Studies. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 44(5), 598-613. View this article in WRRO
- Ohlsen S, Ashley K, Saxon D & Barkham M (2016) Putting PRaCTICED into practice. Therapy Today. View this article in WRRO
- Delgadillo J, Kellett S, Ali S, McMillan D, Barkham M, Saxon D, Donohoe G, Stonebank H, Mullaney S, Eschoe P , Thwaites R et al (2016) A multi-service practice research network study of large group psychoeducational cognitive behavioural therapy. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 87, 155-161. View this article in WRRO
- Saxon D, Firth N & Barkham M (2016) The Relationship Between Therapist Effects and Therapy Delivery Factors: Therapy Modality, Dosage, and Non-completion.. Adm Policy Ment Health. View this article in WRRO
- Lucock M, Halstead J, Leach C, Barkham M, Tucker S, Randal C, Middleton J, Khan W, Catlow H, Waters E & Saxon D (2015) A mixed-method investigation of patient monitoring and enhanced feedback in routine practice: Barriers and facilitators. Psychotherapy Research, 25(6), 633-646. View this article in WRRO
- Firth N, Barkham M, Kellett S & Saxon D (2015) Therapist effects and moderators of effectiveness and efficiency in psychological wellbeing practitioners: A multilevel modelling analysis. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 69, 54-62. View this article in WRRO
- Green H, Barkham M, Kellett S & Saxon D (2014) Therapist effects and IAPT Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners (PWPs): A multilevel modelling and mixed methods analysis. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 63, 43-54. View this article in WRRO
- Di Bona L, Saxon D, Barkham M, Dent-Brown K & Parry G (2014) Predictors of patient non-attendance at Improving Access to Psychological Therapy services demonstration sites. Journal of Affective Disorders, 169, 157-164.
- Bains MK, Scott S, Kellett S & Saxon D (2014) Group psychoeducative cognitive-behaviour therapy for mixed anxiety and depression with older adults.. Aging Ment Health, 18(8), 1057-1065. View this article in WRRO
- Mukuria C, Brazier J, Barkham M, Connell J, Hardy G, Hutten R, Saxon D, Dent-Brown K & Parry G (2013) Cost-effectiveness of an improving access to psychological therapies service.. Br J Psychiatry, 202(3), 220-227.
- Tosh J, Kearns B, Brennan A, Parry G, Ricketts T, Saxon D, Kilgarriff-Foster A, Thake A, Chambers E & Hutten R (2013) Innovation in Health Economic Modelling of Service Improvements for Longer-Term Depression: Demonstration in a Local Health Community. JOURNAL OF MENTAL HEALTH POLICY AND ECONOMICS, 16, S34-S35.
- Tosh J, Kearns B, Brennan A, Parry G, Ricketts T, Saxon D, Kilgarriff-Foster A, Thake A, Chambers E & Hutten R (2013) Innovation in health economic modelling of service improvements for longer-term depression: demonstration in a local health community.. BMC Health Serv Res, 13, 150. View this article in WRRO
- Nicoll M, Beail N & Saxon D (2013) Cognitive Behavioural Treatment for Anger in Adults with Intellectual Disabilities: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JOURNAL OF APPLIED RESEARCH IN INTELLECTUAL DISABILITIES, 26(1), 47-62.
- Saxon D & Barkham M (2012) Patterns of therapist variability: therapist effects and the contribution of patient severity and risk.. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 80(4), 535-546. View this article in WRRO
- Houghton S, Saxon D, Bradburn M, Ricketts T & Hardy G (2010) The effectiveness of routinely delivered cognitive behavioural therapy for obsessive-compulsive disorder: a benchmarking study.. Br J Clin Psychol, 49(Pt 4), 473-489.
- Stevenson MD, Scope A, Sutcliffe PA, Booth A, Slade P, Parry G, Saxon D, Kalthenthaler E & group cognitive behavioural therapy for postnatal depression advisory group (2010) Group cognitive behavioural therapy for postnatal depression: a systematic review of clinical effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and value of information analyses.. Health Technol Assess, 14(44), 1-iv.
- Houghton S, Saxon D & Smallwood A (2010) Effects of opt-in letters in a National Health Service psychotherapy service. Psychiatrist, 34(12), 507-510.
- Saxon D, Ricketts T & Heywood J (2010) Who drops-out? Do measures of risk to self and to others predict unplanned endings in primary care counselling?. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research, 10(1), 13-21.
- Houghton S, Curran J & Saxon D (2008) An Uncontrolled Evaluation of Group Behavioural Activation for Depression. BEHAV COGN PSYCHOTH, 36(2), 235-239.
- Saxon D, Ivey C & Young T (2008) Can CORE assessment data identify those clients less likely to benefit from brief counselling in primary care?. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research, 8(4)(2008), 223-230.
- Warden S, Ricketts T, Saxon D, Houghton S, St. Ledger S, Curran J & Fitzgerald G (2008) When to offer cognitive behavioural or psychoanalytic psychotherapy in an integrated psychotherapy service: Are everyday allocation decisions theoretically congruent?. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research, 8 (2)(2008), 103-109.
- Ricketts T, Parry G, Forrest J, Mettam L, Houghton S & Saxon D (2008) An uncontrolled evaluation of guided self-help for panic disorder.. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, 15(1), 72-74.
- Houghton S & Saxon D (2007) An evaluation of large group CBT psycho-education for anxiety disorders delivered in routine practice.. Patient Educ Couns, 68(1), 107-110.
- Saxon D, Fitzgerald G, Houghton S, Lemme F, Saul C, Warden S & Ricketts T (2007) Psychotherapy provision, socioeconomic deprivation, and the inverse care law. PSYCHOTHER RES, 17(5), 515-521.
- Firth N, Saxon D, Stiles WB & Barkham M () Therapist and clinic effects in psychotherapy: a three-level model of outcome variability. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. View this article in WRRO
- Holt RIG, Hind D, Gossage-Worrall R, Bradburn M, Saxon D, McCrone P, Morris TA, Etherington A, Shiers D, Barnard K , Swaby E et al () STEPWISE: STructured lifestyle Education for People WIth SchizophrEnia: randomised controlled trial, Mixed-Methods Process Evaluation and Economic Evaluation. Health Technology Assessment. View this article in WRRO
- Barkham M, Lutz W, Lambert MJ & Saxon D () Therapist effects, effective therapists, and the law of variability., How and why are some therapists better than others?: Understanding therapist effects. (pp. 13-36). American Psychological Association
- Barkham M & Saxon D () Benchmarking Studies of Psychotherapy (pp. 1-4). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Conference proceedings papers
- Ricketts T, Wood E, Soady J, Saxon D, Hulin J, Ohlsen S & Mitchell C (2017) What is the effect of co-morbid depression on the use of unscheduled hospital care by people with a long term condition?. Society For Academic Primary Care National Conference Programme, 12 July 2017 - 14 July 2017.
- Hutten R, Parry GD, Barkham , Brazier , Dent-Brown , Hardy , Rick J, Chambers , Connell , de Lusignan S , Mukuria et al (2011) An evaluation of a new service model: Improving Access to Psychological Therapies demonstration sites 2006-2009, Final Report. View this article in WRRO
- Blackmore C, Beecroft C, Parry G, Booth A, Tantam D, Chambers E, Simpson E, Roberts E & Saxon D (2009) A Systematic Review of the Efficacy and Clinical Effectiveness of Group Analysis and Analytic/Dynamic Group Psychotherapy