Brian Reddy M.Sc., B.A. (Hon)
School of Health and Related Research
University of Sheffield
30 Regent Street
I studied Management Science and Information Systems Studies in Trinity College, Dublin, graduating in 2006. I then pursued a master’s degree in Decision Sciences from the London School of Economics.
From 2007 to 2010 I worked as a Research Fellow in the Clinical Operational Research Unit of UCL. I was involved in projects relating to intensive care triage for pandemic flu, identification of patients at risk for cardiac surgery and modelling risk for paediatric patients undergoing congenital heart surgery.
I began work on my current project in October 2010. It is funded by an ESRC grant, and is investigating how suitable multi-criteria decision analysis (MCDA) techniques are for use in public health settings. It is carried out in conjunction with the Centre for Public Health Excellence (CPHE) in the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). It brings together several areas of research including public health, health economics, decision analysis and operational research. Ultimately the aim of the project is the development of a flexible framework that can be used to solve a wide range of decision problems in public health guidance, which may be applicable nationally or internationally.
My research interests generally revolve around the practical application of OR techniques to healthcare scenarios. More specifically I am interested in the overlap in roles between decision making, health economics and public health, and what feasible steps can be taken to help make better informed decisions in this setting.
• Member of the OR Society
• Member of the International MCDM Society
• Member of the Royal Statistical Society
Multi-criteria approaches to public health decision making
1. Reddy B, Pagel C, Vuylsteke A, Gerrard C, Nashef S, Utley M. An operational research approach to identify cardiac surgery patients at risk of severe post-operative bleeding. Health Care Manag Sci. 2011 Sep;14(3):215-22. Epub 2011 Mar 15.
2. Vuylsteke A, Pagel C, Gerrard C, Reddy B, Nashef S, Aldam P, Utley M. The Papworth Bleeding Risk Score: a stratification scheme for identifying cardiac surgery patients at risk of excessive early postoperative bleeding. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2011;39:924-930. doi:10.1016/j.ejcts.2010.10.003
3. Reddy B. Another Bleeding Risk Score (BRiSc): A stratification scheme for identifying cardiac surgery patients at risk of excessive early postoperative bleeding. Winner of Best Poster at The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) International Conference on Quantitative Modelling in the Management of Health Care, March 2010
4. Reddy B. Could multi-criteria decision analysis offer a nice fit with public health? Exploring the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence decision making process. OR Society Annual Conference (OR53), September 2011