Elaine Scott MCSP, MPhil
Evaluation Programme Manager
Centre for Assistive Technology and Connected Healthcare (CATCH)
Health Services Research (Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Group)
School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR)
The Innovation Centre
Sheffield S1 4DP
Room: 1.09b, 1st Floor, The Innovation Centre
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 4301
I am currently employed as evaluation programme manager in the Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology group of the Health Services Research Section in ScHARR. Currently working on two NHS Vanguard evaluations and I have an input to the Perfect Patient Pathway Test Bed evaluation. I joined The University of Sheffield as a research study manager in 2012. Before joining ScHARR I was employed as a research physiotherapist and project coordinator by Muscular Dystrophy UK working in close collaboration with a national clinical network of NHS tertiary paediatric neuromuscular centres on projects to standardise clinical assessments for these patient groups and to develop longitudinal clinical databases. Clinical and academic leadership was from the Dubowitz Neuromuscular Centre. As part of this post I was seconded as UK Implementation Officer to the TREAT-NMD Project - an EU Funded Network of Excellence. Prior to that I was employed as a physiotherapist in the NHS,
specialising in the management of adults and children with long-term neurological disability. I was awarded my MPhil investigating the effects of functional electrical stimulation in individuals with spinal cord injury by Sheffield Hallam University.
Nourishing Start for Health (NoSH), Study manager for this Medical Research Council (NPRI) funded cluster RCT
HydroDMD Study: Co-applicant and member of the project management group for this NIHR HTA feasibility study
- Johnson M, Whelan B, Relton C, Thomas K, Strong M, Scott E & Renfrew MJ (2018) Valuing breastfeeding: a qualitative study of women’s experiences of a financial incentive scheme for breastfeeding. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 18(1). View this article in WRRO
- Relton C, Strong M, Thomas KJ, Whelan B, Walters SJ, Burrows J, Scott E, Viksveen P, Johnson M, Baston H, Fox-Rushby J, Anokye N, Umney D & Renfrew MJ (2017) Effect of Financial Incentives on Breastfeeding: A Cluster Randomized Clinical Trial.. JAMA Pediatrics. View this article in WRRO
- Hind D, Parkin J, Whitworth V, Rex S, Young T, Hampson L, Sheehan J, Maguire C, Cantrill H, Scott E, Epps H, Main M, Geary M, McMurchie H, Pallant L, Woods D, Freeman J, Lee E, Eagle M, Willis T, Muntoni F & Baxter P (2017) Aquatic therapy for children with Duchenne muscular dystrophy: a pilot feasibility randomised controlled trial and mixed-methods process evaluation. HEALTH TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT, 21(27). View this article in WRRO
- Hind D, Parkin J, Whitworth V, Rex S, Young T, Hampson L, Sheehan J, Maguire C, Cantrill H, Scott E, Epps H, Main M, Geary M, McMurchie H, Pallant L, Woods D, Freeman J, Lee E, Eagle M, Willis T, Muntoni F & Baxter P (2017) Aquatic therapy for boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD): an external pilot randomised controlled trial. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 3, 16-16. View this article in WRRO
- Relton C, Strong M, Renfrew M, Thomas K, Burrows J, Whelan B, Whitford H, Scott E, Fox-Rushby J, Anokye N, Sanghera S, Johnson M, Easton S & Walters S (2016) Cluster randomised controlled trial of a financial incentive for mothers to improve breast feeding in areas with low breastfeeding rates: the NOSH study protocol. BMJ Open, 6. View this article in WRRO
- Whitford H, Whelan B, van Cleemput P, Thomas K, Renfrew M, Strong M, Scott E & Relton C (2015) Encouraging breastfeeding: financial incentives. The practising midwife, 18(2), 18-21.
- Whelan B, Thomas KJ, Cleemput P, Whitford H, Strong M, Renfrew MJ, Scott E & Relton C (2014) Healthcare providers’ views on the acceptability of financial incentives for breastfeeding: a qualitative study. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 14(1), 355-355. View this article in WRRO
- Mayhew AG, Cano SJ, Scott E, Eagle M, Bushby K, Manzur A & Muntoni F (2013) Detecting Meaningful Change Using The North Star Ambulatory Assessment In Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 55(11), 1046-1052.
- Ricotti V, Ridout DA, Scott E, Quinlivan R, Robb SA, Manzur AY & Muntoni F (2012) Long-term benefits and adverse effects of intermittent versus daily glucocorticoids in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry.
- Scott E, Eagle M, Mayhew A, Freeman J, Main M, Sheehan J, Manzur A & Muntoni F (2012) Development of a Functional Assessment Scale for Ambulatory Boys with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Physiotherapy Research International, 17(2), 101-109.
- Mayhew A, Cano S, Scott E, Eagle M, Bushby K, Muntoni F & On BOTNCNFPND (2011) Moving towards meaningful measurement: Rasch analysis of the North Star Ambulatory Assessment in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 53(6), 535-542.
- Scott E & Mawson SJ (2006) Measurement in Duchenne muscular dystrophy: considerations in the development of a neuromuscular assessment tool. DEV MED CHILD NEUROL, 48(6), 540-544.
Conference proceedings papers
- Mayhew AG, Eagle M, Scott E, Bushby KMD, Adnan M, Muntoni F & Cano SJ (2012) S.P.5 Trial readiness: Clinical interpretability of change scores of the North Star Ambulatory Assessment in Duchenne muscular dystropy. Neuromuscular Disorders, Vol. 22(9-10) (pp 876-877)
- Guglieri M, Smith J, Eagle M, Scott E, Griggs R & Bushby K (2011) P1.34 Body mass index (BMI) and growth in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD). Neuromuscular Disorders, Vol. 21(9-10) (pp 651-652)
- Ricotti V, Manzur AY, Scott E & Muntoni F (2011) P4.5 Benefits and adverse effects of glucocorticoids in boys with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Neuromuscular Disorders, Vol. 21(9-10) (pp 705-706)
- Ricotti V, Manzur AY, Scott E & Muntoni F (2011) P81 Benefits and adverse effects of glucocorticoids in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy: a UK perspective. Neuromuscular Disorders, Vol. 21 (pp S30-S30)
- Manzur AY, Scott E, Munot P, Vijaykumar K, Muntoni F & on behalf of UK NorthStar Clinica (2010) P11 UK NorthStar Neuromuscular Clinical Network (NSCN): National audit results in Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) corticosteroid practice, vitamin D status and bone health. Neuromuscular Disorders, Vol. 20 (pp S8-S8)
- Eagle M, Scott E, Main M, Sheehan J, Michelle M, Guglieri M, Straub V & Bushby K (2007) G.P.1.08 Steroids in Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD): Natural history and clinical evaluation using the North Star Ambulatory Assessment (NSAA). Neuromuscular Disorders, Vol. 17(9-10) (pp 774-774)
- Acosta-Marquez C, Bradley D, Hawley M, Brownsell S, Enderby P, Buri H, Mawson S, Scott E & O'Neill P (2006) Design requirements and user interfacing for a rehabilitation robot for the lower limbs. 2006 IEEE Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics, Vols 1 and 2 (pp 499-504)