Consultant Nephrologist and Honorary Lecturer
|School of Health and Related Research
The University of Sheffield,
The Innovation Centre,
|The Sheffield Kidney Institute
Northern General Hospital
|Tel: +44 (0) 114 22 24346|
I am passionate about data. During my PhD (2010-2013) funded by Kidney Research UK using data from and collaborating with the UK Renal Registry I was able for the first time to link registry data to Hospital Episode Statistics data to undertake a range of analyses. This research is used as a case study by NHS digital, the Association of Medical Research Charities and Understanding Patient Data to highlight the value of secondary data analysis and data linkage.
I have received national junior investigator awards from the British Transplant Society and the Renal Association for analyses arising from this project. In 2015 was received an NIHR Clinician Scientist Award to fund my continued research into the excess admissions and deaths associated with the two-day break in patients receiving three times a week haemodialysis. This award allows me to continue clinical practice as a consultant nephrologist at the Sheffield Kidney Institute.
I am involved in a number of other renal studies including the UK-Catheter study (an ancillary study to the Peritoneal Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study) and SHARE-HD, a study designed to promote and understand the impact of encouraging in-centre haemodialysis patients to perform more tasks relating to their dialysis treatment. Collaborating with others I have published on albuminuria, obesity and renal bone disease, often championing the use of existing trial and cohort study datasets.
Outside of kidney disease, was part of the group who undertook the statistical appraisal of Summary Hospital Mortality Indicator for the Department of Health / NHS Information Centre, and have supervised the analysis a range of cohorts to understand the impact of smoking on cardiovascular events the prognosis following them. I coordinate and deliver medical education for medical students and core medical trainees.
Methods and Instruments:
- Patient reported outcome and experience measures – Symptom burden, patient activation, quality of life, experience of services
- Observational data, secondary use of data and data linkage for epidemiology and comparative effectiveness
- Statistical methods to reduced confounding – Instrumental variables, marginal structural models, G-methods and treatment switching
- Discrete choice experiments
- Predictive models and machine learning to inform decision making
- Realist Evaluation
- The two-day break in three times as week haemodialysis
- The health economics surrounding renal replacement therapy – In centre haemodialysis (range of formats and settings including intensive frequency/duration and minimal care), peritoneal dialysis, home haemodialysis and transplantation
- Patient centred care, decision making and research prioritisation
(L) Lead Applicant,
|Kidney Research UK (C)||The UK Peritoneal Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study: UK-PDOPPS – March 2018||£260,000|
|The Health Foundation (C)||Scaling up shared care haemodialysis: SHAREHD||£500,000|
|National Institute for Health Research (L)||Individualising in centre haemodialysis therapy to reduce the harm caused by the two-day break in the three times a week treatment schedule – Dec 2015||£521,823 over 5 years|
|British Renal Society (C)||Qualitative study into intensified haemodialysis regimes – Jan 2015||£15,000|
|Kidney Research UK (L)||Travel grant for peritoneal dialysis research – Jan 2015||£2,500|
|National Institute for Health Research (C)||Peritoneal Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (UK) – February 2014||£349,989|
|Department of Health (C)||Statistical appraisal of Summary Hospital Mortality Indicator – Feb 2011||£66,000|
|Kidney Research UK (L)||Clinical Training Fellowship – April 2010||£180,000 over 3 years|
- Alshreef A, Latimer N, Tappenden P, Wong R, Hughes D, Fotheringham J & Dixon S (2019) Statistical methods for adjusting estimates of treatment effectiveness for patient nonadherence in the context of time-to-event outcomes and health technology assessment: A systematic review of methodological papers. Medical Decision Making. View this article in WRRO
- Ashby D, Borman N, Burton J, Corbett R, Davenport A, Farrington K, Flowers K, Fotheringham J, Andrea Fox RN, Franklin G , Gardiner C et al (2019) Renal association clinical practice guideline on haemodialysis. BMC Nephrology, 20. View this article in WRRO
- Palmer J, Lloyd A, Steele L, Fotheringham J, Teare D, Iqbal J & Grech ED (2019) Differential risk of ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction in male and female smokers. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 73(25), 3259-3266. View this article in WRRO
- Chong J, Fotheringham J, Tomson C & Ellam T (2018) Renal albumin excretion in healthy young adults and its association with mortality risk in the US population.. Nephrol Dial Transplant.
- Fotheringham J, Barnes T, Dunn L, Lee S, Ariss S, Young T, Walters SJ, Laboi P, Henwood A, Gair R & Wilkie M (2017) Rationale and design for SHAREHD: a quality improvement collaborative to scale up Shared Haemodialysis Care for patients on centre based haemodialysis. BMC Nephrology, 18(1). View this article in WRRO
- Briggs V, Solis-Trapala I, Wailoo A, McCullough K, Lambie M, Caskey FJ, Fotheringham J, Davies SJ & Wilkie M (2017) United Kingdom Catheter Study- Protocol Synopsis. Peritoneal Dialysis International. View this article in WRRO
- Fotheringham J, Kawar B, McKane W & Ellam T (2017) Obesity modulates the association between systolic blood pressure and albuminuria. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. View this article in WRRO
- Lloyd A, Steele L, Fotheringham J, Iqbal J, Sultan A, Teare MD & Grech ED (2017) Pronounced increase in risk of acute ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction in younger smokers.. Heart, 103(8), 586-591. View this article in WRRO
- Li B, Cairns J, Fotheringham J & Ravanan R (2016) Predicting hospital costs for patients receiving renal replacement therapy to inform an economic evaluation. The European Journal of Health Economics, 17(6), 659-668.
- Fotheringham J (2015) PDI and Social Media: Benefits for Authors, the Journal and the Reader. Peritoneal Dialysis International, 35(7), 677-677.
- Li B, Cairns JA, Fotheringham J, Tomson CR, Forsythe JL, Watson C, Metcalfe W, Fogarty DG, Draper H, Oniscu GC , Dudley C et al (2015) Understanding cost of care for patients on renal replacement therapy: looking beyond fixed tariffs. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, 30(10), 1726-1734.
- Fotheringham J, Fogarty DG, El Nahas M, Campbell MJ & Farrington K (2015) The mortality and hospitalization rates associated with the long interdialytic gap in thrice-weekly hemodialysis patients. Kidney International, 88(3), 569-575.
- Fotheringham J, Odudu A, Mckane W & Ellam T (2015) Modification of the relationship between blood pressure and renal albumin permeability by impaired excretory function and diabetes. Hypertension, 65(3), 510-516.
- Fotheringham J, Weatherley N, Kawar B, Fogarty DG & Ellam T (2014) The body composition and excretory burden of lean, obese, and severely obese individuals has implications for the assessment of chronic kidney disease.. Kidney Int, 86(6), 1221-1228.
- Fotheringham J, Jacques RM, Fogarty D, Tomson CRV, El Nahas M & Campbell MJ (2014) Variation in centre-specific survival in patients starting renal replacement therapy in England is explained by enhanced comorbidity information from hospitalization data. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, 29(2), 422-430. View this article in WRRO
- Fotheringham J, El Nahas M, Ellam T, Campbell MJ & Fogarty DG (2013) Estimated Albumin Excretion Rate Versus Urine Albumin-Creatinine Ratio for the Estimation of Measured Albumin Excretion Rate: Derivation and Validation of an Estimated Albumin Excretion Rate Equation. American Journal of Kidney Diseases.
- Campbell MJ, Jacques RM, Fotheringham J, Maheswaran R & Nicholl J (2012) Developing a summary hospital mortality index: retrospective analysis in English hospitals over five years.. BMJ, 344, e1001. View this article in WRRO
- Fotheringham J, Balasubramanian SP, Harrison B & Wilkie M (2011) Post-parathyroidectomy parathyroid hormone levels: the impact on patient survival - a single-centre study in a stage 5 chronic kidney disease population.. Nephron Clin Pract, 119(2), c113-c120.
- Fotheringham J, Angel C, Goodwin J, Harmer AW & McKane WS (2011) Natural history of proteinuria in renal transplant recipients developing de novo human leukocyte antigen antibodies.. Transplantation, 91(9), 991-996.