School of Health and Related Research
The University of Sheffield,
The Innovation Centre,
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 8277
I joined the School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR) as a researcher in 2010 following completion of a NIHR fellowship MSC in Clinical Research. I am a Health and Care Professions Council registered Occupational Therapist (OT) with 19 years’ experience. I specialised in Stroke rehabilitation in 2001 and worked in this role with Sheffield Teaching Hospitals until 2016. I have a BSc in Occupational Therapy from the University of Wales College of Medicine and BSc in Geography from Aberystwyth University.
Within my research post I am evaluating the Perfect Patient Pathway Test Bed Programme. I also contribute to the Collaboration Aiming to Build Occupational Therapy Research (CABOT) programme of work, notably the 'older people and sight loss' and ‘Virtual Visit app’ projects.
As a Research Associate I have worked on the following projects:
- Internal evaluation team of the CLAHRC-SY
- Evaluation of the Doncaster Cancer Survivorship Programme
- The CLAHRC-SY Patient Experience of Transient Ischaemic Attacks study
- Curriculum Development of the ScHARR MSc in Clinical Research
My research interests are Occupational Therapy, Stroke, cognition, care staff training, realistic, developmental and complex evaluations.
I have undertaken curriculum development work for the ScHARR MSc Clinical Research course led by Dr. Liz Croot. I have taught on several clinical undergraduate courses and co-written a distance learning Stroke rehabilitation MSc unit. I provide training courses for clinicians and students within Sheffield Teaching Hospitals and the Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Neurology (ACPIN). In addition I have run information sharing workshops for stroke survivors at different strokes support groups.
I have provided personal tutoring, clinical placement and dissertation supervision to ScHARR MSc students and mentored SHU MSc OT students. As an OT, I am experienced in providing clinical placements.
- Vice-chair of the College of Occupational Therapy’s conference programme committee.
- Member of the Sheffield Occupational Therapy Clinical Academics group, the Collaboration for Research Neurological Network, a member of the British Association of Occupational Therapists and College of OT specialist section for Neurological Practice.
- I review for the UK Stroke Forum conference and UK Stroke Forum for Education and Training.
- I have presented at national and international conferences.
Perfect Patient Pathway Test Bed Evaluation
- di bonna L, Read J, Field R, Jones N, Fowler Davis S, Cudd P & Evans L (2018) Weaving a clinical academic career: illuminating the method and pattern to follow. British Journal of Occupational Therapy. View this article in WRRO
- Mazumdar S, Ciravegna F, Ireson N, Read J, Simpson E & Cudd P (2016) Communicating with Citizens on the Ground: A Practical Study. International Journal of Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management, 8(2), 50-69. View this article in WRRO
- Cooke J, Ariss S, Smith C & Read J (2015) On-going collaborative priority-setting for research activity: a method of capacity building to reduce the research-practice translational gap. Health Research Policy and Systems, 13. View this article in WRRO
- Croot E, Ryan A, Read J, Campbell F, O'Cathain A & Venables G (2014) Transient ischaemic attack: a qualitative study of the long term consequences for patients. BMC Family Practice, 1(15), 174-174. View this article in WRRO
- Campbell F, Croot E, Read J, Ryan T & Venables G (2013) PP58 Prevention of Stroke following a TIA – who Receives Care? A descriptive study of Patients Referred to TIA Clinics between 2007-2010 in a NHS Foundation Trust. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 67(Suppl 1), A71.3-A72.
- Read J & Palmer R (2013) A stroke staff training programme involving expert patients: a case study of its impact on staff and service development. International Practice Development Journal, 3(2).
- Smith CM, Read JE, Bennie C, Hale LA & Milosavljevic S (2012) Can non-immersive virtual reality improve physical outcomes of rehabilitation?. Physical Therapy Reviews, 17(1), 1-15.
- Croot L, Campbell F, Read J, Ryan T & Venables G (2012) Stroke Prevention: Delivering Personalised Care. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF QUALITATIVE METHODS, 11(5), 773-774.
- Read J, Ross S & Barton J (2009) Staff in service training on post-stroke psychological and communication issues. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation(16), 342-348.
Conference proceedings papers
- Read J, Cudd P, Simpson E, Ciravenga F & Mazumdar S (2017) Digitising the acute service based home assessment. BRITISH JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, Vol. 80 (pp 62-62) View this article in WRRO
- Mazumdar S, Ciravegna F, Ireson N, Read J, Simpson E & Cudd P (2017) Access Visits Using Video Communication.. Health technology and informatics, Vol. 242 (pp 102-110) View this article in WRRO
- Read J, Cudd P & Bangar S (2016) Improving detection and support for older people with sight loss: a preliminary study. 45th British Society of Gerontology Annual Conference
- Read J, Croot L, Campbell F, Ryan T & Venables G (2012) Patients’ experience of follow up after TIA: A qualitative study. International Journal of Stroke(2) (pp 18-18)
- Read J, Croot L, Campbell F, Ryan T & Venables G (2012) Improving stroke prevention services: Accessibility. Personalisation, communication and consistency need to be addressed. Cerebrovascular Diseases(Suppl 2) (pp 835-835)
- Read J (2011) Research be serious! When do I get time for that?. British Journal of Occupational Therapy. Brighton, 29 June 2011 - 1 July 2011.
- Read J & Clifford J (2011) Cost improvements: What goes? What stays?. British Journal of Occupational Therapy. Glasgow, 29 June 2012 - 1 July 2012.
- Read J () A remote home visit? : Exploring the possibilities for therapists. AAATE, 11 September 2017 - 15 June 2017.
- Read J, Ariss S, Ford K, Thompson J, Cooke J & Smith C (2012) Yorkshire Humber HIEC Evaluation report
- Read J, Ariss S, Cooke J, Smith C & Nancarrow S (2011) NIHR CLAHRC for South Yorkshire Internal Evaluation report
- Read J, Christie D, Ridout A, Bodell S, Taylor C & Levins K (2018) Planning Occupational Therapy conferences – working on collaboration with a member organisation. World Federation of Occupational Therapists congress.
- Read J, Cudd P & Bangar S (2016) Our sight: improving detection and support for older people with sight loss - a preliminary study. UK vision conference. 2016 June 14th : London, UK.