Dr Evangelos Kritsotakis BSc, MSc, PhD, FHEA, CStat
University of Sheffield
School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR)
Section of Public Health
30 Regent Street
I am an Associate Professor of Biostatistics at the School of Medicine of the University of Crete, Greece. Prior to this I was Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Epidemiology and Medical Statistics in the School of Health and Related Research, from June 2014 to December 2018. I currently hold an Honorary Lectureship appointment in ScHARR until December 2020.
My research interests lie in healthcare epidemiology, focusing on statistical and epidemiological principles and methods to evaluate and improve the delivery of hospital care, including infection control practices, antibiotic use and control of the transmission of multidrug-resistant pathogens. I teach Medical Statistics and Epidemiology in undergraduate programs in Medicine and master’s courses in Public Health and Clinical Research.
Awards & Honours
- Chartered Statistician, Royal Statistical Society, 2018
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2017
- William Jarvis Award, The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA), 2009
- Fellow/Cstat of the Royal Statistical Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Florey Institute for Host-Pathogen Interactions, allied disciplines group
- Member of the Medical Statistics Group, University of Sheffield
- Member of the International Society of Clinical Biostatistics
- Statistical reviewer for the Lancet Infectious Diseases.
- Durojaiye OC, Kritsotakis EI, Johnston P, Kenny T, Ntziora F, Cartwright K. Developing a Risk Prediction Model for 30-Day Unplanned Hospitalisation in Patients Receiving Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy, Clinical Microbiology and Infection, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmi.2018.11.009 .
- Kritsotakis EI, Astrinaki E, Messaritaki A, Gikas A. Implementation of multimodal infection control and hand hygiene strategies in acute-care hospitals in Greece: A cross-sectional benchmarking survey. American Journal of Infection Control 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2018.04.217 .
- Durdu B, Kritsotakis EI, Lee ACK, Torun P, Hakyemez IN, Gultepe B, Aslan T. Temporal trends and patterns in antimicrobial resistant Gram-negative bacteria implicated in intensive care unit-acquired infections: a cohort-based surveillance study in Istanbul, Turkey. Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance 2018; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgar.2018.04.015.
- Samuelson C, Kaur H, Kritsotakis EI, Goode SD, Nield A, Partridge D. A daily topical decontamination regimen reduces catheter-related bloodstream infections in haematology patients. Journal of Infection 2018; 76(2):132-139 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinf.2017.10.014
- Kritsotakis EI, Kontopidou F, Astrinaki E, Roumbelaki M, Ioannidou E, Gikas A. Prevalence, incidence burden, and clinical impact of healthcare-associated infections and antimicrobial resistance: a national prevalent cohort study in acute care hospitals in Greece. Infection and Drug Resistance 2017;10 317–328. https://doi.org/10.2147/IDR.S147459
- Tsioutis C, Kritsotakis EI, Karageorgos SA, Stratakou S, Psarologakis C, Kokkini S, Gikas A. Clinical epidemiology, treatment and prognostic factors of extensively drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii ventilator-associated pneumonia in critically ill patients. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 2016;48(5):492-497. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2016.07.007
- Kritsotakis EI, Tsioutis C, Roumbelaki M, Christidou A, Gikas A. Antibiotic use and the risk of carbapanem-resistant extended-spectrum-B-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae infection in hospitalized patients: results of a double case-control study. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2011; 66(6):1383-91. DOI: 10.1093/jac/dkr116
- Gikas A, Roumbelaki M, Bagatzouni-Pieridou D, Alexandrou M, Zinieri V, Dimitriadis I, Kritsotakis EI. Device-associated infections in the intensive care units of Cyprus: results of the first national incidence study. Infection 2010; 38(3): 165-171. DOI: 10.1007/s15010-010-0007-2
- Kritsotakis EI, Christidou A, Roumbelaki M, Tselentis Y, Gikas A. The dynamic relationship between antibiotic use and the incidence of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus: time-series modelling of 7-year surveillance data in a tertiary-care hospital. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2008; 14(8): 747-754. DOI:10.1111/j.1469-0691.2008.02026.x
- Kritsotakis EI, Dimitriadis I, Roumbelaki M, Vounou E, Kontou M, Papakyriakou P, Koliou-Mazeri M, Varthalitis I, Vrouchos G, Troulakis G, Gikas A. Case-mix adjustment approach to benchmarking prevalence rates of nosocomial infection in hospitals in Cyprus and Greece. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2008; 29(8):685-692. DOI: 10.1086/588704
- Kritsotakis EI and Gikas A. Surveillance of antibiotic use in hospitals: methods, trends and targets. Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2006; 12:701-704. DOI: 10.1111/j.1469-0691.2006.01415.x