Dr Corinne Owers MB/ChB, PGCertMedEd, MRCS
Postgraduate Research Student
School of Health and Related Research
30 Regent Street
ScHARR section: Public Health
Tel: +44 (0) 788 417 6416
Fax: +44 (0) 114 272 4095
Title of Research
Does pre-operative group education improve the psychological and physical outcomes of patients undergoing bariatric surgery?
I qualified as a doctor from the University of Sheffield in 2006, and have been training in surgery since then. I am currently a registrar in General Surgery with the aim of becoming an upper GI/ Bariatric surgeon on completion of m training. I have taken time out of my surgical training programme in order to complete a PhD at ScHARR, studying bariatric (weight loss surgery) and it’s effects on patients.
I have a significant interest in the fields of upper GI and bariatric surgery. Upper GI encompasses a wide range of subjects, both benign and malignant (cancer), providing many research opportunities. Bariatric surgery is still a relatively new area, which the medical profession are still trying to understand. My PhD was designed after speaking to many previous patients and noticing that many of them did not feel they received enough support or preparation prior to surgery. I aim to find ways to fulfil this need, as well as attempt to bridge the gap between surgeons and psychologists. I am therefore working very closely with the psychologists at Sheffield teaching hospitals in order to accomplish this goal.
My project looks in depth at the preparation patients undergo before bariatric surgery and how this impacts upon their health related quality of life. The study involves 3 stages: firstly, it involves a feasibility study to assess if an RCT involving a pre-operative educational course is possible. The second stage is to perform qualitative interviews to better understand how bariatric surgery has impacted upon patients quality of life, and this information will be used to design a course for use in the RCT. Finally, the RCT will be run as a pilot study assessing if patients undergoing an educational preparation course prior to surgery would be beneficial.
I have a post-graduate diploma in Medical Education, achieved from The University of Dundee in 2013, and am working on my Masters dissertation project. I feel that it is important for all doctors to be able to teach their colleagues, juniors and patients, and have always had a passion for teaching (wanting to be one until I was 15!). Therefore I hope to continue this line of work, as well as completing my research degree.
• Book: R. Ackroyd, C. Owers, N. Walker, C. Rajeswaran, The ultimate guide to weight loss surgery
January 2014-08-11, ISBN-10: 1496010310, ISBN-13: 978- 1496010315 Available on Amazon.com
• Corinne Owers, Roger Ackroyd. Management of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Hiatus Hernia: Overview and Authors' Perspective. Journal of Surgery. Vol. 1, No. 4, 2013, pp. 51-58.
• C Owers, R Ackroyd. Complications of Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding (LABG) performed by one surgeon over a 10-year period. Obesity Surgery: Volume 23, Issue 1 (2013), Page 56-59
• C Owers, G Garner Intra-Abdominal Injury from Extra-Peritoneal Ballistic Trauma Injury 2012 10.1016/j.injury.2012.07.191
• Owers C, Abbas Y, Ackroyd R, Barron N, Khan M. Peri-operative optimization of patients undergoing bariatric surgery. Journal of Obesity Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 781546, 6 pages
• Owers C, Ackroyd R. Diabesity treatment- What role for bariatric surgery? Diabesity in Practice 2012; 1: 51-57.
• CE Owers, R Ackroyd. Patient Management: The Surgical Management Of Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Disease. Foundation Years Journal, 6(4), 30–34. (2012, April).
• S Rymaruk, C Owers, R Ackroyd Aortic thrombus after bariatric surgery Journal of surgical case reports JSCR 2012 5:1
• Toquero L, Gadd R, Owers C, Simms J Post-coital Haemoperitoneum- A Downside to Intercourse Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2012;94: e00-e00
• C Owers, J Morgan, J Garner Your views: BJS April 7 2011
• C Owers, J Morgan, J Garner Abdominal trauma in primary blast injury Br J Surg. 2011 Feb;98(2):168-79
• Toquero L, Owers C, Chiang R, Skinner PS Bare Below The Elbows – A Patients’ Perspective Webmed central April 2011
• Owers CE, Vaughan P, Braidley PC, Wilkinson GAL, Locke TJ, Cooper GJ, Briffa NP, Hopkinson DN, Sarkar PK Atrial Myxomas: A single unit’s experience in the modern era Heart Surg Forum. 2011 Apr 1; 14(2):E105-9
• Owers C, Lees J, Roberts J Correct site Surgery- Are we up to standard? Cent. Eur. J. Med. 5(4):2010; 407-410
Owers CE, Stewart DJ, Stone J, Kelty CJ Hearing loss as an unusual consequence of metastatic gastric adenocarcinoma J. Surgical Case Reports Oct 2010
• Dr Vanessa Halliday
• Mr. Roger Ackroyd