Points of Contact: Where to turn for help

The Student Services Information Desk (SSID) provides help and information about all aspects of student life. Consulting their on-line service is your best first point of call. If you wish to speak to someone face-toface, SSID is located on Level 3 in the Union building and is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm throughout the year except on Bank Holidays and Training Days.

Where to Turn for Help
General enquiries: SEAS General Office
Module problems: Module Organiser
General academic problems: Degree Tutor
Personal problems: Personal Tutor
Change of course or status: Senior Tutor
Illness affecting exams or essays: Examinations Officer
Serious health problems: University Health Service
Disability and Dyslexia: Disability Liasion Officer
Counselling: Counselling Services
Registration: Registry Services

SEAS General Office

The SEAS General office is located on the Ground Floor of 6-8 Shearwood Road. Open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm except on Bank Holidays.

Module Organisers

The design of, and teaching for, each module is the responsibility of its organiser. You should approach your Module Organiser if you are having difficulties with your work. Students who have a disability that may require modified means of assessment, or may have an impact on the way in which the module is taught should inform the Module Organiser as soon as possible, preferably by the end of Week 1. These arrangements will be dependent on a formal recommendation from the Disability and Dyslexia Support Service.

Personal Tutors

During your undergraduate degree you might need help with academic or personal matters. Every student whether you are registered for a single or dual degree is allocated a Personal Tutor. You will meet with your Personal Tutor during Intro Week. Your Personal Tutor is a first point of contact if you want to discuss any problems. These conversations are confidential, and the tutor will not pass on anything of a personal nature to anyone else without your permission.

You can drop by and see your Personal Tutor throughout the academic year during their ‘consultation and feedback hours’ (include link to page) or you can email to make an appointment. Be sure to use appropriate email etiquette when emailing.

For the personal tutoring system and what sorts of things your personal tutor can do for you, please see 301: Student Skills and Development Centre and SSID: Academic Support & Feedback.

The ultimate responsibility for all students in the Department is taken by the Senior Tutor, Dr Zhong Zhang, who may be approached if the tutors at other levels are unable to offer the necessary assistance.

While SEAS tries wherever possible to keep the same Personal Tutor for each student during his or her time in Sheffield, it is sometimes necessary to assign a group of students to a different member of staff (temporarily or permanently) due to study leave.

Degree Tutors

The Degree Tutors are responsible for the organization and teaching of the four main study areas: Chinese, East Asian Studies, Japanese and Korean. Whether you are taking a single honours or a dual degree, your Degree Tutor is there to assist your academic progress. They can advise on module choices and will also be happy to answer any questions you may have about your course.

If you find you are falling behind for any reason - especially if you are studying single honours Chinese, Japanese or Korean in your first year - you should talk with your Degree Tutor as soon as possible. Some types of degree changes are possible in the first three weeks of each semester, but are thereafter usually impossible until the end of the academic year.

Your Degree Tutors are:
Dr Jamie Coates: Chinese Studies Degree Tutor
Dr Ziyi Wei: East Asian Studies Degree Tutor
Dr Deokhyo Choi: Korean Studies Degree Tutor
Dr Mark Pendleton: Japanese Studies Degree Tutor