Dr Ziyi Wei
Lecturer in Chinese Studies
Dr Wei joined the School of East Asian Studies (SEAS) in January 2014. Her research focuses on foreign direct investment (FDI) from emerging markets, a topic of increasing importance. She received her PhD degree from the Henley Business School (University of Reading), International Business and Strategy in July 2013. She was also a sessional lecturer in Henley Business School from 2012 to 2013, teaching subjects on international business, strategy and marketing to both undergraduates and postgraduates. Before that she had obtained her BSc from Tianjin Foreign Studies University (China) and MSc from Leeds University Business School (UK).
SEAS Research Cluster
Her current research interests include the internationalisation strategies of Chinese multinational enterprises (MNEs), Chinese MNEs' subsidiary strategies, and headquarters-subsidiary relationships.
Dr Wei welcomes PhD applications in the research areas of outward/inward foreign direct investments (FDI) of China and internationalization behaviors of Chinese multinational enterprises (MNEs) etc.
She is currently the module convenor for:
As I look back over my student life, I realize how important my previous lecturers and supervisors influence my personality, career choice and research interests etc. “Good teaching is as much about passion as it is about reason”. In other words, teaching is not just delivering knowledge to the student. It is an interactive and iterative process where students are motivated to learn, to discover their passion and interests, and to understand the changing world. My philosophy on education is more than facilitating students to pass exams and obtain degrees, and more importantly, it is essential for students to apply what they’ve learned to real-life contexts and develop their future career.
- Wei, Z.Y., Nguyen, Q.T.K. Home county institutions and subsidiary strategy of Chinese multinationals. European International Business Academy (EIBA) Conference 2016, WU Vienna (Austria), December 2016.
- Wei, Z.Y., Nguyen, Q.T.K., & Rugman, A. Rethinking the literature on the performance of Chinese multinational enterprises. International Business at AIB UK Chapter Annual Conference 2014, York (UK), April 2014.
- Wei, Z.Y. & Oconnell, D. Apples to oranges or different varieties of apples? The foreign entry strategies of Chinese firms. International Business at AIB UK Chapter Annual Conference 2014, York (UK), April 2014.
- Wei, Z.Y. How IB theory explains “greenfield or acquisition by Chinese manufacturing MNEs”. European International Business Academy (EIBA) Conference 2012, Sussex (UK), December 2012.
- Wei, Z.Y. New Empirical Findings in the Establishment Mode Choices by Chinese MNEs. Doctoral Consortium (A) in International Business at AIB UK Chapter Annual Conference 2012, Liverpool (UK), April 2012.
- Wei, Z.Y. The entry mode choice between greenfields and acquisitions, and their strategic implications: The case of Chinese MNEs. Doctoral Consortium in International Business at AIB UK Chapter Annual Conference 2011, Edinburgh (UK), April 2011.
- Wei Z & Nguyen Q (2019) Local Responsiveness Strategy of Foreign Subsidiaries of Chinese Multinationals: The Impacts of Relational-assets, Market-Seeking FDI, and Host Country Institutional Environments. Asia Pacific Journal of Management. View this article in WRRO
- Wei Z & Nguyen Q (2017) Subsidiary strategy of emerging market multinationals: A home country institutional perspective. International Business Review, 26(5), 1009-1021. View this article in WRRO
- Rugman A, Nguyen Q & Wei Z (2016) Rethinking the Literature on the Performance of Chinese Multinational Enterprises. Management and Organization Review, 12(2), 269-302. View this article in WRRO
- M. Rugman A, T.K. Nguyen Q & Wei Z (2014) Chinese multinationals and public policy. International Journal of Emerging Markets, 9(2), 205-215. View this article in WRRO
- Wei Z (2012) A comment on China and “The social responsibility of international business scholars”. Multinational Business Review, 20(1), 92-103.
- Wei Z (2010) The literature on Chinese outward FDI. Multinational Business Review, 18(3), 73-112.
- Wei Z, Gao J & Yao Y (2007) The application of social cognitive theory in higher education. Journal of Tianjin Academy of Educational Science, 23-25.