My first degree was in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language in Beijing Language and Culture University. I did my MA on Linguistics and Applied Linguistics in Beijing Language and Culture University and MA on Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language in University of Sheffield. From 2013 till Now, I am studying PhD in School of East Asian Studies, University of Sheffield, focusing on the evaluation and development of teaching materials for teaching Chinese as a foreign language.
Thesis Title: The assessment of textbooks used in the UK for Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (TCFL).
Academic Supervisor: Dr Lily Chen
Textbooks are used widely in the classrooms of second language teaching, however it is common that textbook users are not entirely satisfied with the textbooks they use. The starting point of this research is to discover whether textbooks used in TCFL classrooms in the UK are sufficient for the needs of users and to discover the reasons. This research adopts a qualitative research method to collect opinions on textbooks from the users (TCFL teachers, learners and administrators) and the textbook designers. A group of textbooks will also be included in as data set. Drawing on the theories on second language acquisition, teaching methodology, needs of learners and textbook development, this research hopes to reveal the gaps between the development of textbooks, textbooks as products and the expectations of users, in order to discover the sufficiency of textbooks and the reasons for the unsatisfactory mentioned above. Through this project, the researcher also aims to build up models/lists of criteria to illustrate the needs of textbooks users in the foreign language teaching context, as well as the writing process of textbook designers in this context. This project will provide an overview on the situation of textbook development and usage in a foreign language teaching context of Chinese.
- “The Roles of Textbooks in the TCFL Classrooms of UK - From the Views of Teachers”. Presented on the Fourth Symposium on the Supervision of Research Students (SSRS) in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language (TCSL), Aug, 2015.
- “The Roles of Textbooks in the TCFL Classrooms of UK - From the Views of Teachers”. Presented on First Postgraduate Conference on TCFL, Apr, 2015.
- “A discussion about the categorical status of bei in Chinese long passives”. Presented on the14th China International Conference on Contemporary Linguistics. Apr, 2012.
- “An examination of the relationship between language of instruction and student language background in the TCFL classroom”, accepted by The 9th BCLTS International Symposium on Innovation and Standardisation in Teaching and Learning Chinese. Aug, 2011.
- “A comparison of the idioms in English and Chinese from the perspective of Pragmatics.” Presented on the 8th International Symposium on Bilingual Learning (Second author). 2008.
Funding and Awards
- University of Sheffield Faculty Scholarship (Oct, 2013 – Oct, 2016)