Students from outside the UK

Are you from outside the UK and interested in studying languages and cultures? You should consider Sheffield!

 We offer a top-ranked university, a School in the world top 100 for modern languages, courses that are flexible, well organised and expertly taught ( in the most recent Research Assessment Exercise, up to 70% of our research was rated as internationally excellent or world-leading), an outstanding location, and a welcoming, open-minded outlook towards students from all parts of the world.

Why Sheffield

Find out why Sheffield is a great place to study and to live in. What do International students say about Sheffield? Read their blogs (USA, Canada, Hong Kong).

Undergraduate Study

Students decide what they want to major in and apply to study for a degree in that subject. This means that you choose areas of study that interests you. You do not have to take course requirements outside of your chosen area(s). So whether you’re interested in linguistics, literature, history, politics or cultural studies, there’s a place for you at Sheffield.

Postgraduate Study

All our MA programmes enable you to combine theory with practice and vice versa; make a meaningful contribution to your academic discipline and future profession; develop your own interests in your area of study gain a wide range of high-level transferable skills

More information for:

EU students.

International Students.

Good to know

  • The University provides a number of scholarships for non-UK students and Sheffield has a lower cost of living than most other large UK cities.
  • Our graduates get jobs. Good ones in diverse sectors like teaching, journalism, marketing and law, to name a few.
  • Gaining a degree from Sheffield will vouch for the fact that you are highly proficient not only in the language (or languages) you have studied but also in English.
  • Sheffield is generally recognised as the safest big city in Britain.  
  • There is plenty to do in the city, including in our award-winning Students' Union.
  • If you’re studying for a different degree in Sheffield, you can still take language modules as part of your course through our Modern Languages Teaching Centre (MLTC).
  •  Sheffield is a city like no other
Sheffield Students' Union by night

Visa Information

Most students from outside Europe will need a visa to study in the UK. The International Student Support Team provides detailed information about visas and any other questions you have. You can reach them by email: or telephone +44 (0)114 222 1269+44 (0)114 222 1269.

We value our international students

We recognise the diversity, ideas and cultural wealth that students from beyond the UK bring to Sheffield. We want you to be active in our student body and make the most of your time at university. We take international student support seriously.

Your student experience is at the heart of what we do. That’s why international students are a major part of our projects. Check out our latest international campaign.

Contact us

Got any more questions? Email us, tweet us @sheflanguages or message us on facebook.