Visual Cultures, Film and Performance
This research cluster includes work in the fields of film, visual culture, fine art and performance and supports strong curricula of research-led teaching in these areas.
- Contemporary French cinema and documentary practices Dr Renate Gunther, Dr Julia Dobson
- Spanish and Latin American film Dr Lauren Rea, Professor Philip Swanson, Dr Peter Watt, Professor David Wood
- Soviet identity and cinema Professor Evgeny Dobrenko
Visual Culture and Art
- Contemporary French visual art and the representation of carceral spaces Dr Amanda Crawley-Jackson
- The history of Soviet visual arts and material culture Dr Oliver Johnson, Professor Susan E Reid
- Photography and contemporary Mexican art Dr Julia Banwell (new appointment)
- Catalan visual culture, gender and physical culture Dr Louise Johnson
- Development of memorial sites in post-war Germany and the visualization of evil Dr Caroline Pearce
- Contemporary French theatre and performing objects Dr Julia Dobson
Researchers in the school have undertaken partnership and curatorial projects with the Cultural Industries in Sheffield (Showroom cinema, Site Gallery, Millennium Galleries) and beyond. For more on this please see the School's Public Engagement page.
Some examples of things this Research Cluster is involved in:
The establishment of co-supervisory teams within SLC supports cross-disciplinary and cross-linguistic research projects. We welcome proposals from potential postgraduate students in all these fields.