University Services

Library facilities

The University has a comprehensive range of library facilities. Details can be obtained by consulting the university web site. The role of the University Library is to provide access to the world’s knowledge. There is a wealth of material available – over 1,500,000 printed volumes and 23,000 electronic journals – and staff to help you find what you need.

The University Library delivers its services electronically so that they are available whenever you need them, anytime of day or night, on or off campus. Additionally, the Library has four sites: the Information Commons; Western Bank Library; St George’s Library; the Diamond and the Health Sciences Library.

The Information Commons holds the majority of core texts found on reading lists. This extremely popular 24-hour facility has 1,300 seats, 550 PCs, complete wireless networking, flexible spaces to enable group study, a café and access to all the Library’s electronic resources. While studying and researching at Sheffield you will also need to use the other Library sites to gain access to more specialised books, monographs and journals. These are the Western Bank Library for arts, languages, architectural studies, law, social sciences and pure sciences, St. George’s Library for engineering, management, economics, information studies, and computer science, and the Health Sciences Library, on two sites, for medicine, dentistry and nursing.

The Library works in partnership with academic departments to fully support the information needs of students. This is achieved by coordinating all the print and electronic information resources required for individual modules and by providing training in the use of resources through the Library’s extensive information literacy programme.

Library staff are on hand at each site to offer advice and assistance. If you have problems, for example, locating material in the Library, accessing electronic resources, or need help with your Library account please ask any member of staff. Alternatively, please email Our Faculty Librarians offer subject-specific guidance (see and specialist staff can advise with disability and additional support requirements.

The Library web pages at offer extensive information about making the best use of resources and services.


As part of your registration with the University you will receive a UCard from the University which will enable you to access the University's libraries, computing facilities and also to benefit from student discounts. These are not normally posted to you but are collected from the relevant programme coordinator. There is a replacement charge if you lose your UCard.

Your UCard can be obtained in one of two ways:

a) you may complete a form that will be sent at the time you are offered a place on a programme. In this case your UCard will be sent to you directly.

b) you may pick up the UCard yourself from Corporate Information and Computing Services (CICS) at Hounsfield Road, once you have been registered. In this case please contact CICS first on 0114 222 1111 to check that your card is ready.

If you are fully registered and do not have a UCard, or your UCard has expired, you can obtain one from the Student Services Information Desk in the Students' Union. You will need your registration number and some identification e.g. your expired UCard.

If you are considering taking further units in the Diploma, BMedSci or MMedSci pathways, please keep your UCard because this will be re-activated.

Please ensure you are in receipt of a UCard as soon as possible as not having one may restrict your access tot he library.

IT Support

Corporate Information and Computing Services known as CiCS is our IT Support department.

As part of your registration the University provides you with a computer account which gives access to computing facilities, library services and student information.

As a new student with the University, CiCS will issue you with a username, a password, and a brief guide to logging on to your account and to some of the services available.  If you do not have details of your computing account you can get in touch with the CiCS Helpdesk by ringing extension 21111 (0114 222 1111) or email them or alternatively you can go to the CICS Centre in Hounsfield Road.

You can also visit their website for help with a range of computing services offered services by the University such as connecting to Wi-Fi, setting up printing, how to change your password or what to do if you have forgotten your password.

Being a student means you can also access FREE software such as Microsoft Office 365 and you also have access to a range of Google Serivces as part of your Univesity account such as Google Drive, YouTube and more.

Visit the CiCS website to find out more

If you need help with any technologies used for learning such as MUSE, MOLE, Submitting assignments through Turnitin you can contact your Departmental Learning Technologist or visit our Learning Technologies support website here

Academic Support 301 Glossop Rd

301 is the University's Student Skills and Development Centre based in 301 Glossop Road, the Centre offers a range of services and activities to support your skills development.

Careers Service

Once you are registered as a student, you can come and talk to the Careers Service, even if you have no idea about what you want to do next. They can provide lots of support and plenty of information to help you get started with your career planning. You can book an appointment via our system, Career Connect, which also has lots of careers events and job vacancies just for you.

Visit their website to find out more:

Student Union

Our Student Union has been awarded the No.1 Students Union for a number of years and can offer advice, support and information for not only undergraduate but postgraduate students too from anything from entertainment, social life, sport, clubs and societies.

Student Registration

If you are a new student registering with us you can find all the essential information you need to know about registering as a student here:

If you are a continuing student who is either moving into a further year of study, returning from a leave of absence or have studied with us before and need to confirm your intention to continue your studies you can get help here

For students registering to undertake our part-time CPD modules you can find more information about the Schools registration process here