Professor Jane Seymour, RGN, BA(hons); MA, PhD
Professor of Palliative and End-of-Life Care
The University of Sheffield
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Barber House Annexe
3a Clarkhouse Road
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 2078
I qualified as a nurse in 1982 and gained a PhD from the University of Sheffield in 1994. After that I worked as a research fellow, Senior Lecturer and Reader. I rejoined the University of Sheffield in April 2016 as Professor of Palliative and End-of-Life Care following ten years at the University of Nottingham as the leader of the Sue Ryder Care Centre for the Study of Supportive, Palliative and End-of-Life Care.
I have contributed to research grants and awards totalling over £7.5 million and have published over 140 outputs in peer reviewed journals. I have made contributions to more than 20 key texts on palliative care, most recently publishing book chapters in edited collections about end-of-life care for older people (2010; 2015); palliative sedation (2014) and advance care planning (2010; 2015).
My current research interests include: advance care planning and end-of-life decision-making, palliative and end-of-life care for frail older people; palliative and end-of-life care in resource poor contexts nationally and internationally; public education for end-of-life care.
Specialist areas of teaching include palliative and end-of-life care; qualitative and mixed research methods, particularly as applied to palliative and end-of-life care.
I supervise Masters and PhD students and have examined at doctoral level nationally and internationally.
I contribute by invitation to workshops and seminars, nationally and internationally, aimed at the education of health and social care professionals and researchers in the field of palliative and end-of-life care.
I am the Chair of the National End-of- Life Care Research Funders Interest Group (convened by Marie Curie) and a member of the Marie Curie Strategic Advisory Committee and Quinquennial Research Review committee. I was a member and deputy chair of the Health Care Sciences Research Review Panel, Swedish Research Council (2013 and 2012) and member of The Commission into the Future of Hospice Care, 2011 to 2013.
- Van der Heide, A. (EU study co-ordinator)Advance care planning. An innovative palliative care intervention to improve quality of life in oncology (ACTION). A multi-centre cluster randomised trial.
- Seymour, J., Tod, A., Wilcock, A et al.Improving Palliative Care for Patients with Advanced Cancer: A Systematic Review of Evidence on the Role and Outcomes of Clinical Nurse Specialists and Related Complex Interventions
- Johnston, B. , Almack K., Wilson, E. and Seymour, J.E. Macmillan Specialist palliative care at home service: a national evaluation.
- Seymour J & Cassel B (2017) Palliative care in the USA and England: a critical analysis of meaning and implementation towards a public health approach. Mortality, 22(4), 275-290. View this article in WRRO
- Pino M, Parry R, Land V, Faull C, Feathers L & Seymour J (2016) Engaging Terminally Ill Patients in End of Life Talk: How Experienced Palliative Medicine Doctors Navigate the Dilemma of Promoting Discussions about Dying. PLOS ONE, 11(5), e0156174-e0156174. View this article in WRRO
- Brummell SP, Seymour J & Higginbottom G (2016) Cardiopulmonary resuscitation decisions in the emergency department: An ethnography of tacit knowledge in practice. Social Science & Medicine, 156, 47-54. View this article in WRRO
- Wilcock A, Crosby V, Hussain A, McKeever TM, Manderson C, Farnan S, Freer S, Freemantle A, Littlewood F, Caswell G & Seymour J (2016) Lung cancer diagnosed following an emergency admission: Mixed methods study of the management, outcomes and needs and experiences of patients and carers. Respiratory Medicine, 114, 38-45. View this article in WRRO
- Rietjens JAC, Korfage IJ, Dunleavy L, Preston NJ, Jabbarian LJ, Christensen CA, de Brito M, Bulli F, Caswell G, Červ B, van Delden J, Deliens L, Gorini G, Groenvold M, Houttekier D, Ingravallo F, Kars MC, Lunder U, Miccinesi G, Mimić A, Paci E, Payne S, Polinder S, Pollock K, Seymour J, Simonič A, Johnsen AT, Verkissen MN, de Vries E, Wilcock A, Zwakman M & van der Heide A (2016) Advance care planning – a multi-centre cluster randomised clinical trial: the research protocol of the ACTION study. BMC Cancer, 16(1). View this article in WRRO
- Nkhoma K, Seymour J & Arthur A (2015) An Educational Intervention to Reduce Pain and Improve Pain Management for Malawian People Living With HIV/AIDS and Their Family Carers: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 50(1), 80-90.e4.
- Musa I, Seymour J, Narayanasamy MJ, Wada T & Conroy S (2015) A survey of older peoples' attitudes towards advance care planning. Age and Ageing, 44(3), 371-376.
- Wilson E, Morbey H, Brown J, Payne S, Seale C & Seymour J (2015) Administering anticipatory medications in end-of-life care: A qualitative study of nursing practice in the community and in nursing homes. Palliative Medicine, 29(1), 60-70. View this article in WRRO
- Seymour J, Rietjens J, Bruinsma S, Deliens L, Sterckx S, Mortier F, Brown J, Mathers N, van der Heide A, Addington-Hall J, Anquinet L, Brown J, Bruinsma S, Deliens L, Mathers N, Mortier F, Payne S, Raus K, Rietjens J, Seale C, Seymour J, Smithson WH, Sterckx S, Janssens R & van der Heide A (2015) Using continuous sedation until death for cancer patients: A qualitative interview study of physicians’ and nurses’ practice in three European countries. Palliative Medicine, 29(1), 48-59. View this article in WRRO
- Bruinsma SM, Brown J, van der Heide A, Deliens L, Anquinet L, Payne SA, Seymour JE & Rietjens JAC (2014) Making sense of continuous sedation in end-of-life care for cancer patients: an interview study with bereaved relatives in three European countries. Supportive Care in Cancer, 22(12), 3243-3252.