Dr Tony Ryan PhD, MA, PG Cert, BSc(Hons)
Reader in Older People, Care and the Family
The School of Nursing & Midwifery
Tel: +44 (0)114 222 2062
Email : email@example.com
My work in the field of older people and family care spans 20 years having worked on a number of large scale research studies and service development projects in the field of dementia, stroke and palliative and supportive care. My PhD in the field of stroke rehabilitation was undertaken in ScHARR before a move to the School of Nursing & Midwifery in 2004 as a Lecturer in Rehabilitation and Family Care. I led the Stroke theme of the CLAHRC South Yorkshire between 2009 and 2013. I continue to undertake research and teaching activities in the field of long-term conditions and ageing, with current grants focusing upon dementia and advance care planning and older people & sexuality and intimacy.
I am Director of Research in the School of Nursing & Midwifery with responsibility for leading the Department’s strategy, capacity development and research innovation and impact.
Research methods, sociology of ageing, palliative & supportive care and dementia/stroke care practice.
I have acted as Deputy Chair and Panel member for a number of Institutional Reviews at European Universities. Editorial board member of Annals of Palliative Medicine. Reviewer for a number of peer reviewed journals. Reviewer for a number of UK and European funding bodies. Provided University of Sheffield representation on a number of local NHS commissioning and service provider boards. Between 2009 and 2013 I was a member of the CLAHRC for South Yorkshire Executive Board. I have acted as the Co-producer of a short film to help communicate research findings.
- Intimage: Older people’s sexuality and intimacy (EU)
- Dementia and advance care planning (NIHR)
- Long term stroke and weight gain (NIHR)
- Collaborations in Leadership for Applied Health Care and Research for South Yorkshire (CLAHRC-SY)
- Stroke Theme Lead (PI) (NIHR)
- Transitions to palliative care for older people in acute hospital settings (Co-app.) (SDO/NIHR)
- Ryan T, Amen KM & McKeown J (2017) The advance care planning experiences of people with dementia, family caregivers and professionals: a synthesis of the qualitative literature. Annals of Palliative Medicine, 6(4), 380-389.
- Ryan T, Harrison M, Gardiner C & Jones A (2017) Challenges in building interpersonal care in organized hospital stroke units: The perspectives of stroke survivors, family caregivers and the multidisciplinary team. Journal of Advanced Nursing. View this article in WRRO
- Gardiner C, Ingleton C, Ryan T, Ward S & Gott M (2017) What cost components are relevant for economic evaluations of palliative care, and what approaches are used to measure these costs? A systematic review.. Palliat Med, 31(4), 323-337. View this article in WRRO
- Gardiner C, Ingleton C, Gott M & Ryan T (2015) Exploring the transition from curative care to palliative care: a systematic review of the literature. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care, 5(4), 335-342. View this article in WRRO
- McKeown J, Ryan T, Ingleton C & Clarke A (2015) 'You have to be mindful of whose story it is': the challenges of undertaking life story work with people with dementia and their family carers.. Dementia (London), 14(2), 238-256. View this article in WRRO
- Gott M, Gardiner C, Ryan T, Parker C, Noble B & Ingleton C (2013) Prevalence and predictors of transition to a palliative care approach among hospital inpatients in England. Journal of Palliative Care, 29(3), 147-153.
- Gardiner C, Harrison M, Ryan T & Jones A (2013) Provision of palliative and end-of-life care in stroke units: a qualitative study.. Palliat Med, 27(9), 855-860.
- Ryan T, Ingleton C, Gardiner C, Parker C, Gott M & Noble B (2013) Symptom burden, palliative care need and predictors of physical and psychological discomfort in two UK hospitals.. BMC Palliat Care, 12, 11. View this article in WRRO
- Gardiner C, Gott M, Ingleton C, Seymour J, Cobb M, Noble B, Bennett M & Ryan T (2013) Extent of palliative care need in the acute hospital setting: a survey of two acute hospitals in the UK.. Palliat Med, 27(1), 76-83. View this article in WRRO
- Ryan T, Gardiner C, Bellamy G, Gott M & Ingleton C (2012) Barriers and facilitators to the receipt of palliative care for people with dementia: the views of medical and nursing staff.. Palliat Med, 26(7), 879-886.
- McKeown J, Clarke A, Ingleton C, Ryan T & Repper J (2010) The use of life story work with people with dementia to enhance person-centred care.. Int J Older People Nurs, 5(2), 148-158.
- Ryan T, Ingleton C, Gardiner C, Nolan M & Gott M (2009) Supporting people who have dementia to die with dignity.. Nurs Older People, 21(5), 18-23.
- Ryan T (2009) End-of-life care for people with dementia: A thematic review of familial involvement, practices and beliefs. INT J DISABIL HUM DE, 8(1), 15-20.