Dr Andrea Wigfield
Department of Sociological Studies
Director and Research Specialist, CIRCLE
CIRCLE (Centre for International Research on Care, Labour and Equalities)
+44 114 222 6484
Full contact details
Department of Sociological Studies
Andrea joined the University of Sheffield in October 2015 after working at the University of Leeds, where she was initially Deputy Director and then Director of CIRCLE, which (with founding Director, Professor Sue Yeandle), Andrea brought to Sheffield.
Prior to working at the University of Leeds, Andrea was Director of an independent research company, the Policy Evaluation Group (2002-11).
Andrea has a track record of establishing strong networks in both academia and with external stakeholders in the public, private and voluntary sectors and have built a range of research partnerships.
She has been directly awarded research funding of over £2 million as Principal Investigator, has published over 50 books, chapters, articles, and reports, and worked on approximately 70 externally funded projects. Alongside Dr Royce Turner, Andrea was responsible for developing a measurement framework for good relations for the Equality and Human Rights Commission between 2009 and 2010.
- Research interests
Andrea is a leading researcher on evidence based policy and practice, specialising in policy and programme evaluation relating to social exclusion and marginalised communities.
She has worked extensively on contemporary challenges facing women, (including BME women), carers, and older people. Andrea is particularly interested in Good Relations and its significance across and within the equality strands, and in different urban and rural spaces.
The key principles which guide Andrea's work are academically rigor, and evidence based research which is policy driven and leads to impact and change.
Many aspects of Andrea's research focus on co-production involving all key partners in the research process, including the end users. Andrea specialises in making complex research findings accessible to a wide range of audiences.
- "‘..It takes a lot of brain space’: Understanding young carers’ lives in England and the implications for policy and practice to reduce inappropriate and excessive care work. ". Children & Society.
- ‘A lonely old man’: empirical investigations of older men and loneliness, and the ramifications for policy and practice. Ageing and Society. View this article in WRRO
- Changing the narrative: The role of frontline worker attitudes and beliefs in shaping dementia friendly services in England. Disability & Society. View this article in WRRO
- Assessing the Effectiveness of Social Indices to Measure the Prevalence of Social Isolation in Neighbourhoods: A Qualitative Sense Check of an Index in a Northern English City. Social Indicators Research, 40(3), 1017-1034. View this article in WRRO
- Its time to recognise how harmful high-rise living can be for residents. Clinical Psychology Forum(306), 11-13.
- Mr Cameron's New Language Initiative for Muslim Women: Lessons in Policy Implementation. Political Quarterly, 87(3). View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Safeguarding Children when Fabricated or Induced illness (FII) is suspected or proven: Reviewing the experiences of Local Safeguarding Children Boards (LSCB) in England. Child Abuse Review.
- View this article in WRRO Developing a new conceptual framework of meaningful interaction for understanding social isolation and loneliness. Social Policy and Society.
- Lessons from a Voluntary Sector Organisation working to address loneliness and isolation amongst older people during the Covid-19 pandemic.. Voluntary Sector Review.
- 2015-21 Leeds Older Peoples Forum. Topic: Evaluation of Time To Shine – a programme to reduce social isolation amongst older people In Leeds
- 2015-16 Leeds City Council. Topic: Evaluation of Chapletown Choice – a pilot DCLG initiative designed to deliver services differently
- 2014-15 Leeds City Council. Topic: Social Isolation amongst Older People in Leeds: sense checking a social isolation Index
- 2014-15 Age UK. Topic: Evaluation of the fit as a fiddle portfolio – designed to improve health and wellbeing amongst older people
- 2012-15 Carers UK. Topic: Evaluation of Supporting Carers in General Practice - a programme developed by Carers UK, Carers Trust and RCGP to identify and support carers through General Practice and in primary care
- 2013-14 Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council. Topic: Review of Doncaster’s Assistive Technology Services
- 2012-13 NHS North Lincolnshire. Topic: Needs of Carers in North Lincolnshire: A Scoping Exercise
- 2011-14 National Institute of Health Research (NIHR). Topic: Improving employment opportunities for carers: identifying and sharing good practice (with IES)
- 2012 Skills for Care. Topic: Workforce Development for Assisted Living Technology– a national survey of social care staff and three local authority case studies
- 2009-10 Equalities and Human Rights Commission (EHRC). Topic: Good Relations Measurement Framework (with Middlesex University).
- 2010 Metropolitan Support Trust. Topic: How effectively are the needs and aspirations of new migrants integrated and informing Local Area Agreements in Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire?
- 2008-9 Sheffield City Council. Topic: Evaluation of Sheffield Multiple Heritage Service Parents’ and Carers’ Group
- 2009 Sheffield City Council. Topic: Evaluation of LASOS
- 2009 Cafcass. Topic: Private Law Consultation: “How It Looks To Me”
- 2009 Watford Football Club Community Sports and Education Trust. Topic: Quality Assurance Manual
- 2008 Cafcass. Topic: Health and Well-being Review: Experiences of Young People in Care
- 2008 Business Link and Inova. Topic: Business Start-Ups through Mentoring
- 2008 Equalities and Human Rights Commission. Topic: Equality Statistics in Practice at a Local Level (with Prof Yeandle)
- 2008 Burngreave New Deal for Communities. Topic: Commissioning Framework for Community Development Work
- 2007-8 Learning and Skills Council Yorkshire and Humber. Topic: Attitudes towards work amongst Pakistani and Bangladeshi women in West Yorkshire
- 2007 Consortium of South Yorkshire CVS Organisations. Topic: Pioneer Areas Project: Final Evaluation
- 2007 Burngreave New Deal for Communities. Topic: Evaluation of Burngreave Drug Project
- 2007 Local Government Yorkshire and Humber. Topic: Evaluation of Employment Team
- 2005-6 Jobcentre Plus. Topic: Ethnic Minority Women’s Employability Project
- 2006 Burngreave New Deal for Communities. Topic: Evaluation of Community Engagement Team
- 2006 Swinton Community Partnership. Topic: Swinton Community Partnership Mid-Term Evaluation
- 2005-6 Department for Work and Pensions. Topic: Customer Service Standards and Accessibility: Literature Review
- 2005 Forge Community Partnership. Topic:Forge Community Audit
- 2005 Objective One Worsbrough Community Consultation
- 2005 Sheffield City Council and the four Sheffield Primary Care Trusts. Topic: Black and Minority Ethnic Older People’s Joint Service Initiative – Analysis and Evaluation of Current Strategies
- 2005 Tankersley Community Association (TCA) and Forge Community Partnership. Topic: Business Plan for Tankersley Welfare Hall
- 2004 SYAC and Sheffield City Council. Topic: Business Plan for SYAC Limited (South Yorkshire African-Caribbean Enterprise Centre)
- 2004 South Yorkshire Research and Intelligence Unit and Doncaster Learning Partnership. Topic: Good Practice in Re-Engaging Doncaster Males in Learning
- 2004 Northern College. Topic: Evaluation of Work-Life Balance in Partnership
- 2004 Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council and Doncaster East PCT. Topic:Housing Needs Analysis for Under 18 Year Olds with Children in Doncaster
- 2003-4 Swinton Community Partnership. Topic: Swinton Community Consultation
- 2003-4 South Yorkshire Research and Intelligence Unit and Barnsley Learning Partnership. Topic: Attitudes and Experiences of Employees in Barnsley’s Mechanical Engineering Sector
- 2003-4 LSC and ESF co-financing. Topic: High Achieving Women
- 2002 Burngreave Community Action Trust. Topic: Audit, Needs Assessment and a Capacity Building Strategy: Burngreave and New Deal for Communities and Surrounding Areas.
- 2002-3 Joseph Rowntree Foundation Carers and Employment: Line Manager perspectives, (with Prof Yeandle and with input from three other HEIs)
- 2001-2 Joseph Rowntree Foundation. Topic: Organisations, Careers and Caring, (Co-Applicant with R. Crompton and J. Dennett)
- 2000-1 Joseph Rowntree Foundation. Topic: Employers, Communities and Family-Friendly Employment Policies (with Prof Yeandle and Prof Crompton)