Study Skills Tutorials
What to expect from a tutorial
301 Study Skills Tutorials can help you improve your study skills strategies and academic techniques, and through the development of these skills, get more out of your course at university.
We provide an opportunity for you to have a 30 minute 1:1 discussion with a specialist study skills tutor about any area relating to your university study, assessment, research or learning. Tutors will not correct your work for you, but will help you understand what you need to know to correct it yourself in the future. They can also point you in the direction of additional resources, worksheets, templates and opportunities across the University of Sheffield.
Very good tutorials. I will be recommending them!
first-year geography student
What is covered?
Some of the topics you may want to talk about include:
- Exam revision strategies and exam techniques
- Conducting an original piece of research
- Planning and getting started on an essay/report/dissertation
- Managing your workload and beating procrastination
- Effective reading and note-taking techniques
- Working effectively with a project or dissertation supervisor
The tutorials are extremely helpful and staff are very friendly!
second-year medical student
Study Skills Tutorials can't cover:
- Proofreading, or revising draft pieces of work before submission
- Subject specific issues. The advice given can't relate to specific content (i.e. that of your discipline).
What do I need to do before I come?
As the sessions are quite short, it would be useful if you could have a think about how your studies are going generally, and what you would like to discuss. If you wish, you may bring a piece of marked work so that the tutor can see which aspects of your work markers have commented on. The tutor will not however correct mistakes or advise on the content of your work for you.
Click on any highlighted time to make a booking. Appointments become available 2 weeks in advance. (You may need to scroll down or across to see all available appointments). Appointments are often cancelled and become available at the last minute, so remember to keep checking the calendar below for availability.
PLEASE NOTE that due to high demand, appointments are limited to one per week per student. Please do not book more than one session or it will be cancelled.