Writing Advisory Service
The Writing Advisory Service (WAS) is a facility provided by the English Language Teaching Centre (ELTC) to help improve the writing skills of both home and international students. These appointments are for fully registered, degree-level students at the University of Sheffield.
It is always helpful when producing some written work to try it out on a reader. WAS provides you with the opportunity to discuss your writing in a one-to-one situation for an hour at a time with a specialist writing tutor.
You can discuss any of the following areas of difficulty which you might be having with your writing:
- logical organisation and linking of ideas
- paragraph structure
- sentence length and structure
- punctuation and spelling
- referencing both within the text and in a bibliography
- vocabulary (but not too subject-specific)
- register: formal vs. informal language
- overall structure of an essay, report or thesis (in general rather than specific terms)
Find out more about the Writing Advisory Service at: