This page provides information, support and advice for students and members of the public who are asylum seekers.
We have a dedicated asylum seeker contact within the Central Welfare and Guidance team (CWAG) who can provide tailored, individual and sustained support and impartial advice throughout your time at University.
Where you require support or information please contact Central Welfare and Guidance.
Asylum Seeker Scholarship
Five scholarships are available for students who are seeking asylum in the UK and are studying undergraduate or taught postgraduate courses at the University of Sheffield.
- The scholarships cover the cost of tuition and provide a £9,840 award to support living costs for each year of study.
- Our aim is to support students under the government’s resettlement programme or who are recent arrivals in the UK.
For information about eligibility requirements and how to apply for Asylum Seeker Scholarships, please visit the page below.
ELTC Scholarship for English Language Courses
There are a number of scholarships available for full time and part time students seeking asylum in the UK who are studying in the English Language Teaching Centre (ELTC).
For more information please visit the relevant page below.
- ELTC Scholarship for Full-Time English Language Courses
- ELTC Scholarship for Part-Time English Language Courses
Public Access to University Services
As an asylum seeker you do not need to be a registered student to access the following resources.
- IT Services and Student Action for Refugees Sheffield (STAR) have set up computer accounts for local asylum seekers and refugees to access the wireless network across the University.
- This allows internet access on a personal device or login via a University networked computer across campus for up to 3 months at a time.
Please contact STAR to request a computer login.
Part-Time General English Language Classes
The English Language Teaching Centre (ELTC) offers fee-paying part-time classes to students, staff and the public to improve English language skills for personal or professional reasons.
To register your interest please contact the Financial Support Team.
For more information, please visit the page below.
Online Learning Resources
The ELTC also provide access to free online language support materials, available via the page below.