Students with Caring Responsibilities

This page offers advice, information and support for students with caring responsibilities.

Students with caring responsibilities

If you are a student from a care background, please visit the page below.

Student carers

You are classified as a student carer where you are looking after another person on an unpaid basis who otherwise could not manage on their own, due to various reasons including:

  • old age
  • disability
  • mental health problems
  • chronic or terminal illness
  • alcohol or drug addiction/dependency

Personal support

University support

Where you are facing personal or emotional difficulty, our support services can provide you with the necessary support and advice.

Our Student Access to Mental Health Support Service (SAMHS) offer confidential one-to-one support and provide information and guidance on a range of issues.

Alternatively, you can visit our Student Online Support pages which will signpost you to the most appropriate information and services.

To ensure you have access to all of the support available to you, please notify us of your caring responsibilities via the form below.

Students With Caring Responsibilities Form

External support

By law, you are entitled to an assessment of your needs to determine how you can balance your personal health and wellbeing with your role as a carer.

You can set up a meeting with the social services department for the area in which the person you are caring for lives to help you identify what support you need and how to access it.

You may be eligible for:

  • respite care
  • membership of carers support groups
  • access to a Carer’s Emergency Scheme

The pages below outline some national and local support organisations.

Academic support

Before you arrive, we recommend you inform your academic department of any responsibilities which may have an impact your studies or ability to attend classes.

Your academic department will support you where you experience difficulty keeping up with academic work, or your timetable clashes with your caring responsibilities for example.

You will be assigned a personal tutor who will also be able to offer support and discuss any adjustments that you may need in relation to your studies.

Financial support

University Bursary

If you are a recognised carer you may be eligible for the University Bursary. Please visit the page below for more information.

For further guidance, please contact our Fees and Funding Team.

Carer’s Allowance

If you are a part-time student with caring responsibilities you may be eligible for a carer's allowance provided by the government.

For more information and how to apply, please visit the page below.

Where you require independent advice relating to welfare benefits, please contact the Student Advice Centre.

Council Tax Exemption

For specific information about Council Tax and exemption for student carers, please visit the ‘Student Carers’ section on the page below.