Right to Rent Letter

Please make sure you have read the information from the Student Advice Centre before requesting a Right to Rent nomination letter:

Once you have secured a property, if your landlord is unable to complete standard Right to Rent checks for any reason, they may ask you for a Letter of Nomination from the University. SSiD can produce these letters for you if have been told you need one.

The Home Office require the letter to include the name and address of the landlord, and the address of the prospective property, so you must update this information through MUSE before you come to SSiD.

To upload your addresses:

  1. Log in to MUSE
  2. Select myRecord from the My Services menu
  3. Add the Landlord's Address & Prospective Address

Once you have done this you can simply come to SSiD in the Students' Union Building for your letter. Unfortunately the home office requirements mean that we cannot email electronic copies to you.

Right to Rent Letters of Nomination DO NOT confirm your student registration status and cannot be used for any other purpose (such as council tax exemption or opening a bank account). Therefore this is the only letter SSiD can provide to new students before registration. If your landlord has asked you for a Student Status Letter, you will need to register for the University before we can provide you with one.

International Students:

If you feel like you have been discriminated against by a landlord or letting agency in Sheffield, please contact the Student Advice Centre at advice@sheffield.ac.uk