Extension to Time Limit of Study
Taught Postgraduate (PGT) students only
Application to extend the time limit of study may be approved in cases where a student has been unable, for good reason, to complete their dissertation studies (and/or other assessed modules/units) by the normal submission date. Further guidance is provided in the sections below.
Please note, however, a student who has failed their dissertation (and/or failed other assessed modules/units) should not apply for an extension to time limit, but should instead apply to resit their dissertation. See links in the See Also box to Re-Assessment (to resit externally without attendance) or to Repeat Study (to resit as full-time/part-time student internally with attendance).
1. Who to Consult With
- You must discuss your proposed course of action with an Academic Adviser in your department/school (e.g. your Personal Tutor, Course Tutor, Director of Studies, as appropriate).
- Read/Print the Signposting Sheet for Students (from the Downloads box). This contains a list of things you should consider, including sources of advice and information, if you are thinking of applying to extend your time limit of study.
- General guidance and information is also available at Help and Support for Students on the Student Services information Desk (SSiD) website (link in See Also box).
- You may also find it helpful to consult the Students' Union Advice Centre (link in See Also box).
2. Financial Implications
Please note extending your time limit of study may have significant financial consequences which you are advised to check before making any final decision, e.g.
- Extending your time limit of study may impact on tuition fees paid or due and you may need to pay a Continuation Fee. Further information about Continuation Fees is available from the link in the See Also box.
- The length of the extension should be carefully assessed and agreed with your department/school. If you finish earlier than anticipated no refund will be given on "unused" parts of your Continuation Fee.
- If you are unsure as to exactly how your tuition fees may be affected, please seek advice from the Student Fees Section of Registry Services on 0114 222 1306 or email the link below.
3. Visa/Immigration Implications
If you are in the UK on a student visa, please ensure that you have read this information before submitting an Extension request to your department.
- Please note that the University must report changes in your circumstances to the UK Home Office, including: changes of programme, extensions to time limit of study, leave of absence, withdrawal, failure to attend.
If you are a Taught Postgraduate student studying certain subjects in engineering and science and if you are extending your time limit for more than 3 months, you may be required to apply for a new ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) certificate from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). Your extension cannot be approved until proof that you have submitted your request for a new ATAS certificate to the FCO. For further information see the link to ATAS Information in the See Also box.
4. To Extend your Time Limit of Study
- Discuss your proposed change of status (COS) with an Academic Advisor in your department/school (e.g. Personal Tutor, Course Tutor or Director of Studies, as appropriate).
- Download the COS Form for PGT Extension to Time Limit (from the Downloads box) and complete the Student Details section.
- Take the COS Form to your Academic Adviser and complete the rest of the Form with their assistance. Both you and your Academic Adviser should sign and date the Form.
- You will also need to obtain a Departmental Approval signature. Once the COS Form is completed you should submit it to your department/school office, who will arrange for the departmental approval and then forward it to the Student Administration Service for approval and processing.
- Once the extension to time limit is approved and your central student record has been updated, you will receive confirmation of the extension to your University email account. This confirmation will also advise of any Continuation Fee that is payable. You may wish to print the confirmation email for your own records.
5. Additional Actions
- Have you contacted International Student Support to make an appointment (if appropriate)?
- Have you paid any Continuation Fee that is due?
- Have you notified Accommodation & Campus Services, if you are living in University accommodation?