Withdrawing from the University

Before completing your form

1. Who to Consult With

  • You must discuss your proposed course of action with an Academic Adviser in your department/school (e.g. your Personal Tutor, Year/Course Tutor, Director of Studies, as appropriate).
  • Read/Print the Signposting Sheet for Students (see Downloads box). This contains a list of things you should consider, including sources of advice and information, if you are thinking of withdrawing from the University.
  • General guidance and information is also available at Help and Support for Students on the Student Services information Desk (SSiD) website (link in See Also box).
  • You may also find it helpful to consult the University Careers Service and/or the Students' Union Advice Centre (links in See Also box).

2. Financial Implications

Please note withdrawal may have significant financial consequences which you are advised to check before making any final decision, e.g.

  • If you receive any form of grant/bursary from your sponsor, you may be required to repay a portion of this, depending on when your withdrawal takes effect.
  • If you receive a student loan from the Student Loans Company, you may be asked to make earlier repayment of any Student Loan. In addition, if you undertake another higher education course in the future, it is possible that Student Finance England (SFE) will decide that you are not entitled to any payment towards tuition fees for the new course.
  • Your withdrawal may impact on tuition fees paid or due, and you may even be entitled to a refund (see link to Fee Reduction and Refund Policy in the See Also box).
  • If you are unsure as to exactly how your tuition fees may be affected, please seek advice from the Student Fees Section of the Student Administration Service on 0114 222 1288 or email the link below.

Email: studentfees@sheffield.ac.uk

3. Visa/Immigration Implications

If you are in the UK on a student visa, please ensure that you have read this information before submitting a Withdrawal request to your department.

  • Please note that the University must report changes in your circumstances to the UK Home Office, including: changes of programme, leave of absence, withdrawal, failure to attend.

Email: International Student Support

4. To Withdraw from the University:

  • Discuss your proposed change of status (COS) with an Academic Adviser in your department/school (e.g. Personal Tutor, Year/Course Tutor or Director of Studies, as appropriate).
  • Download the COS Form for Withdrawal/Transfer Out (from the Downloads box) and complete the Student Details section.
  • Take the COS Form to your Academic Adviser and complete the rest of the Form with their assistance. Both you and your Academic Adviser should sign and date the Form.
  • You will also need to obtain a Departmental Approval signature. Once the COS Form is completed you should submit it to your department/school office who will arrange for departmental approval and then forward it to the Student Administration Services for approval and processing.
  • Once withdrawal is approved and your central student record has been updated, you will receive confirmation of the withdrawal to your University email account. Your University computer account will close down 2 weeks after the withdrawal is processed. You may wish to print the confirmation email for your own records, as it cannot be recovered at a later date.

Email: studentadmin@sheffield.ac.uk

  • Please Note: If you are transferring to another institution, please give details of the new institution in the COS Form. This is important for student support purposes; if you are Student Finance England (SFE) sponsored you may encounter tuition fee difficulties at your new institution if full details are not provided.

COS Form for Withdrawal/Transfer Out (PDF, 136 kB) Download thumbnail

5. Additional Actions

  • Have you contacted International Student Support to make an appointment (if appropriate)?
  • Have you notified the Student Loans Company (SLC) or your funding sponsor of the change (if appropriate)?
  • Have you notified Accommodation Office, Accommodation & Commercial Services (ACS) if you are living in University accommodation?