Council Tax

Council Tax banner

About Council Tax

Council Tax is a charge to help pay for certain public services such as libraries, schools and police.

Council Tax Exemption

Students registered on a full time programme of study may be exempt from paying Council Tax or may qualify for a reduction in the amount payable.


You may find the answer to your enquiry on our frequently asked questions about Council Tax web page.

Not Eligible for Exemption

  • Part-Time Students
  • Some ELTC Students
  • Postgraduate Taught Students who are awaiting results
  • Postgraduate Research Students who have submitted

Example of Certificate

Example of the certificate you may need to provide to the council to prove you are a student.

Request an Exemption Certificate

If you are unable to get to Sheffield during office opening hours e.g. Distance Learning, Year Abroad or TILL, you can request a letter online.

Erasmus/Study Abroad

Example format of the letter an Erasmus / Study Abroad students home University will need to provide.

Email SSiD

If you can not find the answer to your question on these web pages and can not visit SSiD, you can email us with your enquiry.