Personal Care Support

Skills for Life

Personal care support is the practical help and support which you would require for your daily life even if you were not a student.

Personal care support is often provided to disabled people to assist them with routine tasks such as

  • Getting up
  • Washing
  • Going to the toilet
  • Cleaning the house
  • Shopping and cooking

Personal care support can also cover the cost of specialist equipment (such as wheelchairs or profiling beds) that a disabled person would need regardless of whether s/he was at University.

Funding care support

If you are likely to require any personal care support you need to ensure that you have sufficient funding to cover the cost of it as far in advance of your arrival at the University as possible.

UK students

During your time at the University of Sheffield funding for any personal care you will require should come from the Social Services department of the local authority where you are ‘ordinarily resident.’ For most students this will be the local authority where they are coming from, where they feel most settled and have the strongest ties.

The process of applying for and finalising a package of personal care support can take a long time. If you think you are likely to require care assistance or equipment whilst you are at University you should contact your local authority as soon as possible to start to discuss this – ideally around a year in advance of the start of your course.

It is also helpful if you let us know as early as possible if you are applying for care funding. If necessary we can then provide information about the course you will be studying and the University environment to ensure that your care support needs are assessed as accurately as possible.

Disability Rights UK have a helpful guidance page for disabled students, including information on personal care.

International students

The University cannot provide any funding to cover the cost of assistance with day-to-day living tasks. As such, if you are an international student and are likely to require any kind of care assistance during your time here you need to ensure well in advance of arrival that you have sufficient funding to pay for this.

Whilst you will need to take responsibility for arranging any care support you require we may be able to advise you on how to do this; please contact us if you would like to discuss this further.