Financial Support is the University of Sheffield’s hardship fund.The funds are to support students facing financial difficulties due to unforeseen costs. This page outlines the support available and how to apply.
Applications are currently closed. If you are in need of urgent financial support and meet the eligibility criteria below please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for Financial Support you must meet all of the criteria listed below:
- You are facing financial difficulties due to unforeseen costs
- You are a registered student on a full-time or part-time degree programme
- You've received your first instalment of Student Finance funding, if you are eligible to apply for this (students experiencing an unforeseen delay to funding may submit an application)
The following examples are not considered unforeseen costs and will not be considered:
- Tuition fees
- Accommodation costs
- Study costs
- General living costs
It is expected that you will have secured sufficient funding before you started your course to support yourself and pay your tuition fees for the duration of your studies.
Points to note
- Not all applications will be successful.
- Awards are a contribution to costs and will not necessarily cover all of your financial needs.
- We will only consider one Financial Support application per academic year, unless exceptional circumstances apply.
- Applications are treated with the utmost confidentiality and will never be shared with departments, unless you give us permission to do so.
- Visiting students should apply to their home university for financial help.
How to apply
Applications for financial support are now closed. We will open applications for 2020-21 on Monday 10 August.
If you are in urgent need of funding please email us to discuss your situation.
Help and Advice
If you need to discuss your financial situation with someone please contact the Student Advice Centre, in the Students' Union. They can also help you submit an application for Financial Support.
*Please note that the Student Advice Centre is currently closed but can be contact by telephone or email.