Applications to the Participation Grant are now closed. We hope to offer the award again in October 2019.
The Participation Grant is here to help students take part in Students' Union led sports and activities.
Students who fulfil any of the following criteria can apply:
If you have any questions about the Participation Grant please contact the Financial Support Team (email@example.com / 0114 222 1319).
When assessing applications the Panel will consider the number of eligibility criteria met and the following points:
Further points to note
- Evidence - All applicants should be aware that the Panel may request additional evidence to support an application. If this evidence is not provided your application may not be considered. All evidence must be submitted by the application deadline.
- Multiple applications - You should not submit more than one application. If you submit more than one application the one requesting the higher amount will be assessed. If multiple applications request the same amount of funding the activity/society which comes first alphabetically will be considered.
- Awards - The maximum amount you can apply for is £200. If the total requests for awards exceeds the funding available you may receive a percentage of the amount you asked for. You can only receive one award per academic year. Successful and unsuccessful applicants will be contacted regarding the outcome of their application. Receiving an award in previous years does not guarantee that you will receive one again.
- Sports club membership - Students who are successful in applying for support with the cost of a sports club membership will have the option to have their award paid in to their Sport Sheffield account. These funds can then be used to pay your membership costs. Where membership costs form part of an award the remaining amount will be paid in to your bank account.
- Bank account - Successful awards can only be paid into a UK bank account belonging to the applicant.
- Registration - Students must be fully registered on their course by 31st October to receive an award.
- Confidentiality - Applications are seen by senior members of staff from the University and the Students' Union. In some cases it may be necessary for additional supporting evidence to be sought by yourself from other University staff in order for the Panel to reach a decision. All applications are anonymised.
- Data Protection - The University of Sheffield is a Data Controller as defined in the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018. The Student Services Department follows University policy in matters of data protection. All personal data is processed in accordance with the University's Privacy Notices: www.sheffield.ac.uk/govern/data-protection/privacy
- Examples of what can be included - membership fees, transport costs, essential kit and equipment, group hoodies, costs related to tournament fees, additional costs as a result of a disability, trips related to key aims and objectives of the club or society.
- Examples of what can't be included - gym membership, physiotherapy, social events/trips.
- Please note that the application process is a competitive one and not all applications will be successful. The decision of the Panel is final.