The Participation Grant provides up to £200 to help students take part in sports and activities led by the Students' Union and Sport Sheffield. This page explains what the support can be used for and how to apply.
Applications are now open and will close at 5pm Sunday 1 November 2020.
Awards of up to £200 are available to help you get involved in Students’ Union and Sport Sheffield led sports and activities.
You are eligible to apply if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You are in receipt of the University of Sheffield Bursary Scheme.
- You are a postgraduate student who was in receipt of a maintenance grant as an undergraduate student (if you started your undergraduate course after August 2016 you will need to provide evidence from the Student Loans Company to confirm your household income was assessed as £40,000 or less).
- You are in receipt of an Enhanced Bursary from the University of Sheffield.
- You are facing unexpected financial difficulties.
- You have a disability.
- You are a parent or carer.
- You are an international student who is facing additional costs because of your immigration status.
Examples of what can be included: membership fees, transport costs, essential kit and equipment, group hoodies, costs related to tournament fees, additional costs as a result of a disability, trips related to key aims and objectives of the club or society.
Additional costs incurred due to the COVID-19 will be considered by the panel on an individual basis. Please contact the Financial Support Team if you would like to discuss your request before submitting an application.
Examples of what can’t be included: gym membership, physiotherapy, social events/trips.
How to apply
1. Complete the application form below. You should refer to the ‘Selection process’ section below for guidance on submitting an application.
A paper application form is also available, please contact us if you would like a paper application form.
2. Attach all required evidence to your application form.
|Examples of evidence required||
The evidence you will need to provide depends on which eligibility criteria you meet. If the criteria you meet is not listed below you should not need to send in any additional information.
The following eligibility criteria require additional evidence:
You will need to provide a copy of a letter from Student Finance confirming that you were in receipt of a maintenance grant or maintenance loan equivalent to a household income of £40,000 or less during your undergraduate course. If you studied your undergraduate course at the University of Sheffield you will not need to send this.
You will need to provide your most recent 3 months bank statements for all accounts and a statement explaining why you are facing unexpected financial difficulties.
You will need to provide a short statement explaining why you are facing additional costs because of your immigration status.
3. Submit your application and all required evidence before the deadline. If evidence is not provided your application may not be considered.
The deadline to apply is 5pm Sunday 1 November 2020.
4. You will be notified of the outcome of your application within two weeks of the application deadline.
When assessing applications the Panel will consider the number of eligibility criteria met and the following points:
- Has the applicant has provided a clear rationale for applying for support to take part in Students' Union led sports or activities.
- Is the applicant is facing circumstances that are preventing them from taking part in their chosen sport/activity.
- How important is receiving support so that the applicant can participate.
Please note that the application process is a competitive one and not all applications will be successful. Receiving an award in a previous year does not guarantee that you will receive one again. The decision of the panel is final.
If you have any questions about the Participation Grant please contact the Financial Support Team:
You should not submit more than one application. If you submit more than one application the one requesting the higher amount will be assessed. If multiple applications request the same amount of funding the activity/society which comes first alphabetically will be considered.
The maximum amount you can apply for is £200. If the total requests for awards exceeds the funding available you may receive a percentage of the amount you asked for. You can only receive one award per academic year.
Sports club membership
Students who are successful in applying for support with the cost of a sports club membership will have the option to have their award paid in to their Sport Sheffield account. These funds can then be used to pay your membership costs. Where membership costs form part of an award the remaining amount will be paid in to your bank account.
Successful awards can only be paid into a UK bank account belonging to the applicant.
Students must be fully registered on their course by 31st October to receive an award.
Applications are seen by senior members of staff from the University and the Students' Union. In some cases it may be necessary for additional supporting evidence to be sought by yourself from other University staff in order for the Panel to reach a decision. All applications are anonymised.
The University of Sheffield is a Data Controller as defined in the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018. The Student Services Department follows University policy in matters of data protection. All personal data is processed in accordance with the University's Privacy Notices.