Mental Health

The University of Sheffield and the NHS provide a wide range of support options to our patients. If a mental health problem is impacting on your studies, please remember you can discuss this with your personal tutor, university mentors or student welfare liason in your department.

Student Access to Mental Health Support (SAMHS)

SAMHS is the first point of contact for any University of Sheffield student to explore a broad range of mental health support needs in a single triage appointment. Through a triage appointment you can access a wide number of options that will be recommended to support your mental wellbeing.

I'd like to book a triage appointment with SAMHS

SAMHS is unable to offer crisis support. If you feel that you need to speak to somebody urgently please contact the UHS reception team on 0114 222 2100. You can also talk to The Samaritans on 116 123.
See our In Crisis page for further advice

Mental Health Emergencies

A mental health crisis might be a sudden deterioration of an existing mental illness or it might be a person experiencing a mental illness for the first time. The nature of a mental health emergency will always depend on personal circumstances. Some people experience suicidal impulses, the need to self-harm, are immobilised by depression or are in a state of psychosis. Others may experience an acute confusion because of infection, overdoses or intoxication by drugs or alcohol. If you or a person you know requires urgent medical care which is not life threatening, you can call University Health Service and ask to speak to a doctor: 0114 222 2100.If we are closed, or you are uncertain who to call for help, then call 111

Eating Disorders

The University Health Service provides a specialist eating disorders service. You can self refer to this by completing this online form.


Students with mental health problems which impairs their ability to undertake study related tasks may be eligible for additional support from the University’s Disability and Dyslexia Support Service (DDSS). If you think you may need this additional support, you should visit the DDSS webpage.
For support with study related skills, the 301 Student Skills and Development Service provide a number of helpful sessions throughout the year.