Sensitive Questions

A partner has informed me she/he has a STD - How do I get a STI check?

Male patients, please make an appointment in the male sexual health clinic.

Female patients, please make an appointment in the female sexual health clinic.

Do I need to wash my duvet if I have scabies?

No, it is not necessary to wash your duvet. Air it and do not use for 2 days.

How do I get the morning after pill?

The emergency contraceptive pill is used to prevent pregnancy after unprotected intercourse. It is best taken and most effective within the first 24 hours but can be taken up to 72 hours after sex. A prescription can be obtained from our nurse practitioners. It is also free of charge at the Walk In Centre and Sexual Health Sheffield or may be purchased over the counter at pharmacies.

I have a problem down below, what should I do?

Male and Female nurses are available to discuss and help you with any sexual health worries. Please make an appointment and if you do this online, you can indicate your concerns.

What do I do about bleeding from the back passage?

Please make an urgent appointment to see one of the doctors at the University Health Service. You can do this online and indicate the reason for your appointment.

I think I have a strange vaginal discharge, what should I do?

It is normal for all women to have a vaginal discharge. It is usually clear/opaque and can get thicker and greater in quantity at certain times of the menstrual cycle. If the discharge seems different to what it normally is for you eg different colour, consistency, amount and is causing you discomfort, then you can make a 20 minute female nurse appointment. The nurse will ask you some questions and may examine you with your permission and may take some swabs to see if there is an infection present. You can also look on our link for further information on Thrush and Bacterial Vaginosis and STI’s.

What do I do if I bleed in between my periods?

It is not always abnormal to bleed in between periods. This could be caused by missing a pill if you take oral contraception or because of an illness. However, bleeding could be related to an infection or another problem and it would therefore be advisable to make a Dr appointment for advice and examination if necessary.

Can I have free condoms?

Yes. These are available from Sexual Health Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, 0114 226 8888 or you can request an appointment with a Health Care Assistant at UHS.

Can I get a full sexual health screening at UHS or do I have to go up to GUMed?

Yes, we offer a full sexual health screen at UHS for both men and women. Please ask for a 20 minute nurse appointment in either the male sexual health clinic or the female sexual health clinic.

Do you do smears at UHS?

Yes, please ask reception to book you a 20 minute smear appointment at any time within your menstrual cycle when you are not bleeding.

I am worried about a friend who may be depressed, what should I do?

Advise your friend to make a Dr Appointment here at UHS.

I am worried about a friend who may be self-harming, what should I do?

Advise your friend to make an appointment with a doctor here at UHS.

I am worried about a friend who may have an eating disorder, what should I do?

Advise your friend to make either an appointment with a doctor or with one of our eating disorders specialist nurses here at UHS.

If a patient has been raped or sexually assaulted do you always inform the police?

If the patient is under the age of 16 years we need to follow the National Child Protection Guidelines for the child’s safety.

If the patient is over the age of 16 years, the police would only be involved if the patient had given permission.

Back to the top