Unwell and Need Medical Help?

Choosing the right service when you're feeling unwell.

Home Treatment

Home treatment can often be the best treatment.  Your local pharmacy and the NHS Website can provide expert advise in managing many conditions at home.

Visit www.nhs.uk for more information and advice.

We recommend that you stock your medicine cabinet with some self care essentials such as:

  • paracetamol;
  • ibuprofen;
  • anti-diarrhoea medicine;
  • re-hydration mixtures;
  • indigestion remedies;
  • plasters;
  • thermometer.

Remember to read the information supplied with medications.

Back to the top

The UHS Nurse Practitioner Service

Nurse Practitioners are qualified nurses who have had additional training to allow them to treat a wide range of conditions including:

  • ear infections;
  • tonsilitis and sinusitis;
  • chest infections;
  • eye problems;
  • asthma;
  • skin conditions including eczema, bites & stings, abscess & wounds;
  • travel vaccinations and malaria tablets;
  • diarrhoea and constipation;
  • sexually-transmitted infections;
  • urinary infections;
  • contraception including first time pill requests;
  • emergency contraceptive pills.

Back to the top

Seeing a Doctor

General Practitioners are doctors who have received specialist training in community and family medicine.  They treat patients of all ages for conditions affecting all systems of the body.

You can book an appointment via the ShefUniHealth app, online, by telephone or by attending the reception desk in person.

Back to the top

Out of Hours (Nights/Weekends/Bank Holidays)

When the health centre is closed, there is always a doctor on call for emergencies.

We use the Sheffield GP out of hours collaborative and NHS 111.

Just call our usual number and follow the instructions: 0114 222 2100.

Dial 111 if your medical need is urgent but not an emergency.

Back to the top