Change of Programme - Change of Candidature

This page outlines the visa implications for students on a Tier 4 visa wishing to change their course or candidature and how to apply.


A change of course may require you to apply for a new Tier 4 visa. It is advised that you use the Self-Help Tool below to check what the visa implications are for your intended change of course before you continue.

Change of Course Self Help Tool

Where you applied for your visa before 6th April 2016 and you are changing your course or candidature, please contact International Student Support to see if you require a new visa.

Where you applied for your visa after 6th April 2016 and you are changing course, you do not need to apply for a new visa if:

  • your new course has the same mode of attendance and;
  • you will complete the new course before your existing visa expires and;
  • your new course is at the same level as the one for which your visa was issued and;
  • we can confirm your new course is related to the previous course or both courses combined support your career aspirations (only if you have previously studied in the UK with a Tier 4 Student visa)

Where your change of course does not meet the above requirements, you must apply for a new visa. Please read the academic progression information below to determine whether you can apply in the UK.

Where you are unsure, please read our frequently asked questions to determine if you need to apply for a new visa.

Changing Your Course Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 125kb)

Tier 4 Visa Conditions

Before changing programme or candidature you must consider the time limits attached to your visa and the academic progression requirements. These are outlined on the pages below.

How to Apply

Where you are an undergraduate or postgraduate taught student wishing to change your programme you must complete the application form below and submit it to your department.

Application to Change Programme of Study (PDF, 177kb)

Where you are a postgraduate research student wishing to change your candidature, you must follow the guidance below.

Where your new course requires ATAS clearance you must obtain this before your change of programme/candidature can be approved.

Changing Mode of Attendance (MOA)

From full-time to part-time

  • Where you are on a Tier 4 Student Visa you are not permitted to change your Mode of Attendance to part-time.
  • You may be entitled to apply for a visa in a different immigration category. Please contact the Student Advice Centre for information on this.

From part-time to full-time

  • Where you are changing your MOA to full-time, you can request a CAS from International Student Support to apply for a visa once your change of candidature is approved.

See Also: