Police Registration

Students may be required to register with the police after arriving in the UK as a condition of their Visa.

Who Needs to Register

  • Your visa decision letter (or e-mail), BRP card or visa vignette will state whether you are required to register with the Police after arriving in the UK.
  • You can also check if you need to register on the UKVI website.

You should contact International Student Support if:

  • You are from a country which requires police registration and
  • The length of visa you have been granted was more than 6 months or your visa was extended inside the UK and;
  • You did not receive a decision letter or e-mail when your visa was granted or;
  • You did receive a decision letter or e-mail, but it does not state that you need to register with the police

It is vital that you do register with the police if you need to. It is a legal requirement, and not optional.

If you do not register with the police when you need to, UKVI could decide that you have breached the conditions of your visa. This means that UKVI could:

  • Curtail (cancel) your current visa
  • Refuse future visa applications you make
  • Impose a 'ban' on you returning to the UK for a certain period in the future

How to Register

1. Where you are required to, please register online with South Yorkshire Police.

Register With South Yorkshire Police

2. Once you have registered, you must collect your Police Registration Certificate (PRC) at your chosen appointment. You must bring the following with you:

  • passport
  • BRP card
  • offer letter or CAS
  • accommodation contract
  • the registration fee of £34.00

3. Where the details on your BRP card are incorrect, you should create your account with the police within seven days of arriving in the UK and enter the incorrect details.

  • You must wait until you have received the correct BRP card before booking the appointment to collect your PRC.

If Your Details Change

You must report the following changes to the police within seven days:

  • change of address
  • change of passport
  • extension of stay granted by UKVI
  • change of course, school, college or University
  • change of name, marital status or birth of children
  • temporary absence of eight weeks or more from your registered address

Where your details change, you must book an appointment to have your existing PRC updated. You must bring the following with you:

  • CAS
  • passport
  • BRP card
  • accommodation contract

Report Change of Details