Students may be required to register with the police after arriving in the UK as a condition of their Visa.
- COVID-19 Update
- Who Needs to Register
- How to Register
- If Your Details Change
- Transferring From Another Police Force
- Leaving the UK
The information on this webpage is affected by new temporary guidance that has been released by UKVI in light of the situation with COVID-19. There is a summary of how this affects usual procedures here.
Who Needs to Register
- Your visa decision letter (or e-mail), BRP card or visa vignette will state whether you are required to register with the Police after arriving in the UK.
- You can also check if you need to register on the UKVI website.
You should contact International Student Support if:
- You are from a country which requires police registration and;
- The length of visa you have been granted was more than 6 months or your visa was extended inside the UK and;
- You did not receive a decision letter or e-mail when your visa was granted or;
- You did receive a decision letter or e-mail, but it does not state that you need to register with the police
It is vital that you do register with the police if you need to. It is a legal requirement, and not optional.
If you do not register with the police when you need to, UKVI could decide that you have breached the conditions of your visa. This means that UKVI could:
- Curtail (cancel) your current visa
- Refuse future visa applications you make
- Impose a 'ban' on you returning to the UK for a certain period in the future
How to Register
1. Where you are required to, please register online with South Yorkshire Police.
If you are registering with the police for the first time, it is important that you do not book a 'Change of Details' or 'Transfer' appointment. You must book one of the 'New Registration' venues. The police have advised that if you do, you will not be seen and you would have to then book another appointment which could be a number of weeks later. If all available appointments have been booked, the police have advised that you should check again for available appointments at the end of each month.
The police have advised that you should also book a 'New Registration' appointment if:
- your Police Registration Certificate is lost or stolen; OR
- your existing certificate is full and needs replacing
2. Once you have registered, you must collect your Police Registration Certificate (PRC) at your chosen appointment. You must bring the following with you:
- BRP card
- offer letter or CAS
- Visa decision letter
- accommodation contract
- the registration fee of £34.00
3. Where the details on your BRP card are incorrect, you should create your account with the police within seven days of arriving in the UK and enter the incorrect details.
- You must wait until you have received the correct BRP card before booking the appointment to collect your PRC.
Please note - Your appointment may take place several weeks after you have registered with the police online. This is o.k, and will not breach your visa conditions as long as you have registered online within 7 days of arriving in the UK. However, it is still important that that you attend your appointment with the police because the process is not complete until you have received your certificate at your appointment with them. You need to complete this process to continue to meet the conditions of your visa.
If you are registered with another police force because you do not live in Sheffield, please contact the police force local to where you live for instructions on what you should do.
If Your Details Change
After you have registered with the police for the first time, you must report the following changes to the police within seven days:
- change of address
- change of passport
- extension of stay granted by UKVI
- change of course, school, college or University
- change of name, marital status or birth of children
- temporary absence of eight weeks or more from your registered address
Where your details change, you must book an appointment to have your existing PRC updated. You must bring the following with you:
- CAS or Certificate of Student Status (if you have changed course)
- BRP card
- accommodation contract
If you have already registered with South Yorkshire police, but your details have changed it is important that you do not book a 'New registration' or 'Transfer' appointment. You must book a 'Change of Details' appointment.
If you have registered online but do not have a certificate:
If you have registered online, but have not been given your police registration certificate yet, you will not be able to log into your online account. Instead, you can contact the police via email at email@example.com. They can then then include both the new and old details on your certificate when they are able to see you. In the email, please include your:
- full name
- date of birth
- username for your online account with South Yorkshire Police
Where you have been granted a new visa overseas after being absent from the UK for more than two months, you should confirm this to the police when you register your new visa with them. They can then retrospectively add the information about your absence from the UK to your certificate.
Reporting a change of course end date
Your course end date may change - for example if you have a leave of absence, extension or if you are repeating modules.
If you are registered with the police, once your student record is updated, you must send an email with details of your new course end date to the police:
Email South Yorkshire Police
In the email, please include:
- your full name
- your date of birth
- your username for your online account with South Yorkshire Police
Transferring From Another Police Force
You need to inform the police of any change of address within 7 days, including where you have moved from an area of the UK administered by one police force, to an area administered by a different police force.
If you have registered with the police before, but you are registering with South Yorkshire Police for the first time, it is important that you do not book a 'New Registration' or 'Change of Details' appointment. You must book a 'Transfer' appointment.
Leaving The UK
From July 2021, South Yorkshire Police have confirmed that if you’re leaving the UK for more than two months, you must update your police registration certificate to confirm this before you leave the UK.
To do this, you will need to:
- Update your online account
- Book a ‘Change of Details’ appointment. It is important that you do not book a ‘New registration’ or ‘Transfer’ appointment
If you do not have your certificate yet, or if you can’t find an available appointment to update your certificate, you should send an email to South Yorkshire Police:
In the email, please include your:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Username for your online account with South Yorkshire Police
You do not need to return your certificate to the police, and you should take your police registration certificate with you when you travel and carry as evidence in your hand luggage when you return to the UK to show you have met this condition of your visa.
- have already left the UK before your certificate has been updated; and
- if you are applying for a new visa overseas
When you return to the UK, you should inform the police of your absence when you register your new visa with them. They can then add the details to your certificate.
If you do not live in South Yorkshire and you are registered with another police force, you should contact the local police force that you are registered with for instructions on what you need to do.