Students may be required to register with the police after arriving in the UK as a condition of their Visa.
The information on this webpage is affected by new temporary guidance that has been released by UKVI in light of the situation with COVID-19. There is a summary of how this affects usual procedures here.
Who Needs to Register
- Your visa decision letter (or e-mail), BRP card or visa vignette will state whether you are required to register with the Police after arriving in the UK.
- You can also check if you need to register on the UKVI website.
You should contact International Student Support if:
- You are from a country which requires police registration and;
- The length of visa you have been granted was more than 6 months or your visa was extended inside the UK and;
- You did not receive a decision letter or e-mail when your visa was granted or;
- You did receive a decision letter or e-mail, but it does not state that you need to register with the police
It is vital that you do register with the police if you need to. It is a legal requirement, and not optional.
If you do not register with the police when you need to, UKVI could decide that you have breached the conditions of your visa. This means that UKVI could:
- Curtail (cancel) your current visa
- Refuse future visa applications you make
- Impose a 'ban' on you returning to the UK for a certain period in the future
How to Register
1. Where you are required to, please register online with South Yorkshire Police.
If you are registering with the police for the first time, it is important that you do not book a 'Change of Details' appointment. You should book one of the new registration venues. The police have advised that if you do, you will not be seen and you would have to then book another appointment which could be a number of weeks later. If all available appointments have been booked, you should wait a couple of days and then check the diary again.
2. Once you have registered, you must collect your Police Registration Certificate (PRC) at your chosen appointment. You must bring the following with you:
- BRP card
- offer letter or CAS
- Visa decision letter
- accommodation contract
- the registration fee of £34.00
3. Where the details on your BRP card are incorrect, you should create your account with the police within seven days of arriving in the UK and enter the incorrect details.
- You must wait until you have received the correct BRP card before booking the appointment to collect your PRC.
If Your Details Change
You must report the following changes to the police within seven days:
- change of address
- change of passport
- extension of stay granted by UKVI
- change of course, school, college or University
- change of name, marital status or birth of children
- temporary absence of eight weeks or more from your registered address
Where your details change, you must book an appointment to have your existing PRC updated. You must bring the following with you:
- BRP card
- accommodation contract
Leaving The UK
South Yorkshire Police have advised us that if you are leaving the UK permanently, you should return your police registration certificate to them.
If you are leaving the UK for a limited period of time, for example if you are taking a leave of absence, you should also return your certificate to them. They will keep this for up to a year and we understand that they will be able to return the certificate to you if you return within this time.