EU Students and Brexit

This page provides information on the EU Settlement Scheme for EU students wishing to remain in the UK after the government leaves the EU.

New Students

New students from the EU,EEA and Switzeland will still be able to travel to the UK and study without needing a visa until 31 December 2020.

If you wish to continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020, you can then make an application under the EU Settlement Scheme before 30 June 2021.

Where you arrive in the UK before 31st December 2020, but you intend to leave the UK again and return to the UK after 31st December 2020, we would advise you to submit an application under the EU Settlement Scheme as soon as possible. You should wait until you have obtained your pre-settled, or settled status before you leave the UK. The time it takes to get your application result can vary, so you should apply in good time before the date you plan to leave the UK.

If you will be arriving in the UK after 11pm on 31 December 2020, you will need to obtain a visa under the new student visa route which will go live in October 2020.


You can book a 1:1 appointment for assistance with any queries you have regarding Brexit and for help with submitting an application under the EU Settlement Scheme. This includes use of a device which is compatible with the app used for confirming your identity.

If you are a student applying just for yourself, you can contact International Student Support to book an appointment.

If you are a student applying with family members, or if you are applying as a family member of an EU/EEA national, you should contact the Student Advice Centre.

Brexit Information Sessions

The slides from the latest Brexit information session which took place on 14th January 2020 can be downloaded below:

Brexit Information Session 14 01 20 slides (PDF, 2.8MB)

EU Settlement Scheme

Details on the EU Settlement Scheme are still being finalised by the UK government and are subject to change.

Where you are an EU student, the EU Settlement Scheme allows you to apply for settled or pre-settled status to continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020.

Applications are now open for everyone. The application is free of charge.

Settled Status

You will be granted settled status or indefinite leave where:

  • you have been in the UK for a continuous period of five years; and
  • you have not been absent from the UK for more than 6 months in any 12 month period (no restriction on the number of absences)

A single period of absence for more than six months but not exceeding 12 months is permitted where it is for an important reason such as:

  • study
  • childbirth
  • pregnancy
  • serious illness
  • overseas posting
  • vocational training
  • coronavirus related absence from the UK

You must provide relevant evidence (e.g. letters from a doctor, educational institution or relevant government body).

Where you have had any absences of 12 months or longer we recommend seeking advice prior to making an application.

Any period of absence on compulsory military service is permitted.

Please visit the page below for more information.

Pre-Settled Status

You will be granted pre-settled status or limited leave where:

  • you have been in the UK for less than five years; or
  • you cannot prove that you have been resident in the UK for five years

You will be granted 5 years limited leave to remain during which your rights to healthcare, work arrangements and access to benefits will continue.

You will be eligible to apply for settled status or indefinite leave to remain free of charge as soon as you have completed 5 years continuous residence in the UK.

How to Apply

To apply under this scheme you must provide evidence of your residence in the UK, acceptable documents include:

  • permanent residence card
  • National Insurance number
  • letters from education and healthcare providers

A full list of acceptable evidence can be found on the page below.

Where you can provide a permanent residence card, you will not have to pay for your application.

Where you have a National Insurance number, your work records will be automatically accessed as part of the application and used to calculate your length of residence.

For further information on how to apply, please visit the page below.

For information and tips on the application process from fellow international students, please visit the pages below.

Where you have any further questions, please email International Student Support.

Frequently Asked Questions

See Also

Where you are an EU student coming to the UK from 2018 onwards, the video below provides information on fees, visas and funding.