Academic Progression for New Students
New students applying for a Student Visa must show they are making academic progress from any course previously studied in the UK.
New students applying to the University who have never studied before in the UK are not subject to these requirements.
Academic Progression requirements
Academic progression is required for you to be issued a CAS for your new course and determines whether you can apply in the UK for your new Student visa.
Your application will meet the academic progression criteria if:
- You are applying for a course at a higher level than your previous course (e.g. applying for a Masters after completing a Bachelor’s degree).
- You are applying for a course at the same level as your previous course (e.g. applying for a second Masters) and both courses are related or both courses combined will support your career goals.
- You have not completed your previous course but the Admissions Service deems your reason for study valid.
Your application will not meet the academic progression criteria if:
- You are applying for a course at a lower level than your previous course (e.g. applying for a Bachelor’s after completing a Masters).
- You have not completed your previous course and the Admissions Service deems your reason for study invalid.
Where you do not meet the requirements, you may be assigned a CAS in exceptional circumstances if you submit your visa application from outside the UK.
Please contact International Student Support for more information.
Requirements for applying inside the UK
If you wish to start a new course in the UK, you must apply for a new Student Visa using your CAS from the University of Sheffield.
You can only apply inside the UK if:
- You have successfully completed your previous course and can provide evidence of this (e.g. you have a degree certificate).
Where you will not receive the results of your previous course by the time your new course starts (e.g. Masters to PhD), you can only apply for a new visa in the UK if:
- You can provide an official letter from your University confirming that you are highly likely to successfully complete your course. This must be stated as the offer document on your CAS.
You cannot apply inside the UK if:
- You did not successfully complete your previous course (e.g. you withdrew from your studies or did not receive the level of qualifications as expected).
You must return home to apply for your new Student visa before you start your new course.