Applying for a Tier 4 Visa Inside the UK
Students can follow the steps below to apply for a Tier 4 Visa inside the UK.
- Step 1: Request a CAS
- Step 2: Check academic progression requirements
- Step 3: Check your details
- Step 4: Prepare supporting documents
- Step 5: Complete visa application form
- Step 6: Send supporting documents
- Step 7: Enrol your biometrics
- Step 8: Check for errors
- See also
Step 1: Request a CAS
- When you receive your unconditional offer, please follow the instructions given to you by our Admissions Service.
- Please request your CAS from International Student Support using the email below, including your full name and registration number.
Step 2: Check academic progression requirements
Once your CAS has been issued, you must check that your course meets the following academic progression requirements:
- Your new course must be at a higher academic level than your current course.
- You can only apply to study a course at the same level as your previous course (e.g. a second masters) if both courses are related or deemed to support your career goals by the Admissions Service.
- You can only apply in the UK if you have successfully completed your previous course of if you can provide official evidence that you will successfully complete this.
- Where you are applying to study a course at a lower level (e.g. MEng to BEng) you must apply from outside the UK instead.
- Where you are extending your Tier 4 visa to continue a course, please visit the page below to determine whether you can apply inside the UK.
For more information, visit the page below.
Where you are unsure, you can book to attend our immigration advice session.
Step 3: Check your details
Once your CAS has been issued, please check it carefully to ensure:
- all of your details and your course details are correct
- your CAS shows any fee payments to the University
- your CAS has a note to confirm details of any scholarships you receive
- your CAS shows any accommodation payments you have made to the University (if applicable)
Step 4: Prepare financial and supporting documents
Once you have confirmed your eligibility you need to prepare your financial and supporting documents.
- To meet the financial requirements you must have held the required minimum balance in your bank account for at least 28 days before you submit your application.
- You must submit the bank document with your visa application within 31 days of receiving it.
- The submission date for your visa application is the date that you pay your application fee online.
- Any dependents applying with you must also meet the financial requirements.
Step 5: Complete visa application form
Once you have prepared your documents you must complete the visa application form. We have prepared a guide to help you with this in the 'See Also' section below.
- You must pay the visa fees and the Immigration Health Surcharge.
Where you have booked an appointment on the Visa Extension Scheme, you will be informed where to stop and save your application so an advisor can check the form and make any necessary amendments.
Step 6: Submitting supporting documents
Once you have completed the visa application form, you will be invited to create an account on the UKVCAS website. This is run UKVI's commercial partner, Sopra Steria. You must book an appointment to submit your biometrics and supporting documents in person at a UKVCAS centre, and you will be invited to upload copies of your supporting documents online.
- Where you have booked an appointment on the Visa Extensions Scheme (VES) you will be asked to send scanned copies of your supporting documents before your appointment with International Student Support. These will be uploaded to your UKVCAS account during the VES appointment.
- You will be able to keep your passport and other evidence and take this to your appointment at the UKVCAS centre. However, your application will be treated as withdrawn if you travel outside the Common Travel Area (UK, Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) after you have made an immigration application. To return, you must make another application outside the UK.
Please see the 'See Also' section below for a more detailed guide of how Sopra Steria's Front End Service appointment system works.
Step 7: Enrol your biometrics
- You will enrol your biometrics on the date and time that you have booked to attend at a UKVCAS centre. You must take your passport(s) to this appointment, and you should take all other supporting documents for your visa application as well.
Step 8: Check for errors
Where your visa application has been granted, check the length and conditions of your visa are correct.
Where anything on your visa vignette or your visa decision letter is incorrect, please contact your Visa Application Centre.
Where your application has been refused, please complete the form below.
Where you encounter any further problems, visit the page below.
For any further questions, please contact:
* * Please note that this application form guide was correct at the time it was published. UKVI can make changes to their visa application forms at short notice, and as such, it is possible that there could be additional questions or questions in a slightly different order to those outlined in this guide.