Tier 4 Supporting Documents
This page outlines the supporting documents required when applying for a Tier 4 Student visa.
The Home Office now accepts both original and copies of original documents.
Documents provided must be in English otherwise you must provide a certified English translation of your document within your application.
Where you are from a low risk country and/or part of the Tier 4 Pilot Scheme, you do not need to submit financial documents or academic qualifications with your visa application .
However, the caseworker can request to see these so you must ensure you have the correct documents as outlined below.
- Passport or Travel Document
- Police Registration Certificate
- Confirmation of Acceptance Studies (CAS)
- Financial Documents
- Parental Consent (under 18)
- Academic Qualifications
- Tuberculosis Test Certificate (applying outside UK)
- Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
- See also
Passport or Travel Document
You must provide a current and valid passport or travel document.
Police Registration Certificate
Where you are registered with the Police, you must submit your police registration certificate. Please ensure your address is up to date.
Where you are applying outside the UK only, you must provide two passport sized colour photographs that comply with Home Office requirements.
Confirmation of Acceptance Studies (CAS)
You must write your CAS reference number given to you by the University on your application form.
You must provide evidence to show you have adequate funds available for your first year’s tuition fees and maintenance/living expenses.
Non-original printed documents must be stamped by the bank on each page.
You must show that you have held the correct amount of money for at least 28 consecutive days before the date you complete your visa application online.
Your funds must not have dropped below the required amount during this time.
Acceptable documents include:
- a letter confirming your Education Loan
- a current bank statement dated no more than 31 days old
- a bank letter dated no more than 31 days old confirming your funds have been held for 28 days
- a deposit certificate issued at least 28 days after the date of deposit and dated no more than 31 days old
Students Using Parent’s Bank Account
Where you are using your parent’s bank account, you must provide all of the following documents:
letter from your parent/guardian confirming their relationship to you and their permission for you to use their funds
- legal document confirming your relationship with your parent/guardian (birth certificate, adoption certificate or court document)
- an original bank statement or letter from your parent/guardian (which meet the above requirements)
Where you are partly or fully sponsored by an official financial sponsor you must submit a letter confirming the details of the funding. Any dependants must also be named on the letter for the funds to be counted towards their maintenance.
Sponsor letters are only accepted from:
- the British Council
- the British government or your home government
- an international organisation or company (with an office in more than one country)
Where you were previously financially sponsored for both tuition and living expenses by a government or international scholarship agency 12 months prior to your new application, you must provide a letter from your past financial sponsor giving unconditional consent for you to remain and re-enter the UK.
Examples of Financial Documents
Parental Consent (under 18)
Where you are under 18 you must provide:
- a letter from your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) giving their consent to your application
- a letter from your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) giving their consent to you living and travelling independently in the UK
- evidence of the relationship between you and your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) (e.g. birth certificate, adoption certificate, court letter)
Where you are applying outside the UK, you must provide your original academic qualification certificates as listed in your CAS statement.
Where you are applying within the UK, you must also provide your original academic qualification certificates as well as evidence that you have successfully completed your previous course.
Acceptable evidence includes:
- degree certificate or official transcripts confirming your award
- successful completion letter
- a-levels results
Tuberculosis Test Certificate (applying outside the UK)
Where you are applying outside the UK from a country that requires a TB test certificate, you must include this within your application.
Please visit the page below to check if you need to provide a TB test certificate:
Where your course requires ATAS clearance you must apply for an ATAS clearance certificate and provide this with your visa application.
Please visit the page below to check if you need to provide an ATAS clearance certificate:
Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
Where you have a BRP, you must submit this as part of your application.
Where you are applying outside the UK, you will need to enrol your biometrics at a visa application centre as part of your application.
Where you are applying inside the UK you will need to enrol your biometrics at a UKVCAS centre operated by the Home Office's commercial partner, Sopra Steria. You will be given a deadline by which to attend your appointment when you submit the payment for your visa application online. You will then be directed to the UKVCAS website to book your appointment.
Where you have translated an original document into English, the translation must include:
- Date of translation
- Translator or translation company’s details
- Signature of the translator or an authorised official
- Details of the translator’s credentials (only if applying in the UK)
- A sentence confirming it is an accurate translation of the original document