New CAS for Continuing Students

Continuing students wishing to extend or renew their Student Visa can apply for a new CAS number from International Student Support.

When to Request a New CAS

Where you are a new student you should request your CAS with the Admissions Team.

Where you are a continuing student, you may require a new CAS if you are:

  • repeating/resitting modules
  • returning from a Leave of Absence
  • upgrading to an integrated degree programme
  • continuing a degree course following repeats/resits
  • downgrading from an integrated degree programme
  • a candidate for the Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES)
  • a PhD/MPhil candidate requesting a time extension to submit/resubmit/attend Viva
  • changing to a new degree programme following a Change of Status/Change of Candidature


How to Request a New CAS Number

Where you are applying inside the UK, you should request a new CAS three months before your current leave expires.

Where you are applying outside the UK, you can request your CAS at any time. However, we advise you request a new CAS three months before submitting a new visa application.

1. Please send your request in writing to International Student Support at the email below, including your full name and registration number.

2. You will be issued a CAS application form by the CAS Team which you must review and send back.

3. Where you are a non-low risk national, you will receive an email with instructions for submitting supporting financial documents.

4. The CAS team will request any supporting information required (e.g. copy of new passport, boarding pass or passport stamp as evidence of leaving the UK).

5. Once your CAS has been approved, your information will be submitted to the Home Office.

6. You will then receive an email confirming your new CAS number. You can view your CAS statement by logging into MUSE.


New CAS and Doctorate Extension Scheme

Where you are a current PhD student wishing to apply for a CAS under the Doctorate Extension Scheme, please visit the page below for information on eligibility requirements and how to apply.


CAS Issue Policy

The University of Sheffield issues CAS in accordance with the rules set out by UKVI. If we have reason to believe you will not be able to meet the requirements for successfully obtaining a Student Visa, we reserve the right to decline your CAS application.

Examples of such instances can be but are not limited to:

  • Not meeting the Student visa maintenance requirements.
  • If you have exceeded or will exceed the student Visa time limits set by UKVI.
  • If you have used deception in a previous visa application.
  • If you have previously overstayed your visa.


See also: