Visa Extension Scheme
The Visa Extension Scheme is a service run by the International Student Support Team to assist students with their Tier 4 visa application.
- Services Offered
- How to Use the Visa Extension Scheme
- Before Your Appointment
- During Your Appointment
- After Your Appointment
Our trained immigration advisors will:
- check your visa application and supporting documents
- post your supporting documents to the Home Office (for standard or priority service applications)
How to Use the Visa Extension Scheme
- Where you are a new student you will need your CAS to be issued before booking an appointment.
- Where you are a continuing student you will be invited to book an appointment when your CAS is authorised.
- You can book an appointment online or in person by visiting level 6 in the Students' Union.
- Please ensure you mention any dependants included in your application.
Before Your Appointment
1. Decide which application service you wish to use.
2. Bring your payment card and ensure you have sufficient funds in your account for the application fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge.
3. Where your course requires ATAS clearance, apply at least six weeks before your appointment. If you are unsure whether you require an ATAS certificate, visit the page below.
4. Start to fill in your Tier 4 application.
- Fill in your application and stop once you have completed the document checklist. Do not complete the declaration or proceed to the Immigration Health Surcharge page.
- Select “return to this application later” and then “e-mail this link”.
- Open this link at your appointment for the advisor to check your answers.
5. Gather your supporting documents.
Please visit the page below for examples of the supporting documents required for your Tier 4 application.
6. Attend your appointment.
- You must arrive 10 minutes before your appointment and report to the Student Support and Guidance office reception on level 6 of the Students’ Union.
During Your Appointment
1. Access your e-mail link from UKVI with your saved online application form.
2. Your supporting documents will then be checked.
3. Your adviser will print the application coversheet to send with your supporting documents.
4. Once your application has been checked by an adviser, you can pay and submit your application.
After Your Appointment
Where you are using the standard or priority service:
1. International Student Support will either scan or post your documents, passport and visa application to the UKVI using special delivery.
2. UKVI will send your Biometric Enrolment Letter to the address on your application.
3. You must follow the instructions on your letter and have your biometrics taken.
4. Once your biometrics have been taken, your application can take between 8-12 weeks to be processed.
5. You may be asked to attend a credibility interview whilst your application is under consideration.
6. We will contact you once we receive your BRP and supporting documents, and will provide instructions about collecting them from our office.
Where you are using the premium service:
- Your adviser will return your documents to you to take to your appointment at UKVI.
- No biometric letter will be issued.
You can still use the Visa Extension Scheme for applications regarding:
- children born in the UK
- those switching form another immigration category to a dependant of a Tier 4 student
- children switching from being a dependant of one parent to the dependant of their other parent.
Please ensure babies/children have a passport or temporary travel document.