Visa Extension Scheme
The Visa Extension Scheme is a service run by the International Student Support Team to assist students with their Tier 4 visa application.
IMPORTANT UPDATE - In light of the current situation regarding COVID-19, the International Student Support office and reception is currently closed. Whilst we are offering some limited appointments face to face at a temporary location, we regret that we cannot currently offer the Visa Extension Scheme Service face to face.
For applications to be submitted inside the UK, we will still be offering a service to check Tier 4 and PBS Dependant visa application forms and supporting documents remotely for our students and their family members. Please contact International Student Support if you wish to use this service and we will send you further instructions on what to do next.
- Services Offered
- How to Use the Visa Extension Scheme
- Before Your Appointment
- During Your Appointment
- After Your Appointment
Our trained immigration advisers will:
- check your visa application and supporting documents
- help you book an appointment at a UKVCAS Centre run by UKVI's commercial partner, Sopra Steria.
- help upload scanned copies of your supporting documents to your UKVCAS account online (you need to send scanned copies of the supporting documents to International Student Support before your Visa Extension Scheme appointment)
How to Use the Visa Extension Scheme
- Where you are a new student you will need your CAS to be issued before booking an appointment.
- Where you are a continuing student you will be invited to book an appointment when your CAS is authorised.
- You can book an appointment online or in person by visiting level 6 in the Students' Union.
- Please ensure you mention any dependants included in your application.
Before Your Appointment
1. Bring your payment card and ensure you have sufficient funds in your account for the application fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge.
2. Where your course requires ATAS clearance, apply at least six weeks before your appointment. If you are unsure whether you require an ATAS certificate, visit the page below.
3. Start to fill in your Tier 4 application.
- Fill in your application and stop once you have completed the document checklist. Do not complete the declaration or proceed to the Immigration Health Surcharge page.
- Select “return to this application later” and then “e-mail this link”.
- Send this link to International Student Support, and open this link at your appointment for the advisor to check your answers.
4. Gather your supporting documents and send scanned copies of them to International Student Support.
Please visit the page below for examples of the supporting documents required for your Tier 4 application.
5. Attend your appointment.
- You must arrive 10 minutes before your appointment and report to the Student Support and Guidance office reception on level 6 of the Students’ Union.
Please Note - Before attending your appointment, please ensure that you understand the University's responsibilities as a Tier 4 sponsor. As employees of the University of Sheffield, staff in the International Student Support Team are also subject to these responsibilities. Before attending an appointment with International Student Support, you will be asked to read this statement.
During Your Appointment
1. Access your e-mail link from UKVI with your saved online application form.
2. Your supporting documents will then be checked.
3. Once your application has been checked by an adviser, you can pay for and submit your application.
4. Your adviser will print the application coversheet to take to your appointment at a UKVCAS centre with your supporting documents.
5. You will book an appointment at a UKVCAS centre to enrol your biometrics and take your supporting documents.
6. Your adviser will help upload scanned copies of your supporting documents to your UKVCAS account online.
After Your Appointment
1. You will attend the appointment you have booked at a UKVCAS centre on time. You must take your passport(s) and other supporting documents to this appointment.
2. Once your biometrics have been taken, your application can take between 8-12 weeks to be processed if you have used the standard service, 5 working days if you have used the priority service, or one day if you have used the super-premium service.
3. You may be asked to attend a credibility interview whilst your application is under consideration.
4. We will contact you once we receive your BRP and supporting documents, and will provide instructions about collecting them from our office.
You can still use the Visa Extension Scheme for applications regarding:
- children born in the UK
- those switching form another immigration category to a dependant of a Tier 4 student
- children switching from being a dependant of one parent to the dependant of their other parent.
Please ensure babies/children have a passport or temporary travel document.