Visa Extension Scheme
The Visa Extension Scheme is a service run by the International Student Support Team to assist students with their Student visa application.
IMPORTANT UPDATE - In light of the current situation regarding COVID-19, the International Student Support office and reception is currently closed. We regret that we cannot currently offer the Visa Extension Scheme Service face to face.
Due to capacity issues we regret that from 1 July 2021 we are temporarily suspending the Visa Extension Scheme service until further notice. This means that it will not be possible for you to book a full 1:1 check of your visa application. We have developed a number of resources that will help you prepare your visa application here. If you require further assistance, please contact International Student Support and we will look into how we can assist you further.
- Services Offered
- How to Use the Visa Extension Scheme
- Before Your Appointment
- During Your Appointment
- After Your Appointment
Our trained immigration advisers will:
- check your visa application and supporting documents
- help you book an appointment at a UKVCAS Centre run by UKVI's commercial partner, Sopra Steria.
- help upload scanned copies of your supporting documents to your UKVCAS account online (you need to send scanned copies of the supporting documents to International Student Support before your Visa Extension Scheme appointment)
How to Use the Visa Extension Scheme
- Where you are a new student* you will need your CAS to be issued before booking an appointment.
- Where you are a continuing student you will be invited to book an appointment when your CAS is authorised.
- You can book an appointment online or in person by visiting level 6 in the Students' Union.
- Please ensure you mention any dependants included in your application.
* We regret that we are not offering 1:1 Visa Extension Scheme appointments to students progressing from The University of Sheffield International College (USIC) to The University of Sheffield in 2021. For students progressing from USIC we will be offering alternative support, and you will be informed of what this is in due course.
Before Your Appointment
1. Bring your payment card and ensure you have sufficient funds in your account for the application fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge.
2. Where your course requires ATAS clearance, apply at least six weeks before your appointment. If you are unsure whether you require an ATAS certificate, visit the page below.
3. Start to fill in your Student Visa application form.
- Fill in your application and stop once you have completed the document checklist. Do not complete the declaration or proceed to the Immigration Health Surcharge page.
- Select “return to this application later” and then “e-mail this link”.
- Send this link to International Student Support, and open this link at your appointment for the advisor to check your answers.
4. Gather your supporting documents and send scanned copies of them to International Student Support.
Please visit the page below for examples of the supporting documents required for your Student Visa application.
5. Attend your appointment.
- You must arrive 10 minutes before your appointment and report to the Student Support and Guidance office reception on level 6 of the Students’ Union.
Please Note - Before attending your appointment, please ensure that you understand the University's responsibilities as a Student Visa sponsor. As employees of the University of Sheffield, staff in the International Student Support Team are also subject to these responsibilities. Before attending an appointment with International Student Support, you will be asked to read this statement.
During Your Appointment
1. Access your e-mail link from UKVI with your saved online application form.
2. Your supporting documents will then be checked.
3. Once your application has been checked by an adviser, you can pay for and submit your application.
4. Your adviser will help upload scanned copies of your supporting documents to your UKVCAS account online.
5. You will need to wait 7-9 days for an email from UKVCAS to confirm if you can use an app to give your biometrics or if you must book an appointment at a UKVCAS centre.
After Your Appointment
1. If you need to attend a UKVCAS appointment (please see above), you must attend the appointment you have booked at a UKVCAS centre on time. You must take your passport(s) and other supporting documents to this appointment.
2. Once your biometrics have been taken, your application can take between 8-12 weeks to be processed if you have used the standard service, 5 working days if you have used the priority service, or one day if you have used the super-premium service.
3. You may be asked to attend a credibility interview whilst your application is under consideration.
4. We will contact you once we receive your BRP and supporting documents, and will provide instructions about collecting them from our office.
You can still use the Visa Extension Scheme for applications regarding:
- children born in the UK
- those switching form another immigration category to a dependant of a student
- children switching from being a dependant of one parent to the dependant of their other parent.
Please ensure babies/children have a passport or temporary travel document.