Before you Arrive

This page provides information and advice for new international students preparing to move to Sheffield.

Please visit the page below for immigration advice regarding your arrival in the UK.

Travelling to Sheffield

During the main arrivals period in September each year, you can book a place on our Meet & Greet service that takes you by coach from Manchester Airport to Sheffield, accompanied by our Student Ambassadors. 

For further information about travelling to Sheffield using public transport please visit the page below.


Pre-Registration and Orientation

Before you arrive, please ensure you have undertaken your pre-registration tasks. The page below outlines the pre-registration tasks you must complete once you have accepted your offer.

Where you are going to arrive late in Sheffield you must contact us in advance. Under Student Visa regulations, we are required to report students who fail to register within the set registration period.

Visit the page below for more information on what to do before and after registration.

Before you arrive, you can download our iSheffield mobile app which offers campus maps and course information to make your transition easier.

You can also register to take part in our Orientation which offers a range of events and activities for new students. For more information and how to register, visit the page below.


Accommodation and Council Tax

University Accommodation

In University accommodation, you will be living with fellow new students close to the University campus.

You can choose which room type and location you would prefer, and you will always have a bedroom to yourself.

We also offer accommodation for students with families and additional support requirements.

Private Accommodation

Where you wish to move into private accommodation in Sheffield, our “Smart Move” service can assist you by ensuring your accommodation and landlord meet our requirements.

Council Tax

Where you own or rent a property in the UK you are required to pay council tax.

You are exempt from paying if you are in full time education and provide the council with a Council Tax Exemption Certificate. This can be obtained via My Services in MUSE or from SSiD in the Students' Union.

For more information on Council Tax exemption, including applying with dependants, please visit the page below.


Academic and Language Preparation

The following resources will help you to prepare for your study in the UK. The Academic Skills Hub provides specific advice and guidance for studying at the University in Sheffield.

Where your offer to study at Sheffield is conditional on your English language or you wish to improve your language skills, we recommend undertaking a preparatory course at our English Language Teaching Centre (ELTC).


Students With Children

For information on applying for a Student Visa with child dependants, please visit the page below.

Where you are coming to live in the UK with children aged between 5-16 years, you must contact the Education Department online or in person to apply for a school place.

Contact Sheffield City Council Education Department

Where you are not offered a place at your chosen school, you have the right to appeal. You can contact the Student Advice Centre for appeal advice.

Responsibilities and Academic Term Dates

  • Under UK law children must be in full-time education from the beginning of the school term following their 5th birthday.
  • Where you need to take your child out of school for any reason, you should notify the school as soon as possible.
  • Where your child will be collected by someone other than you, this must be discussed in advance with the school.

For more information on school attendance and absences, visit the government website below.

The academic school year does not correspond exactly with University term dates. For information about school term dates please visit the page below.

For general information on being a student with children, please visit the page below.



Download Preparing for Sheffield (PDF, 4,035KB)